Still trying to figure out my mph when walking.

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been given some great tips from members and I'm getting closer to understanding. I found this on the net.

"I have been walking every day at a park near my home. It's a paved walking path and I walk one mile. Today, I walked it in 10 minutes. How do I know how many calories I burned ? When I tried to log the activity it listed different mph for walking, but I have no idea how many mph I walked. How do I figure that out ?

Answer
If you walked a measured mile in 10 minutes, then you walked 6 miles per hour. But to accurately gauge your miles per hour, measure the time it takes to walk a pre-measured mile around a track. Measured tracks are found at schools and gyms. If you wear a pedometer, you can also figure out your speed by the number of steps you take per minute.

Walking under 2 mph is 61 steps
Walking 2 mph is 67 steps
Walking 3 mph is 100 steps
Walking 3.5 miles per hour is 115 steps
Walking 4 miles per hour is 152 steps

Walking 5 miles per hour is 242 steps"

I tested myself through my last walk of the day and the most steps I get are between 127 and 129. Would this put me at 3.5 mph?

Forgive me if this is a tiresome question and I do try to follow links suggested, but some of the techical terms were going over my head.

Edit to add: The OP of this question is not me. I try to walk 2 + hours a day. It's just good to know. I just started adding it to my log as 3 mph and only eat back 20 to 50%. I net low, so I want to make sure i'm fueling enough or too much...etc.

*source link: http://www.caloriecount.com/miles-hour-walk-q8821

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You are not "walking" if you're going six miles per hour.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I'm re reading my post... ??? I am wondering if i'm walking 3 mph or 3.5 mph at 127 - 129 steps per/minute
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Download MapMyWalk, and it'll calculate your distance and pace.
  • uvi5
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I'm re reading my post... ??? I am wondering if i'm walking 3 mph or 3.5 mph at 127 - 129 steps per/minute
    The person in the quotes is not me. I know i'm not walking 6 mph :lol: I'm trying to figure out if I'm walking 3 mph or 3.5 mph.
  • uvi5
    Options
    I push to hit 130 + steps, but then I'd start jogging, which I don't want to do. I'd rather walk more.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
  • uvi5
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I appreciate this, but I need to use the car and find out how far it is to circle to long blocks. 1 time around is 5 minutes for me now. I'm doing 7 to 8 now for each walk through the day. I'll book mark this for when I can figure out the distance :smiley: Thank you
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? You can just use an app to figure it all out for you.
  • uvi5
    Options
    I don't have the distance, yet. I was trying to figure it out by counting my steps/per minute, periodically through my walk at my most sustainable rate and going by that.
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options

nope, no smartphone, just a lan line. I only have my laptop. :smile:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The common denominator is the seconds. There are 3600 seconds in an hour (60 minutes * 60 seconds).

Next work out the number of seconds you walked. 10 minutes = 600 seconds.

Now divide 3600 by 600 and you get 6 mph.

15 minutes = 3600/ (15 * 60) = 4 mph.

Of course you could just use a form on a web page.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/pace-converter
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Factoring in steps would depend on your typical stride & also your style of walking. If you're casually walking your stride is shorter (covering less distance) than if you're in a hurry. So converting steps to miles is not the same for everyone. Pick 10 random people, walk the same route and we'll all have different # of steps.

If you have a smart phone easiest thing to do is use an app. Or use Google Maps to route your walking area.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Factoring in steps would depend on your typical stride & also your style of walking. If you're casually walking your stride is shorter (covering less distance) than if you're in a hurry. So converting steps to miles is not the same for everyone. Pick 10 random people, walk the same route and we'll all have different # of steps.

If you have a smart phone easiest thing to do is use an app. Or use Google Maps to route your walking area.

Much appreciated. I had a pedometer, but it cr@pped out on me in the first week (10 bucks at Walmart). I tested my stride and it was a bit over 2 feet, but forgot the method I tested it. I'll be saving up for a pedometer again. I was going to save for a fitbit hr, but it looks like i'm not getting that at the moment. Again, thank you all for the tips! Gonna go circle the block 8 times. Cheers!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Fitbit One. LOVE it.
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

nope, no smartphone, just a lan line. I only have my laptop. :smile:

Mapmyrun has a page you can use in your laptop to figure out the distance of your walk on a map.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    What I did, before I had a smart phone, was measure the distance online using Google Maps or Map My Walk. Then I timed the distance as precisely as possible.

I don't care for the table above because it doesn't take stride length into account, or does so only roughly.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a car either? I still don't understand why you can't just use the odometer to map out a mile and then see how long it takes you to walk that distance. There's not a gym near you where you could get a day pass, get on the treadmill at your normal pace, and see what it says? No walking or hiking trails near you with the mileage marked out? No schools with a measured track you could walk around? Google Maps and the Runkeeper web site don't work on your computer because it's running DOS or something?

Do you live on Gilligan's Island? Because I bet the Professor could rig you up something. Dude made a functioning radio battery out of coconuts.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've been using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ to figure distances I've walked.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The steps taken per mile is dependent on the walker/runner's stride. That wasn't mentioned above.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    What I did, before I had a smart phone, was measure the distance online using Google Maps or Map My Walk. Then I timed the distance as precisely as possible.

I don't care for the table above because it doesn't take stride length into account, or does so only roughly.

Yup google maps is great. I did this too and printed out my favorite routes and did the calculation we learned in school

D
    _
    S|T

Distance divided by speed gives you time
    Distance divided by Time gives you speed
    Speed multiplied by Time gives you distance.

Google maps gives you distance....you know the time bam got your mph.

Now I use mapmyfitness and jawbone.