why are we doing this?

Options
13»

Replies

• quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    there's been a lot of reason behind my motivation to lose weight. i don't know if i could list everything - but i can tell you at my highest, i weighed 265 lbs., and i was miserable. i didn't enjoy binge eating because it made me physically sick. it started affecting my health - i developed a few mental disorders, horrible acne, pcos, had pre-diabetes (my big toes had gone numb at their tips and the rest would tingle), the pins in my back from scoliosis at the age of 18 and the nerves around them were being pinched (more than likely) and i had sciatica from it, and i had to have my gall bladder removed at the age of 18. my liver is still messed up from having been overweight so long. its lipids are abnormally high.

all that said, here are a few other reasons:
    • my self-esteem had reached an all time low; i became the butt of jokes among friends and strangers
    • it embarrassed people to be seen eating with me in public
    • i became bitter and reclusive
    • watching members from both sides of my family die from complications being overweight was depressing
    • i wanted to defeat my high weight like my little sister had defeated hers
    • i wanted to feel good about myself again

people like tony horton and jillian michaels and certain users over tumblr have given me enough inspiration to continue my journey despite certain odds having been set against me.

it's been seven months and i've lost 75-80 lbs.

i say approximately that because recently, i did suffer from another binge, but managed to confine it to one day and i'm now putting it behind me. i'm two days back on track from it and waiting for 5 lbs. of water weight to slowly drop off - it'll take time, but i'm by no means discouraged.

i'm currently teaching myself to love my body and to realize that you should never call a small indulgence 'cheating' and you should avoid a binge at all costs. you should enjoy things in moderation. most importantly, never give up on yourself. what's rewarding is looking into your mirror and seeing a new version of yourself you quite possibly haven't seen in many years. you'll feel better with each workout knowing you've made progress, no matter how small, and you'll reap the benefits - in appearance and health.

good luck to you.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Winning
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have autoimmune diseases with pesky, nebulous symptoms, that the doctors LOVE to brush off with "well if you lose some weight..."

I don't want to waste 6 months on that excuse. I want attention IMMEDIATELY when I feel poorly, because half the time, I end up putting on weight BECAUSE I feel poorly. It's sad that this is what needs to be done to get immediate attention, but I've found that it helps to have shown that I am aware of my body daily. It helps to have records of my mindfulness. So here I am.