Treadmill tip I found

Options

Replies

• shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You are right but I didnt or wouldnt say anything! Lots of people think things they shouldnt or couldnt say but isnt the important thing is that they dont say it? I wouldnt want to hurt anyone intentionally..I should add that I live in a small town and these are people I know,,but that doesnt mean I would say anything..
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhold.htm

Thought maybe some would find it interesting :)

Holding Onto the Treadmill is Make-Believe Walking and Fake-Running

:laugh: :laugh:

No doubt you're ruffling some feathers with this article. I don't know if I would call it "fake" but obviously anything that makes it easier for you to do the exercise is reducing the calorie burn or effectiveness of the exercise. That doesn't make it terrible however. It's sort of like using resistance bands to help you with a pull up. It's a good beginner step if you can't quite do a pull up on your own. Then again do adults really have a difficult time with walking? :laugh:

Just to ensure that everyone is offended by this I'll add that running on a treadmill even without your hands is terrible. Go outside if you can.

Flame on!
    flame_on__2_.gif
  • txvtnv49
    txvtnv49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I hate to hear this. Just like I hate to admit that since I've been exercising I do feel a little bit better. I do not like to exercise, and never have. The only thing that makes the treadmill tolerable is that I read while walking. If I can't hold on, I don't know if I will be able to read anymore. Oh well, I DO believe what everyone is saying, that holding on diminishes the effect of the treadmill, so I will give it a try.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt get on a treadmill if I had a balance issue..I wouldnt want to break something lol..Id figure on something else..I mean, why do it if you dont get the benefits you are supposed to? I would find something that I could do where I would get the full benefit. Hey do what you want. But for me, its a waste of time if I cant get what I am supposed to get out of it. It's like eating chips. No nutritional value but hey, its eating.

So what? Are these people supposed to give up walking too?

I have some balance issues due to some lingering effects of vertigo but that hasn't stopped me from jumping on the treadmill now and again. And define "full benefit". If someone is moving more than before, regardless at how slow a pace, I think that's pretty beneficial.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of minding my own business at the gym.

I can think of lots of legitimate reasons to hold onto the treadmill. Some people have balance issues due to inner ear problems. Some people are prone to debilitating migraines that come on extremely suddenly. Some people are just not confident enough to let go yet. It's none of my business, unless they've hired me as their personal trainer (and they haven't).

On the rare occasions when you see me on a treadmill, you'll probably see me holding on lightly, especially at the beginning. I usually run outside, and on the rare occasions when I have to use a treadmill instead, it takes my brain about ten minutes to get the hang of the whole "hey, the road is moving" thing.

If someone were to come and tell me I was doing it wrong, I'm pretty sure they would regret it.

z205099164.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The only other judging I do in the gym is the weightlifting dudes who lift stuff that is too heavy for them, then DROP THE WEIGHT. Don't they know they get tree times the workout putting that weight down S L O W L Y?

Please do not talk about things you don't know.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    The only other judging I do in the gym is the weightlifting dudes who lift stuff that is too heavy for them, then DROP THE WEIGHT. Don't they know they get tree times the workout putting that weight down S L O W L Y?

Yeah, but putting the weights down slowly doesn't get everyone to notice them...

You know how I know you don't know anything about weight lifting?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    I wish we had a stairmaster thing at the gym I go to (its a small university gym)..they have something called a Jacobs ladder (?) which looks pretty scary.

Jacobs Ladder is a killer. It's a "master" of the stairmaster.

I would use it at the heartbeat over stairmaster - anyday. But that's just me.

I would but the longest I did it was like 2 minutes. That exercise machine is the hardest cardio machine I have done.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Yeah, but putting the weights down slowly doesn't get everyone to notice them...

^^ Absolute truth.

But the guy who counts 100 dumbbell reps out (very) loud, then drops the dumbbells and hits on the first girl to turn around at the noise? I just can't see how that's not attention-seeking.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

^^ Absolute truth.

But the guy who counts 100 dumbbell reps out (very) loud, then drops the dumbbells and hits on the first girl to turn around at the noise? I just can't see how that's not attention-seeking.

Oh. Well, because ONE guy did this...

:indifferent:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

^^ Absolute truth.

Oh. Well, because ONE guy did this...

:indifferent:

Right? LOL.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

^^ Absolute truth.

Cause everyone who lifts weights (and possibly drops them) is totes like this dude.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

^^ Absolute truth.

Cause everyone who lifts weights (and possibly drops them) is totes like this dude.

Nope, not everyone (and I don't remember saying that). But there are a whole lot of them at our local gym.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Thanks for reminding me that it is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

^^ Absolute truth.

Nope, not everyone (and I don't remember saying that). But there are a whole lot of them at our local gym.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »

Thanks for reminding me that it is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.

The hypocrisy to her previous post (which was awesome) is outstanding.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »

The hypocrisy to her previous post (which was awesome) is outstanding.

I only judge that of which I know nothing.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt get on a treadmill if I had a balance issue..I wouldnt want to break something lol..Id figure on something else..I mean, why do it if you dont get the benefits you are supposed to? I would find something that I could do where I would get the full benefit. Hey do what you want. But for me, its a waste of time if I cant get what I am supposed to get out of it. It's like eating chips. No nutritional value but hey, its eating.

I used to get on the treadmill all the time when my balance was bad due to being out of shape. Guess what I got out of it? Better balance.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

^^ Absolute truth.

Why so much cardio?

• PikaKnight
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

^^ Absolute truth.

Why so much cardio?

And who sits there counting those reps out to know this?