why limit fruit intake?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    this all sounds so crazy. yeah sugar is bad, but you also need it! Fruit is so good for you its crazy, only eat some as dessert or breakfast sure and smoothies on occasion but i find it amazing people get so het up about fruit! i lost 50lbs (cw 128) and fruit was a massive contributor. no sugar in diet? yup you're going to binge.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    eat however much fruit you want as long as it fits your calories and you don't have insulin resistance/diabetes.

After years of rigorous blood testing (before meals, 1 and 2 hours after meals), I learned that many fruits caused a fast and high spike in my numbers, so I stopped or reduced the amount I consumed. Some fruits, like apples, don't cause my BG to spike much at all. But every diabetic reacts differently, and the only sure way to know how food affects your BG is to test, test, test...

Apples are lower on the glycemic load scale due to the fibre, so that makes sense. A lot of people make the mistake of only paying attention strictly to the amount of sugar or the glycemic index rather than glycemic load.

This is a great and fairly inclusive list that gives a pretty good overview of various food choices/brands etc will affect the average diabetic
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I hate fruit. I never ever eat fruit. I still got well fat and on the cusp of pre-diabetic [/science]
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what anyone says about fruit!! The positives outweigh any negatives.

And I can think of a thousand other sugary treats that are far worse than a healthy, natural piece of fruit...

Today , like most every other day I'm having:

Cranberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Banana
    Kiwi fruit

I don't go a single day without eating fruit.

:tongue:
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am literally munching on grapes as I read this.
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options
    eat however much fruit you want as long as it fits your calories and you don't have insulin resistance/diabetes.

After years of rigorous blood testing (before meals, 1 and 2 hours after meals), I learned that many fruits caused a fast and high spike in my numbers, so I stopped or reduced the amount I consumed. Some fruits, like apples, don't cause my BG to spike much at all. But every diabetic reacts differently, and the only sure way to know how food affects your BG is to test, test, test...

Apples are lower on the glycemic load scale due to the fibre, so that makes sense. A lot of people make the mistake of only paying attention strictly to the amount of sugar or the glycemic index rather than glycemic load.

This is a great and fairly inclusive list that gives a pretty good overview of various food choices/brands etc will affect the average diabetic

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm --- link didn't copy in last time apparently
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Thanks!
  • meganjcallaghan
    Options

Thanks!

no prob! I know there's probably a lot of people who look at that list and go "oh Thank God...I don't have to give up such-and-such AFTER all!!" it's handy to review every once in a while.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I am literally munching on grapes as I read this.

Phil-Thumbs-Up.gif
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fructose is processed by the liver, like alcohol, so it puts a strain on the liver. 2 pieces of fruit a day is perfect. If you're craving something sweet then fruit is the best choice instead of some processed sweet..
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Honestly, screw all these opinions. A big navel orange (around 100 cal) fills me up more than beans or nuts. 2 Tbsp of almonds is 100 cal.... and it doesn't taste so good. People in America started getting obese in 1980, it's the processed *kitten* that makes you fat. Eat natural and you'll be fine. And for the smoothie argument, add a scoop or two of protein powder to your smoothie and once again you're fine.

A lot of people here limit fruit intake and then eat a shitload of processed food and justify it as fiber and fat. Keep your calories below the limit and you will lose weight no matter what.

You tell people to eat naturally but then advocate for dumping protein powder in a smoothie? wut?