Treadmill tip I found

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I apologize for sharing something I found that I thought was helpful. If my delivery was wrong, then I apologize for that, too. I just honestly thought it would be something interesting to share.

I hear you. You mean good and I don't think your delivery was wrong.

But when I see someone taking that extra care while working out on a m/c I always think they are trying to get accustomed and comfortable using it.

• csantiago245
    csantiago245 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like she said, she's just passing on info that she heard because it can benefit people! I've read about this online too. That if u hold on to the rails ur not burning as much calories as u would if u weren't holding on. U can hold on if u want to, but for a better and complete workout it's better to try not to.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    OP, we get it. stop defending yourself, people don't read all the posts and you'll have to keep doing it over and over again as people make comments.

You said your peace and apologized, its over.. stop worrying about it! :)

This. I don't think you intended it to come across that way. But, as you can see from the past few posts, it's better to be open-minded.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would agree that someone isnt' using their time as effectively - but that's none of my buisness.

I disagree about the stairmaster.

You do as much as you can without holding on- but at some point- you get fracking tired- and that's all there is to it- it's a change of body line- I try not to-but it happens. Spend more than 15 min on one of those things and you'll find yourself bent over half draped on the machine to.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I wish we had a stairmaster thing at the gym I go to (its a small university gym)..they have something called a Jacobs ladder (?) which looks pretty scary.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Oh look! Another Judgy McJudgy post.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Oh look! Another Judgy McJudgy post.

Your too slow she already apologize d for any misconceptions
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip. During the use of treadmills, elliptical trainers, and steppers, do not grasp the handles with an oversupinated or overpronated hand position. This can cause elevated and protracted shoulders and a forward head lean, which could lead to upper crossed syndrome. ( Rounded shoulders ) " If possible, " the equipment should be used without the assistance of the hands to increase the stabilization component, elevating the calorie burn and balance requirements.
  • shortntall1
    Options
    I'm 204 lbs. Im not judging. You think Im in a position to judge? Besides, Im French, not Scottish. I think it would be Judgy Le Judgy :)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I would agree that someone isnt' using their time as effectively - but that's none of my buisness.

I disagree about the stairmaster.

You do as much as you can without holding on- but at some point- you get fracking tired- and that's all there is to it- it's a change of body line- I try not to-but it happens. Spend more than 15 min on one of those things and you'll find yourself bent over half draped on the machine to.

I have a hard time doing more than five minutes without stopping for a breather. I'm shooting for 20 minutes today, so I'll let you know. :)
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Lord, didn't we just have the exact same discussion just a few weeks ago that turned into a massive fight before going down in flames of glory? History repeating itself, amirite?

I don't pretend to know the fitness, medical or personal histories of the people I work out around each day, so I don't pretend to care if they are doing something I would consider inefficient or ineffective, as long as no one is getting hurt. The woman who swims laps next to me 2x a week uses the wrong kick when she breast strokes. Could be because she's lazy, or doesn't know better or because she blew out her knee. Unless she asks my opinion, it's not my place to tell her what I think is right. Same with the girls who do weird stuff with the Smith Machine. Nobody else wants to use it and no one is getting hurt, have at it.

OP, I'm sure you didn't mean to sound judgy, but, that definitely could have been phrased better :smile:
  • shortntall1
    Options
    I could go edit it but I guess it's too late.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I hold onto the treadmill because I don't get a great workout at lower inclines and slower speeds. I've continued to lose weight. *kanyeshrug*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wish we had a stairmaster thing at the gym I go to (its a small university gym)..they have something called a Jacobs ladder (?) which looks pretty scary.

Id' use a Jacob's ladder- those things are beast.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I could go edit it but I guess it's too late.
    You have 1 hour to edit a post.

You've got about 5min left of that 1 hour
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhold.htm

How many times do I go to the gym and people are holding on to the rails on a treadmill..I want to tell them its really hurting their work out but I know thats not proper gym etiquette..if theres a way I could share this without a link, I would but its so, so important you dont cheat yourself out of a good workout.

So...if you have balance problems you should just fall instead of balancing yourself...or just not use the treadmill???

• jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhold.htm

How many times do I go to the gym and people are holding on to the rails on a treadmill..I want to tell them its really hurting their work out but I know thats not proper gym etiquette..if theres a way I could share this without a link, I would but its so, so important you dont cheat yourself out of a good workout.

OP, perhaps you missed the self-righteousness in your post? That's what people are responding to, not the article. Not trying to be mean, but this came across as very rude and judgmental.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Jacobs Ladder is a killer. It's a "master" of the stairmaster.

I would use it at the heartbeat over stairmaster - anyday. But that's just me.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Dont stop, believin

Just a small town girl
    Livin' in a lonely world
    She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
    Just a city boy
    Born and raised in south Detroit
    He took the midnight train goin' anywhere