can anyone tell me will 300 crunches aday burn off belly fat?

Options
13»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    wcurudy wrote: »
    cbills65 wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Aside from planks and crunches (which have been discussed) what is the general consensus on best exercise to strengthen and define abs? Not spot reducing. Just concentrating on those muscles in particular.

I'm interested in this too. Especially if you have links to actual research, bro-science does nothing for me.

My suggestion would be to personally try a variety of ab exercises and see what works for you. We all have different strengths, leverage points and mechanics. An exercise that I find works a particular part well may have little impact on you (say I feel side bends work my obliques well and you don't feel it, your quadratus lumborum muscle may be too dominant to allow the obliques to work).

Since you want actual research: http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/abdominal.html
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I find the exercises on the P90X Ab Ripper X DVD to be a great workout for the 20 minutes it is, and it's a lot easier on my lower back than crunches.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Okay okay maybe I wasn't taking this thread too seriously.
    Fwiw, here is my ab routine, which I do 2/3 times a week (when I can be bothered. Frankly I find ab workouts a bit boring..)
    Exercise 1: hanging knee raises
    Exercise 2: exercise ball crunches
    Exercise 3: bicycle curls
    Exercise 4: mountain climbers

Superset all 4 to failure. 3 sets.

Honestly I get most of my ab workout when I do front squats or deadlifts..

A note to make though..... I can only see my abs when I reach around 12% body fat.
    I would be able to see my abs at 12% body fat regardless of whether I did crunches or planks, or.. Nothing.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    yes.

if you do 600 crunches a day you're guaranteed a 6 pack in about a month.

shurrup :bigsmile:

Lol.. It's true!! The secret is in the number!
    6 (for 6 packs)
    00 <-- aaaaaabs.

That actually makes more sense than most other woo.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    But seriously.. Keep doing your crunches. .... I watched American Psycho the other day and apparently he does 1000 every morning. Maybe once you get to those numbers you can look like Christian Bale.