Moderation shmoderation

Options
124»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yup. And often, it's not worth it. I very often choose not to eat some of those foods. (For me it's mostly salt chips and what not, these days, my craving for sweets went away after I went cold turkey off sweets for a few weeks many many years ago).

NOT doing moderation (as defined by MFP users) is a totally valid choice.

So true. It's all about what works for the individual.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I prefer to spend my time focused on the big picture which for me is health and happiness. My time is better spent focused on enjoying eating in a way that works for my goals. Moderate portions, moderate frequency, elimination, feasting, fasting... I do all of it depending on whatever makes my life more enjoyable. I'm not interested in willpower merit badges.
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hahaha im the same! So I no longer have "free for all" options. I dont keep bags of candy or chips around, instead I buy pre - portioned treats that are healthier and/or organic. I have a fee few restrictions so knowing I cant eat a lot of junk really helps, too. I have no self control so I don't even start!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am doing forced moderation. If I want a sweet, I buy one. I spend extra to get a single serving pack of something or I go to the bakery and buy one cookie or cupcake or doughnut. I do not have them in the house because I still have not learned how to control my impulses to where I can take 2 Oreos out of a package and leave the rest alone. Portioning and bagging up single portions also does not work. I will go and grab a couple of bags.

Part of the secret is being honest with yourself. If you know you have poor impulse control, keep yourself in a position where you just don't have access. Nothing wrong with admitting where you are not perfect.

Yep. It may be temporary, it may be permanent. But you'll lose weight while figuring it out :)

There are a few things I am better at. I now am able to keep peanut butter and almonds in my car. They are there when I need or really want them, but not available for the mindless eating I have been known to do, especially at night. I live on the second floor and park in underground parking. I am not going to run down 2 flights of stairs in my pj's to get the bag of almonds. Eventually I hope to be able to keep them in the house. Baby steps.

That's a great strategy!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there wonder how it is that people can say, "it's ok to have sweets, just so long as it's in moderation."? What?! If I have a doughnut, I want 2. If I grab an m&m from the candy bowl once, you can bet I'll be back around for a 2nd, 3rd and let's be honest, 4th, 5th and 6th. If anyone out there has struggled with this same problem and figured out a cure to this, please please enlighten me. I can't imagine depriving myself of deliciousness forever but I also don't want to go to bed hating myself for one small bite that turned into a weekend long binge. Sincerely, CadburyEgg SugarComa

in which case your problem is self control
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I let my kid have the same quantity of binge item I'm having... Which is what limits us to 3 peanutbutter M&M's a day from the Easter basket. (I opened the pack of M&M's and put a couple into each plastic egg that she hunted down in the yard.) If I go back for seconds, the kid gets indignant and wants more, and I don't want to be running after a monster on a sugar high... Thus, I remain moderate. ;-)
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been eating things I liked till satisfied for most of my life. Just a little was never enough.

But once I started counting calories and really paying attention to food I eat and how I feel about it, I've realised it's the very first bite/gulp that has the biggest pleasure impact on me. That's when I meet the smell and the taste with a clean palette and feel them the most. Next few bites/gulps have a bit smaller impact but still bring a lot of pleasure. After few more eating turns into routine. Pleasant one but nowhere near as enjoyable as that first bite. So I try to get the biggest bang for the buck now. I really enjoy my small portions and then let the treat go until the next time when my palette is clean. And I know this next time will be soon as small portions mean I can afford treats every day.