5:2 diet

Options
starting the 5:2 diet tomorrow with Monday and Thursday being my fasting days. Really nervous and desperate to stick to it! Any else thinking of trying it/ got any advice? Add me!

Replies

• Alainalala
    Alainalala Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did it for a couple of months about a year ago. I had a hard time sticking to it long term but I enjoyed the process. Good luck!
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I would be interested to know how you get on. Are you following it on 500 calories on your fasting days? I know I couldn't get on with that. I would also worry that my portion control on the other 5 days wouldn't be good enough to enable me to lose weight. A fellow gym member has followed it and I think she has done reasonably well.
  • artimusdin
    artimusdin Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've tried it with good results, but some things about it:
    1) Listen to your body. If you need to eat, eat. Eventually you'll learn the signs of what your body is telling you, but occasionally it can be hard to figure out in the beginning. I know in the beginning, I kept something on me at all times to snack on, in case I got light headed due to unexpected exertions.
    2) You can eat a surprising amount of food and keep it at/around 500 calories. Eggs are your friend- vitamins AND protein! At the same time! Another favorite of mine: Refrigerator Oatmeal. Simple, filling, and depending on what you add to it, low in calories.
    3) Always remember: This is a flexible thing. You can't cut on your normal days? That's okay! Move it to another. The world doesn't end.
    I was on it for a few months, then due to Real Life stopped. I'm about to resume it again myself, depending on how life allows it.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    There's a 5:2 group on here which might be helpful to you:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it over 2 years now.. For me it's just a way of life.. Once or twice a week I fast, end of!!.. I'm kinda maintaining now but toying with losing a bit more... I might need to calorie count again to do that though as I've got so used to maintaining now without...

It's a great way to live & it's brilliant not to feel your on a diet anymore.. To start with spread your calories out like I did until you get used to the fasting then you'll be able to go all day with just one meal...

Don't stress about which days you fast, if something comes up, move it, it's very flexible... On a fast day water is your friend!!.. Good luck
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Been doing it since August 2012 both to lose weight and to maintain.

Definitely join the group on here for hints, tips and even recipes.
    Biggest piece of advice I would give is to remember it's supposed to be a slow, steady weight loss as you are meant to be eating normally on the five days.

And relax - keep the thought in your head that "it's only for one day" on your fast days, it's a very powerful mental tool. The first few fast days can be tough but it becomes easier and easier.