Question for the fit who hit the gym

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would recommend researching some programs- rather than just going in there and trying to wing it.

Trying to wing it is what makes you feel uncomfortable- you don't have enough knowledge to cnfidently move from one thing to another- and there for you feel like you have a target on your back (you don't) but something that will help tremendously with that is to research a program and plan it- write it down and go in there and do it.

That will help banish fears of the "aimless wondering- oh *kitten* it's so obvious I don't know what I'm doing!!!" feeling.

Starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

all excellent programs. I would start there.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP why do you feel your appearance is in the way of asking for help at the gym?
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I will also say that sometimes people look around at other people while resting between sets. This used to freak me out and I thought they were looking at me because I was doing something wrong. But they are just looking around out of boredom. I do it now too.

• 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Some of this could be the culture of the gym itself. Some are really built around the idea of catering to serious lifters and body builders, while others have a more general clientele. On the occasions where I have done a weight workout I don't feel especially intimidated, but I really just keep to myself. 99% of the time, I'm a cardio guy and really don't spend my time lifting.
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, there is some great advice here! I second looking at bodybuilding.com videos and printing off their plans. Also, I've head great things about the book New Rules Of Lifting for Woman. I thing having a plan is SUPER important, here is why: If you have a plan in hand, you'll walk into the weight room with a purpose and a goal (to get through the program)...and everyone in that gym respects "goals" ;) Having a plan/program will make you feel more confident and like you belong. When you take breaks, you can look at other equipment and how people use it. Later, you can come up with your own workout. For me, I try to avoid peak periods that bring in big hulky guys. I do find them intimidating and because of their programs, they tend to use the stuff I want to use. If I can't help it, I pop in my headphones, pick the most awesome track, and do my thing....after all, we're all there for a reason :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I would recommend researching some programs- rather than just going in there and trying to wing it.

Trying to wing it is what makes you feel uncomfortable- you don't have enough knowledge to cnfidently move from one thing to another- and there for you feel like you have a target on your back (you don't) but something that will help tremendously with that is to research a program and plan it- write it down and go in there and do it.

That will help banish fears of the "aimless wondering- oh *kitten* it's so obvious I don't know what I'm doing!!!" feeling.

Starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

I agree with this. Having a clearly defined plan will help SO much.

The weight area can be really intimidating - but just try to remember, every single one of those fit people in there were new once, too. And most likely had similar fears/feelings.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    It's what you do, not how you look, that will show people you're serious. :) I agree with the poster that said you should already have a plan together using any of those resources posted. I hear wonderful things about all of them (I'm talking a little out of my butt here because I work out at home). I'm sure if you know what lift you're trying to do and have an idea of how to do it, someone will be happy to help you with your form. What they won't like, I'm sure, is for you to be completely helpless and pester them to help you figure out an entire routine.

Of COURSE less fit people use the gym, where do you think fit people come from? LOL!!! Get in there, you are going to be great.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

All of this. Get yourself a program and get familiar with it before you do into the gym. Half the battle is walking in there knowing what you need to do. I did the whole 'fake it til you make it' when I started lifting. It gets easier every day as you build confidence.

I am routinely one of the only woman in the free weight section of my gym. I used to get some looks, now I get compliments on my lifts.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say OP that I <3 this thread I've been looking for this same info. I've been lifting using the machines since November and I'm itching to get over to the big girls lifting area, lol. I've lost 50lbs but I still see myself as the overweight wannabe at the gym....I'm still working on my head getting to where my body is. I have the same fears/hesitations as you. I really like the goals and plans idea from some of the other posters. So thanks for posting this and thank you to everyone giving ideas! :smiley:
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean its the reason I'm not lifting when i should be and goes what , I AM FIT. Its VERY intimidating because guys do like to workout alone-most of us are this way naturally. But I feel if i go there i will have to be the one to ask instead of them asking me . So naturally i won't ask just do my thing and go. But as I'm doing my thing they guys leave somehow disappointed that there space was invaded.
    OK i didn't make all that up-it was really my experience 1. at my last apartments dinky gym when i used the treadmill it just gets awkward cause the space is small and 2. at my community college the gym is nice but the lifting room is small so it was just they reaction i got from the fellow guys. And I'm not even overweight. So there it is a fit girl who gets intimidated to lift. I have yet to get myself near the weights in a big gym when guys are cranking at it. its definitely scary and would give you MANY props just to attempt it. I will overcome this myself and hope sooner than later as i want to lift before i get too old. Best wishes
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned previously, I won't approach people to offer aid unless one of the following 3 things happen:

1) They look like they're doing something dangerous and/or are about to hurt themselves (or others);

2) They specifically ask. Of course, that's them approaching me, so I guess that shouldn't necessarily be in here;

3) They look like they're completely unsure of things. In that case, I'll ask if they're looking for something (like a piece of equipment). That way, if they want advice/help, the ice is broken. If not, no big deal.
  • RedArizona5
    Options
    T-nation.com is another site if you want to check out too, its female friendly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    T-nation.com is another site if you want to check out too, its female friendly.

really?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow. I really have to commend you, and I salute you. I totally mean that. A lot of people give in to "gymtimidation," but not you. You're obviously struggling with this issue, but you're choosing to face it. That sort of thing makes me so proud.

I just observed a discussion between two obese women and a former "fatty." The two overweight women were talking about how they don't want any fit, muscular people around when they work out. They even applauded the fact that their gym tries to keep those kind of people away. You choose to educate yourself instead though, and I respect that more than words can express.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym last month, first time I've ever went to the gym, previously I just used a treadmill at home. But I wanted to do more than just cardio. I felt very out of place at first, and still am a little timid. The gym I joined is smaller than a place like Golds gym or Planet Fitness, which I prefer. But the more I go, the more comfortable I am starting to feel. I try to scope out what other people are doing with weights or on the machines, while I'm doing cardio, so I can learn from them. I can't afford a personal trainer either, and I'm not comfortable yet to ask anyone for help, so I just watch others and watch a lot of YouTube videos on stuff I want to try, such as deadlifts, squats, etc. Pat yourself on the back for that first step of even joining the gym b/c it can be intimidating. Everyone is there for the same reasons tho...to lose weight and/or get healthy. Nobody is there to stare at you and make you feel bad about yourself. I have a hard time learning that myself, so thank you for this post. Congrats and good luck! Keep it up!!
  • RedArizona5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh no, did I say something wrong? Ok then never mind the female friendly. i added that int ere for some weird reason. but i like t-nation its a good site just forget the last part of my sentence i didn't word it correctly or should have left it out.
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wholly agree with JoRocka. Get yourself educated and you will feel so much more confident.

The only time I judge anyone in the weight room is when I see people using awful form and risking injury.

The best way to look like you know what you are doing in the weight room is to actually know what you are doing in the weight room, and the best way to do that is to get someone to teach you. If you can't afford that (I couldn't either) then watch videos on youtube from a knowledgeable source. Please look into a program that will teach you how to lift safely. If you injure yourself, you will set back all your goals.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to offend anyone by saying fat and fit, I guess I'm just used to saying I'm fat
    Nobody should consider that offensive. A lot of us used to be fat too, including me. Unfortunately, a lot of people who struggle with their weight choose to treat the word itself as though it's the cause of offense.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    . nevermind .
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I only notice people at the gym who look like famous people. I go late at night when my kids are in bed and so far I've seen a couple of Beibers, Larry David, Selena Gomez (she wasn't hanging out with Beiber), Larry the Cable Guy, and Tyler Joseph from 21 pilots. Ok, maybe I'm just tired and dont see well.

Once I went very early in the morning and I swear I saw my little brother. He lives 3 hours away. Dude looked so much like him that I sent my bro a text at like 6am asking why the hell he was at my gym.