Meal Replacement Powder/Shake

Options
I am always in a rush for breakfast and keep missing it. I also want to replace at least one meal with a shake. I figured I would solve 2 problems at the same time.

Does anyone know of a good meal replacement powder?

I have heard GNC Lean is a good one.

Replies

• Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I throw a bunch of fruit in a blender after I tend livestock and then out the door I go for work. Its quick and I can drink it on the drive. Tastes good too. Nice natural energy drink. Want more protein, throw a spoon full of protein powder in and BAM, a tall glass of yum.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Bad-Idea-Road-Sign.jpg
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier so you have time to eat breakfast. Or eat breakfast later, like at work. That's what I do. I grab a Greek yogurt and a banana, throw them in my work bag, and eat at my desk. As for meal replacement shakes, see Slim Fast thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142821/slim-fast/p1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are great for supplementing protein. They are not designed to replace meals. Google green smoothies....protein powder, veggies, fruit, some healthy fats. Much more complete.

As far as replacing 2 meals with shakes.... in place of logging, measuring...ie: portion control....the road sign above says it all. We need to make lifestyle changes to keep the weight we lose from creeping back up.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I drink Trutein after my workout, but it's not a meal replacement. It's usually a snack.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I too only use meal replacements / protein shakes as snacks. A meal replacement I like is Vegessential All-in-one. For protein powders, any whey protein works, but they’re not meal replacements. I personally don’t like liquid meals, but if you do end up doing this I’d recommend you weigh the fruit you use. It can add up to a lot calories.
  • Chavellek
    Chavellek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I really appreciate all the advice
  • Chavellek
    Options
    The meal replacement is not a permanent lifestyle change but something I am doing for roughly a month to adjust to my schedule.

The getting up earlier is hard for my body to do at the moment. The eating at work allowed me to make horrible decisions
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Fair enough! New schedules can be tough.

One thing I’d like to add is that I hope you’re eating breakfast for the right reason, i.e. you’re hungry. For the longest time I thought I simply must have breakfast - most important meal and all that - but my stomach is just not keen on food in the mornings, so I had green smoothies. I then realized there’s no point to eating when I don’t want to, so I don’t have breakfast anymore: just a big coffee. This works way better for me, and it turns out research finds breakfast actually isn’t mandatory for weight loss or good health.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Chavellek wrote: »
    I am always in a rush for breakfast and keep missing it. I also want to replace at least one meal with a shake. I figured I would solve 2 problems at the same time.

Does anyone know of a good meal replacement powder?

I have heard GNC Lean is a good one.

I suggest you don't replace any meals with shakes, but perhaps make time to eat your meals. Real Food is what it's all about. Replacing meals with shakes just takes your money, and shakes contain no magic when it comes to weight loss. Calories in/calories out.
  • Chavellek
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

One thing I’d like to add is that I hope you’re eating breakfast for the right reason, i.e. you’re hungry. For the longest time I thought I simply must have breakfast - most important meal and all that - but my stomach is just not keen on food in the mornings, so I had green smoothies. I then realized there’s no point to eating when I don’t want to, so I don’t have breakfast anymore: just a big coffee. This works way better for me, and it turns out research finds breakfast actually isn’t mandatory for weight loss or good health.

Thanks. I am not really hungry in the morning. I might just do that
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Chavellek wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Thanks. I am not really hungry in the morning. I might just do that

You can always give it a go and see what happens. I’m way hungrier at night so I’d rather eat more later in the day. I usually break my fast around 12:30 - 2:00 pm and I’m much happier this way, so it’s all about what works for you. Good luck! :smile:
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use GNC lean shake 25. I drink one for breakfast each morning. It has good fiber and 25 grams of protein. And I'm full till lunch. I like chocolate best. You can get it on Amazon pretty reasonable.
  • GuyFromCanada
    GuyFromCanada Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look into Soylent or a self-made recipe like People Chow. They're drinks made to hit 100% of macros/micros and are a great way to make breakfast easy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    make your 'breakfast' the night before and put it in the fridge and grab and take to work and eat when you're hungry

or take in sachets of porridge oats to make in the microwave with honey

you don't need to force yourself to eat

also meal replacement shakes - not a great idea