Question for the fit who hit the gym

Options
this is going to sound so silly, I'm 35 years old and shouldn't be concerned with this.

I know those at the gym most likely don't even give others a second glance, as they're busy doing their thing, I know I rarely notice anyone while I'm doing cardio.

But there's a big room at the back with the weights, full of fit people. I've not been in there yet, feeling embarrassed and out of my league.

I'm new to the gym in the U.S. I used to go back in England and all the equipment there was all in the same area, I found people were really helpful, if I was unsure of something I felt ok asking anybody.

Here, having gained 50lbs since moving to the U.S. I feel ashamed and embarrassed. I feel like they'd look at me and laugh at the fat girl trying to lift weights she knows nothing about, you know?

So if you see a fat girl at the gym, who's been there every day doing cardio, would you be kind and helpful if you saw her attempting weights?

I know this is so silly, I really do, I just feel silly walking into that back room full of fit people who know what they're doing, I feel like they'd think it's a five minute wonder for me, but it's not, my mind is 100% in the zone now

Replies

• weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Just go for it hun it's really daunting at first I must admit but most the people there will respect you as we are all there for the same reason to change our bodies :)
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just go for it hun it's really daunting at first I must admit but most the people there will respect you as we are all there for the same reason to change our bodies :)

I am looking forward to getting smaller and showing that I'm serious about being there :)

• englishmermaid
    Options
    I haven't list much weight since going to the gym, but I definitely feel smaller and I enjoy cardio so much, I think I'm addicted already lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Here, having gained 50lbs since moving to the U.S. I feel ashamed and embarrassed. I feel like they'd look at me and laugh at the fat girl trying to lift weights she knows nothing about, you know?

90% of the time when i see a big person lifting, i think to myself "yeah, keep up the good work." the other 10% of the time i'm just eyeballing their form.
    So if you see a fat girl at the gym, who's been there every day doing cardio, would you be kind and helpful if you saw her attempting weights?

no, i wouldn't go up to that person unless they were about to do something that was dangerous or hurt themselves. by i wouldn't laugh.
  • englishmermaid
    Options

90% of the time when i see a big person lifting, i think to myself "yeah, keep up the good work." the other 10% of the time i'm just eyeballing their form.

no, i wouldn't go up to that person unless they were about to do something that was dangerous or hurt themselves. by i wouldn't laugh.

:)
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First off, yeah for you and for wanting to lift. Second off, I can't speak for anyone but myself, however, with that in mind, I don't give a thought to putting my time in the back with the weights, and I don't give a hoot who is looking. Does your facility have a personal trainer that can get you started on a lifting circuit and get you familiar with some basics?

When I see someone at the gym, big or small, what crosses my mind is that they cared enough to show up. None of us are there for a beauty contest or a popularity contest (well none of us over our mid 30s)....

You Go Girl!!! Lift and shine :)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I generally don't approach anyone in the gym to tell them anything, but I'm always happy to answer a question if they ask me. I was 60lbs overweight when I started lifting. It was a little daunting, but I just went and did my thing. I'm now in a healthy BMI category, but when I switch up my routine with new exercises, I can still feel a little awkward. The feeling goes away once I get a handle on the new things.

Remember that the people there might look fit now, but they may not have always been. I know that cuz I was one of the "fatties" there a year ago.

• englishmermaid
    Options
    First off, yeah for you and for wanting to lift. Second off, I can't speak for anyone but myself, however, with that in mind, I don't give a thought to putting my time in the back with the weights, and I don't give a hoot who is looking. Does your facility have a personal trainer that can get you started on a lifting circuit and get you familiar with some basics?

When I see someone at the gym, big or small, what crosses my mind is that they cared enough to show up. None of us are there for a beauty contest or a popularity contest (well none of us over our mid 30s)....

You Go Girl!!! Lift and shine :)

They do but I can't really afford one, if I make more sales in my etsy shop or something I may hire him for an hour to get myself some more knowledge, really I'm just going to go on what I can remember from five years ago lol

I used to love that one for the inner thighs, I could life 50k back when, but I didn't see that one in there from the brief moment I had a peek in the room. It's full of body builder type men in there, they smile when they walk past me on the bike do I'm sure they're friendly enough, I just don't want to be judged or laughed at

• englishmermaid
    Options
    I generally don't approach anyone in the gym to tell them anything, but I'm always happy to answer a question if they ask me. I was 60lbs overweight when I started lifting. It was a little daunting, but I just went and did my thing. I'm now in a healthy BMI category, but when I switch up my routine with new exercises, I can still feel a little awkward. The feeling goes away once I get a handle on the new things.

Remember that the people there might look fit now, but they may not have always been. I know that cuz I was one of the "fatties" there a year ago.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant, not approaching me as such but them be approachable
  • englishmermaid
    Options

And well done, you must feel incredible :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If it reassures you, I know I'm so self-absorbed in the gym I only really notice other people enough to steer clear of bumping into them and or getting in the way of their equipment. I have full-on resting-*kitten*-face blanked my own brother when I've been in there. My mind is concentrating on the task at hand, or perhaps what I'm going to have for tea once I'm done.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be friendly, only b/c I would just ignore you...like I ignore everyone else.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I’d make your description of fit person, but I am one of the guys back in the weight section. I am doing my thing and pay very little attention to other people. I know they’re there, but unless they do something to get my attention, I don’t really “see” them.

In between sets (I’ll take breaks as long as 3 minutes) I’ll glance at the TV, get water, and maybe pace around. When I see an untrained lifter (we’re not fat or fit, we’re just on a continuum of skill and experience lifting), I will occasionally notice their form (I’m an off-duty personal trainer, so I can’t help it). Unless they’re doing something that will hurt them, I just let it go. I’m just happy they’re making the effort and know over time, they’ll figure it out.

I probably don’t look the most approachable when I’m lifting. I’m not smiling, I’m not looking at my phone (in fact I usually don’t have it with me unless I’m using it to time my rests), I lift, I pace, I breathe, I lift. But if someone were to ask me to help them (spot, advice, etc.), I’d be very happy to do so. Now, if they ask me something that has nothing to do with lifting, I’d probably be bothered. But real weightlifters/body builders are more than happy to share what they’ve learned.

You’re just at a different level on the lifting continuum. You belong there just as much as the guy benching in the 400’s. But do your homework. Have an idea what your goals are. Find a program you think will work for those goals. Then if you need a spot, or advice on form, feel free to ask. And I’m sure the accent won’t hurt.
  • englishmermaid
    Options
    I am not sure I’d make your description of fit person, but I am one of the guys back in the weight section. I am doing my thing and pay very little attention to other people. I know they’re there, but unless they do something to get my attention, I don’t really “see” them.

In between sets (I’ll take breaks as long as 3 minutes) I’ll glance at the TV, get water, and maybe pace around. When I see an untrained lifter (we’re not fat or fit, we’re just on a continuum of skill and experience lifting), I will occasionally notice their form (I’m an off-duty personal trainer, so I can’t help it). Unless they’re doing something that will hurt them, I just let it go. I’m just happy they’re making the effort and know over time, they’ll figure it out.

I probably don’t look the most approachable when I’m lifting. I’m not smiling, I’m not looking at my phone (in fact I usually don’t have it with me unless I’m using it to time my rests), I lift, I pace, I breathe, I lift. But if someone were to ask me to help them (spot, advice, etc.), I’d be very happy to do so. Now, if they ask me something that has nothing to do with lifting, I’d probably be bothered. But real weightlifters/body builders are more than happy to share what they’ve learned.

You’re just at a different level on the lifting continuum. You belong there just as much as the guy benching in the 400’s. But do your homework. Have an idea what your goals are. Find a program you think will work for those goals. Then if you need a spot, or advice on form, feel free to ask. And I’m sure the accent won’t hurt.
    Lol thank you, yeah I had a guy ask me the other day if I'm from England. He fell off the elliptical and glanced over at me, I took my headphones out and told him not to worry, I did the same thing yesterday, forgetting I have an accent, after that he kept talking to me lol
  • englishmermaid
    Options
    I don't mean to offend anyone by saying fat and fit, I guess I'm just used to saying I'm fat
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You're not fat; you have fat I presume, but you're not fat. Don't be concerned with those in what my wife refers to as the 'peacock pit' (weight room). They for the most part are only concerned on their lifts, PRs, and form. They are like you; just trying to improve on something. Good luck and lift on!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com. They have free work out plans and even have some that are just for women. They also have examples of how to lift proper (can even print them if you need to). Maybe check out YouTube also for examples. This may boost your confidence when going into the weight room :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I am also one of those who hangs out in the weight section at the gym. To be honest with you, other than saying hello to a few nice people that I've met there, I'm too focused on my own lifting workout to be bothered looking around to see what others are doing. As a beginner I would recomened that you look into New Rules Of Lifting for Woman, and a program called Stronglifts 5X5. Both of these helped me a lot back when I first started getting serious about weight lifting.
  • englishmermaid
    Options
    Steff46 wrote: »
    Check out bodybuilding.com. They have free work out plans and even have some that are just for women. They also have examples of how to lift proper (can even print them if you need to). Maybe check out YouTube also for examples. This may boost your confidence when going into the weight room :)
    Thank u

I just spoke to the guy who runs it, he was really nice and told me I can ask him if I have any questions :)
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    On the occasions that I even notice other people in the free weights area, I rarely think anything other than "Hey, good work!"

I know it can be an intimidating area for women sometimes (my gym has a "women only" area which only reinforces this notion) so when I see women in the free weights area, I think "Hey, double-good work!"

You'll find that everyone is very busy trying to not drop weights on their faces and usually in their own little worlds.