Friends not believing in cico

Options
my friend just text me she said I inspired her to loose some weight. She said she went out and get all this healthy food. It's all super healthy but it's all high calorie. She told me what she ate yesterday and while it was super healthy her calories were really high. and she doesn't exercise but she won't believe me that she needs to cut her calories to lose weight not just eat better. She wants me to help her but then argues with me when I try

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    When she gains on the high-calorie "healthy" maybe what you've told her will sink in.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If she won't listen, that's her problem. She'll just have to learn on her own. Tell her about MFP, maybe if she logs everything she eats (assuming she does it accurately) it will be an eye opener for her.
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is that people don't always want to hear what you have to say - even when you're telling them something you feel is truly beneficial. I know I used to be one those people. If I had spent half as much time actually changing my lifestyle as I did making excuses, I would have met my goal weight a long time ago. All you can do is to be an example. At some point she'll probably ask why this isn't working. Remind her gently again. You can even offer your help. She may or may not accept, but just be there as a friend when she's ready to listen. :smile: Good luck to you and your friend.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    my friend just text me she said I inspired her to loose some weight...but she won't believe me that she needs to cut her calories to lose weight not just eat better. She wants me to help her but then argues with me when I try

"I'm just telling you what works for me. Good luck!"
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Eating predominantly "high calorie healthy" and not exercising is what helped me to be 40+lbs overweight... So, good luck to her!

Sometimes people aren't ready to listen...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    They think it's too much work. A few months ago a coworker asked me what I was doing and that was her exact answer. And this morning she's complaining about the havoc her diabetes is putting her body through...she's in her late 20s with two boys to take care of.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Personally I would tell her that she needn't ask my help if she doesn't really want it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Meh...a lot of people don't believe in science in general...that's pretty much why the human race is doomed.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I bet she doesn't eat past 8pm either. She will learn from her failures what really works.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have (had?) a friend like this, too. She is bound and determined to find a doctor who will tell her that she has a medical condition as the reason why she "can't" lose weight, despite all medical tests coming back as normal. She won't count calories because she eats "clean" and exercises.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You don't have to believe in gravity for it to work. She dosnt have to believe in cico, she will still experience it working.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    "I'm so jealous! I would gain eating that much health food. Calorie counting is the only thing that works for me."
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I didn't believe it when my mom and dad told me that my 1st boyfriend growing up would not jump in a well and save me if I fell in! Did I believe them? Heck no! Some people just have to find out the hard way!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I would end it with, "You asked for my advice and I gave it. I'm not interested in arguing or trying to convince you."
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I got little to no support from my SO for the longest time over cutting down and counting calories on MFP for this very reason. We've both been attempting to lose some weight but like your friend, he thought just eating 'healthy foods' would do it. (Not that I can complain about him making healthier choices!)

He would kind of make fun of me for it, go "that's not a meal!" when I would have something smaller portioned than he did, or have something different than he was having because I wanted to fit my macros/calories. At the time I had no time at all to exercise (now I have a bit more freedom so I do!) so I was just eating a bit less to make up for it (MFP's default for me at sedentary). He dismissed my logic right out....until I lost 7 lbs. That got him curious enough to start logging his own food and realized just how much he was eating in in comparison to how much he was not moving. He and I are gamers so the whole "earning calories" from exercise or the concept of staying within his resource limits has hooked him right away.

Now, we're both a couple o' losers. XD

So let her do her thing. CICO works, and she'll just have to figure it out on her own. I think we all learn something by attrition. Go you for being such an inspiration! At least you have her going in the right direction (of wanting to work towards a goal).
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Send her some links to read that explain why CICO works.

She might have to learn the hard way, though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    yah I have friends like that...even a medical professional friend believes in "starvation mode"....I just nod my head and smile.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Meh...a lot of people don't believe in science in general...that's pretty much why the human race is doomed.

Ahah! Truth!
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just tell her this is the only way I know how to lose weight. If you know another way, you don't need my help.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I get this so much. I've had probably 5 people ask for my advice. I tell them, going over all the main bullet points. And they either think its too much work, or I can't possibly be telling the truth. These are also the people that tell me I'm going to blow away in the wind and ask me if I'm "done" yet. Out of those 5 people, 2 actually started using MFP, and started losing weight. The other three, lasted about a week and gave up