What is TDEE?

Options
karilou52
karilou52 Posts: 11 Member
I see people use this notation in reference to something for calories, but I can't figure out what it is! Anybody care to fill me in? Thanks!--Kari

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    karilou52 wrote: »
    I see people use this notation in reference to something for calories, but I can't figure out what it is! Anybody care to fill me in? Thanks!--Kari

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (aka maintenance). This number should include exercise up front....so you would just take a "cut" from this top number to lose weight. None of the logging workouts & eating calories back stuff. This is good if your workouts are consistent and you like eating the same calories daily....exercise is averaged thru the week so it's not up and down.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It includes all calories you burn in a day (BMR + activities). For a lot of people, finding their TDEE and creating a deficit from that is easier than figuring out different calorie allotments each day.

An example:
    I workout about 5 days a week. My TDEE from that activity is around 2,000 calories/day. That's the number I would eat to maintain my weight. I want to lose a few pounds, so I subtract 20% and get a 1,600 calorie/day allowance. This is the number I eat everyday, regardless of exercise.

Here is a good calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • karilou52
    karilou52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!