What do you think about when you workout?

Options

Replies

• Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The gym TVs always have on a show about morbidly obese people (like 600lbs +) during the time of day I go so I always end up thinking Nope, not today, not if I can help it! And keep pushing.
  • Blazing_Brunette
    Blazing_Brunette Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I try and block everything out and workout my frustrations ,..
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that when I'm doing strength training I'm focused on form, but in reality, that is not generally the case. No matter if I'm doing strength training or cardio, I'm usually thinking, "How much longer until this is over?" :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When I'm lifting it's form, breathing and muscles.

Cardio I'm usually trying not to sing whatever I'm listening to out loud and trying not to fall off the treadmill or bike.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I focus on form and body feel.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Beer.
  • justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I am lifting I joke with my trainer, lots of laughing, not a lot of thinking. When I am swimming (my cardio) I just imagine him pushing me to get through the set and his "if you were really a bad *kitten*, you would do a X more" taunts. If I'm working on a design project sometimes I"ll try to run through different ideas on that. I've never the perfect idea hit me, but I've def seen where some ideas don't work. Saves me lots of time when I'm back in front of the computer.
  • chicasmommy
    chicasmommy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think of people I don't like and resolve to be in better shape than them. Is that awful?
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When i weight lift i try to do good the exercise and to feel if the muscles make a good effort, in cardio to keep up !

• LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think of people I don't like and resolve to be in better shape than them. Is that awful?

I don't think so. I think of all the people that used to make fun of me or make me jealous when they'd have a hot body and flirt with my boyfriend and all I want is to show off in a bikini next summer and be hotter than they are. (Most of them don't workout so I know it's at least possible if I keep pushing)

My response to original question: during strength training I usually focus on getting through my set effectively and w/ as few pauses as possible. And during cardio I think "omg is this over yet" probably every 2 seconds as I look at the clock. I plug my headphones into the jack and listen to the news but it usually doesn't help too much. Watching people helps sometimes, I'll watch the trainers or people that I know compete and I envision getting to their level 1-3years from now (obviously depending on how fit they are)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It depends, sometimes it's about form and assuring that my footstrike is correct, sometimes I'm just enjoying being out on the trail, watching the scenery and the various animals that are out and about.

If I'm in town and running it becomes quite meditative, so not thinking per se, but giving my mind space to run free. That helps with stress, and also puts me in a place where I can work through issues related to work without consciously thinking about them. I'm involved in a lot of commercial and legal negotiations, so it helps me come up with answers.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    When lifting...lifting. When running on the treadmill...Dr. Phil (it's the only talk show on at my gym time).
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Approach the bar, imagine how good form feels, grab the bar, breathe, relax the muscles that will be worked in the lift, breathe in, breathe out, check position, breathe in, breathe out, un-rack, breathe in through eccentric, breathe out through concentric, repeat for each planned rep, re-rack. Look at clock to get rest count. Think about form of last set, assess weight used, get some water, shake out worked muscles...
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    kzzr wrote: »
    When I'm doing cardio I think about what I would do if there was a Zombie Apocalypse, it keeps me moving lol

bahaha i have so done this too! i think man i dont have enough ammo. i should buy a flamethrower.....
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think about the food I can eat now that I've worked out... Oh and whether or not I'm actually going to die or if I'm just that lazy. It's always the latter.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I often find myself pacing myself by singing stupid short repetitive tunes out loud to myself.

Note: I usually ride a real bicycle on the road or in the forest. I find it great for setting a tempo I can maintain. Once I have to change the tempo, the music changes or I just cringe while I sprint up a hill, or I just completely focus as I race down a hill. In mountain biking, you can't think about anything but the trail. IF you lose focus on the trail, you're going to go down. Hard.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit so I think about how the longer I keep going the more steps I will have to try and win challenges with. I also listen to music and try and trick myself into thinking I am dancing and having a blast haha. I also think about how my cats stalk me and I have to be careful not to step on them or lay on them (during pilates) haha
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    what i am going to eat when this workout is over! lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sex.
  • jlruiz719
    jlruiz719 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think about how to fix problems at work or with my family. I run through conversations or confrontations I need to have. When I'm on the treadmill, I play math games with the numbers to keep me from getting bored.