starvation mode

Options
I'm not trying to vent, but I'm getting so tired of this "starvation mode" myth. I wish people would remember those commercials with the starving kids in Africa. Do they look fat? People chiming in on things they don't know to be true really irritates me.

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Or how about anyone who is anorexic? Don't really see them suffering from "starvation mode" either.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    beating a dead horse..do you know how many times this exact post has been done...
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Starving kids in Africa never had any fat to lose, so there's never been anything for the body to store. Just my 2 cents on that comment.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/

"This is a natural physiological response, and isn’t really controversial. It is well accepted by scientists, and the technical term for it is “adaptive thermogenesis”"
    "Starvation mode is real, but it’s not as powerful as some people think.

It can make weight loss slow down over time, but it won’t cause someone to gain weight despite restricting calories."

un-bunch your panties.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to vent, but I'm getting so tired of this "starvation mode" myth. I wish people would remember those commercials with the starving kids in Africa. Do they look fat? People chiming in on things they don't know to be true really irritates me.

Oh... oh this again. This is fun.

0ade7246962f4f35ffe81573f96a37548c2a2753533a227c266ee53a3670e1ba.jpg
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I think people that mention 'starvation mode' are regularly referring to metabolic damage... Just sayin
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    AmyG1982 wrote: »

"This is a natural physiological response, and isn’t really controversial. It is well accepted by scientists, and the technical term for it is “adaptive thermogenesis”"

It can make weight loss slow down over time, but it won’t cause someone to gain weight despite restricting calories."

un-bunch your panties.

The link you provided indicates adaptive thermogenesis is a natural response to "long term" calorie restriction...which is true...but "starvation mode" as talked about by laymen means "my body is holding onto fat after 1 week of "assumed calorie deficit"

This is actually a better link for adaptive thermogenesis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Sure sounds like venting.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey, as long as there is an excuse for not making any progress: People will use it

• AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

un-bunch your panties.

The link you provided indicates adaptive thermogenesis is a natural response to "long term" calorie restriction...which is true...but "starvation mode" as talked about by laymen means "my body is holding onto fat after 1 week of "assumed calorie deficit"

Lol I didn't really think anyone thought you'd go into starvation mode after a week. my bad >_<
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

un-bunch your panties.

Lol I didn't really think anyone thought you'd go into starvation mode after a week. my bad >_<

I know right but you see it here all the time..."you're in starvation mode" when an op complains they've been dieting for a week or two and haven't lost anything....it's a "SMH" moment for sure.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    'Starvation mode activated'
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Those commercials that claim a cup of coffee costs 35 cents a day? What kind of crap drinking peasant do they think I am? I'm not drinking any coffee that's less than $4 a cup!!!!!

HA! Yes, that would be one terrible cup of coffee!!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I like when I eat 900 cal for the day because I know I'm gonna eat 2000 the next day & MFP tells me "You're not eating enough calories" Hello, I'm still chubby - not starving...I go by weekly average.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    1shauna1 wrote: »
    Those commercials that claim a cup of coffee costs 35 cents a day? What kind of crap drinking peasant do they think I am? I'm not drinking any coffee that's less than $4 a cup!!!!!

HA! Yes, that would be one terrible cup of coffee!!

I suspect that would be home brewed in a pot...

1kg can of maxwell house=12$ Cdn, divide that by about 14 days...3 cups a day...

yup that works out...

but 4$ for a cup of coffee jeez...and I thought my tims @ 1.90 was expensive...
  • Jayceca
    Jayceca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know and there is no way to change anyone's mind once they decide that it must be true because they saw it online. If they would just use common sense, they would realize how silly that is.You cannot gain weight if you are starving!!! There are all kinds of articles stating that the 'starvation mode' idea is a myth, if only people would think for themselves.

My husband is not feeling well this week, so he didn't eat as much, he lost 3 lbs, (the rat). How come his body didn't go into starvation mode and gain weight?

Also, did you know that the statement that you must drink 8 glasses of water a day did NOT come from studies at all, it came from the bottled water companies. They are making a fortune on that. You don't need to 'flush' out your system. It has managed to take care of itself since time began without everyone walking around with a bottle of water in their hand. When you are thirsty, your body will let you know. I am 77 years old, and when I was growing up, not once did I ever see anyone constantly drinking water and we all managed to survive quite well.

I bet I'm going to get a lot of backlash on that one because, well, people BELIEVE what they think self appointed experts are telling them. Then everyone gets on the band wagon including the diet organizations.

People, there has NEVER been a scientific study on water consumption. You are putting millions of dollars in the pockets of the bottled water companies!! If you are thirsty, drink tap water, it's just a good, if not better.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I once thought I could accellerate weight loss by reducing calories further. After gaining weight progressively for 3 weeks, I read something that indicated if one consumes fewer calories than their RMR, they could gain weight. A quick calculation showed my new calorie level was below estimated RMR. So I returned to a higher calorie level (which was above RMR and below BMR) and began to lose again.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for sharing my experience, and some will call me a liar. I don't know the scientific reason behind why I started gaining when restricting calories further, but I will not do that again (at least not for more than a day or 2). It set me back and lost time.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

This sounds like something louis ck would say...