Zumba or not to Zumba.. that is the question...

Options
I'm brand spanking new to MFP and I recently borrowed Zumba from a friend ( which she never used). What does everyone think about out it ? Have you tried it? Did you see results? I figure I start slow since I'm in no shape to try insanity or p90x ( I would drop dead). Thanks guys !!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA! Been doing it for three years, along with everything else. It's a great way to have fun while working out. You can go at your own pace and work up! Everyone who tries zumba loves it!
  • Hollyhobby22
    Hollyhobby22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i just started it and i love it. i don't feel like i am grinding through a workout i don't want to do i get up wanting to work out.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    never done it but would love to
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba!!!!! It is more fun in a class, but at home will work for you, too!!!
  • Time2Commit
    Options
    I didn't like zumba because I am very uncoordinated and clumsy. I couldn't follow or remember any of the moves and wasn't getting a workout because of it. If you are dancier, it is definitely for you. If you are like me and trip over your 2 feet all the time, you could try turbo jam. It is more cardio with punches, very very easy dance moves and both high and low impact moves as well. It's a lot more easier to follow if you have 2 left feet lol.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Zumba is incredible if you find the right teacher... I was completely against it (not a fan of 'expressing myself' in public), and got dragged along kicking and screaming (quietly as not to express myself too publicly) to a class with a friend. Well, all I can say is thanks goodness someone made me do it. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! If the teacher has personality, and knows how to teach, i.e. to a complete novice, making sure you can follow the steps and not going overboard too quickly, then it is such a great workout and so enjoyable.

The more you go, the better you know the moves, and therefore the better the workout. I can absolutely say I have the best fun at Zumba - I now go around 3 times a week and am planning to buy the DVDs...

And yes, I'm still against being outwardly expressive, but I stand at the back and flail about like a complete idiot, putting my entire body into every move, and its actually not that embarrassing, when you know everyone else is doing the same ;)

I would certainly recommend getting to a class, the live element gives you more of a buzz.

I tend to burn around 500-600 calories per class, and I would say they are 'Moderate' to 'Intense'.

Have fun!
  • BeautyMaven13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. I will also look into turbo jam. Thanks guys and good luck ! :happy:
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I grin like a crazy person the whole time I'm doing it because it is so much fun. The instructor definitely makes a difference. Now that I know who my "favorites" are at my gym, I go regularly 3 x a week. I have a great time dancing, and I am drenched in sweat by the end of the workout.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    zumba !

Didnt realise i d done it but it but then i dare say 4 hours on a dance and trance club dance floor is more than most of you "zumba" converts ever do !!!

They ll be calling line dancing "Tumba" next !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Try it, then if you like it keep it up, if you dont, find something else.

I used to love zumba but it came head to head with my thai boxing, and thai boxing won
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    I think it is one of those things you have to try to see if you love it (with anything else I guess). It is not for everyone. I, for example, dislike it. I am not a fan of "workouts" that don't get my heart rate up high enough. It is too "soft" for me, it gets boring - but on the other hand I understand when people hate the bootcamp-style workouts that I love. Try it and see if it is for you :)
  • waford
    waford Posts: 1
    Options
    You just can's beat it for cardio. I attend a class faithfully 2X per week. The key is having a great instructor who will make the class fun!. Keep searching until you find the right one for you, then you will grow to not wanting to miss it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've never done Zumba, but I've taken a Hip Hop cardio class and loved it. If you like it and will do it consistently, I think it's great. I'm a firm believer in finding an exercise you love and doing it, especially when just starting out. Once you build a fitness base, you can try other, more challenging things if you want.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    to quote my boot camp instructor " if you want easy then go take zumba"
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think it is one of those things you have to try to see if you love it (with anything else I guess). It is not for everyone. I, for example, dislike it. I am not a fan of "workouts" that don't get my heart rate up high enough. It is too "soft" for me, it gets boring - but on the other hand I understand when people hate the bootcamp-style workouts that I love. Try it and see if it is for you :)

Definitely true that you need to find what works for you. I find that Zumba gets my heart rate up nicely. However, I also do a bootcamp workout 4 x a week and love that too. As with anything, your mileage may vary. :)
  • jweluv
    jweluv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba and was unable to keep up, at the same time as long as your moving it shouldn't matter if you are doing it perfect. I will say I just prefer Walk Away the Pounds or something similar right now. I will try my Zumba again after I lose another 30 lbs or so and hope that I can stick with it then.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it despite being a pretty awkward human being.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm brand spanking new to MFP and I recently borrowed Zumba from a friend ( which she never used). What does everyone think about out it ? Have you tried it? Did you see results? I figure I start slow since I'm in no shape to try insanity or p90x ( I would drop dead). Thanks guys !!:flowerforyou:

ZUMBA is always the answer!! I do it a minimum of 4 days per week, and doing only that and a reduced calorie diet lost me 12lbs in May.

One hour of good-effort-given Zumba burns 750-1,000calories. Not to mention it's an absolute blast and you don't realize you're exercising despite how sweaty you get, lol.

I'm working to become a certified trainer of Zumba, so of course I encourage it! I notice I have more stamina, definition, strength, and confidence (esp on the dance floor!)
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    to quote my boot camp instructor " if you want easy then go take zumba"

This is pretty ignorant, in my opinion. Obviously it's not going to compare to a boot camp, but most people don't realize that there is more than one type of Zumba. One specifically for older people, one in the water, one done completely sitting in a chair, the regular one people think of, and Zumba Tone (HARD).

It's dance, just remember that. It burns tons of calories and makes you sweat your face off. If you like workouts that don't feel like workouts, do it. It's the first thing I've ever found that I've stuck with. Love it love it.
    Ever see the body of a dancer? ;p
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I've gone to a few Zumba classes and I also own the Zumba game for Wii. I love it! I think it's something people of any fitness level can do, because you can go as fast or as slow as you'd like. It's just about letting loose, dancing, and having fun!

Also, it burns calories, and ANYTHING that burns calories helps you lose weight. Good luck!