starvation mode

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    No it was not the girl that started it that I was referring to, in fact I understand what she is trying to say. Rocknlotsofrolls, I commend you. Too many people complain about gaining weight when they are eating less, take it from me who had an eating disorder when I was younger, it is impossible. Those people are the very ones cheating themselves, telling everyone they are on a diet and behind everyone's backs they are raiding the fridge and the cupboard. If anyone is serious about missing weight they should do it healthily and be disciplined in the way they follow the guidelines. The reason I put that info there about African is because I am sick and tired of the TV stations putting Africa as the place children starve. Did you know in Ireland, where I a from originally there are starving children and no one knows but them. Same every country of the world. We should stop complaining about not losing weight and instead do something about it. That is what we are here for right!!!!

People can starve everywhere, including Ireland. I don't think anyone disputes that. But 1 in 4 people in the sub-Saharan region of Africa are undernourished and that is the highest percentage known in the world. 1/3 of children whose development has been stunted by hunger live in Africa.

I'm not sure why you would be sick and tired of the problem being publicized when the problem is real. Would you rather not have people be aware of it?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I once thought I could accellerate weight loss by reducing calories further. After gaining weight progressively for 3 weeks, I read something that indicated if one consumes fewer calories than their RMR, they could gain weight. A quick calculation showed my new calorie level was below estimated RMR. So I returned to a higher calorie level (which was above RMR and below BMR) and began to lose again.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for sharing my experience, and some will call me a liar. I don't know the scientific reason behind why I started gaining when restricting calories further, but I will not do that again (at least not for more than a day or 2). It set me back and lost time.

if you really gained you were eating more than you thought.

you can eat lower than your RMR and lose weight and it not be unhealthy as long as it's not done for a prolonged period of time...and 3 weeks is not long enough.

That is an easy explanation, but doesn't hold water. I didn't change methods of measuring and logging food. I used a food scale before, during, and after the weight loss.

If I had, at the same time I dropped my calorie limit, stopped weighing food and started "eye-balling" everything... then returned to weighing when I resumed a higher calorie intake, then I could see your point.
    No, generating energy from nothing is what doesn't hold water.
    my thought as well.

CICO equation is math...there are variables but if you are sure of CI than it was your CO part that was off.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I once thought I could accellerate weight loss by reducing calories further. After gaining weight progressively for 3 weeks, I read something that indicated if one consumes fewer calories than their RMR, they could gain weight. A quick calculation showed my new calorie level was below estimated RMR. So I returned to a higher calorie level (which was above RMR and below BMR) and began to lose again.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for sharing my experience, and some will call me a liar. I don't know the scientific reason behind why I started gaining when restricting calories further, but I will not do that again (at least not for more than a day or 2). It set me back and lost time.

No hate, and there are reasons why that might happen--people might be less compliant at a lower level or move less or it could have been a fluke. But simply eating under RMR (which you don't actually know anyway, it's just a guess, and your body certainly does not know it) won't cause weight gain. There's simply no biological explanation for why that would be that makes sense.

I lost a great deal of weight eating under my BMR, as I regularly did until I started exercising more.

I don't now for reasons I think are good--I care about improving fitness and athletic performance and don't want to lose more muscle mass than necessary--but I'm confident that if I went down to 1200 again I'd lose faster than I have been. (But ugh, not doing that.)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

How much weight did you gain over those 3 weeks?

6 lbs.

Well you certainly didn't gain 6 lbs of fat in that time, especially not while undereating. I wonder if under stress of too little food your body was releasing more cortisol (or similar) which lead to water retention.

I have found with some patients that their weight loss improves with a small increase in calories, e.g. 1300 instead of 1100. Although I don't believe in starvation mode as it is commonly used, the CO part of the equation is complex and I think can be maximized by not cutting calories too dramatically.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

you can eat lower than your RMR and lose weight and it not be unhealthy as long as it's not done for a prolonged period of time...and 3 weeks is not long enough.

That is an easy explanation, but doesn't hold water. I didn't change methods of measuring and logging food. I used a food scale before, during, and after the weight loss.

If I had, at the same time I dropped my calorie limit, stopped weighing food and started "eye-balling" everything... then returned to weighing when I resumed a higher calorie intake, then I could see your point.
    my thought as well.

CICO equation is math...there are variables but if you are sure of CI than it was your CO part that was off.

I also used a Fitbit both before, during, and after... so no changes to method of measuring calories out either.

I'll repeat: I don't know the scientific reason behind why I started gaining when restricting calories further. But just because I don't understand something does not make it untrue.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No it was not the girl that started it that I was referring to, in fact I understand what she is trying to say. Rocknlotsofrolls, I commend you. Too many people complain about gaining weight when they are eating less, take it from me who had an eating disorder when I was younger, it is impossible. Those people are the very ones cheating themselves, telling everyone they are on a diet and behind everyone's backs they are raiding the fridge and the cupboard. If anyone is serious about missing weight they should do it healthily and be disciplined in the way they follow the guidelines. The reason I put that info there about African is because I am sick and tired of the TV stations putting Africa as the place children starve. Did you know in Ireland, where I a from originally there are starving children and no one knows but them. Same every country of the world. We should stop complaining about not losing weight and instead do something about it. That is what we are here for right!!!!

It annoys me more that there are starving children in the UK and yet the TV tells me I have to help feed the starving kids *wherever*... should we not be sorting out our own homeless/starving/poverty problems before jumping into everyone elses to help??

Sorry, bit OT there!!

My fave recent comments from someone in my work fat club who WOULD NOT have it any other way...

"You MUST eat breakfast, it starts your metabolism"
    -I would worry if my metabolism had stopped, actually I wouldn't, pretty sure I'd be DEAD!

"Sugar instantly converts into fat"
    -Regardless of CICO? Apparently YES!!! But fruit is OK apparently. That's good sugar.

You shouldn't do fasting (as in 5:2) you will go into starvation mode and stop losing weight

After trying to explain the breakfast thing I just couldn't be bothered....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

my thought as well.

I also used a Fitbit both before, during, and after... so no changes to method of measuring calories out either.

I'll repeat: I don't know the scientific reason behind why I started gaining when restricting calories further. But just because I don't understand something does not make it untrue.

No. But the reason you believe it happened is incorrect. There's something else going on. something you are missing. Nobody has ever failed to lose weight by eating too little.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Hello janejellyroll, when were you last in Africa? The problem is not hunger, it is the government of those countries and the selfishness of those in power. There are feeding shelters everywhere, some ran by people I know. Africa's problem is the leaders are greedy. I am here in Africa and know what the real problem is. Until those in power let the wealth spill o er then there will be poverty. You can go to the village and everyone their shares their food. They are community centred and the churches feed the widows and the hungry. Don't believe everything you see online or hear on the news. Come and see for yourself. I have business here and employ many people who in turn help the less privileged. I will be opening a home for orphaned children and the homeless when the time is right. You are welcome to come if you want.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Hello janejellyroll, when were you last in Africa? The problem is not hunger, it is the government of those countries and the selfishness of those in power. There are feeding shelters everywhere, some ran by people I know. Africa's problem is the leaders are greedy. I am here in Africa and know what the real problem is. Until those in power let the wealth spill o er then there will be poverty. You can go to the village and everyone their shares their food. They are community centred and the churches feed the widows and the hungry. Don't believe everything you see online or hear on the news. Come and see for yourself. I have business here and employ many people who in turn help the less privileged. I will be opening a home for orphaned children and the homeless when the time is right. You are welcome to come if you want.

Why do I have to have been to Africa in order to have an educated opinion about hunger and the impact it has worldwide?

Yes, politics is at the root of the problem -- but the impact of hunger is real. Nothing I have said argues against that point. I am also not arguing that there are no feeding shelters or that people will not help each other.

Are you claiming that there are no hungry children in Africa?
  • jorinya
    Options
    If you are so concerned about starving children, feed those that you can feed near you or do something about the problem. I am here helping as best I can. Instead of buying designer handbags, shoes and things you don't need, spend your money on things that can help and stop criticising those that are doing things on the ground. Stop complaining and do something.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to vent, but I'm getting so tired of this "starvation mode" myth. I wish people would remember those commercials with the starving kids in Africa. Do they look fat? People chiming in on things they don't know to be true really irritates me.

Other features of starvation mode: irritability, rigid/obsessional thinking, moodiness...
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    If you are so concerned about starving children, feed those that you can feed near you or do something about the problem. I am here helping as best I can. Instead of buying designer handbags, shoes and things you don't need, spend your money on things that can help and stop criticising those that are doing things on the ground. Stop complaining and do something.

Who criticized anyone on the ground?

How do you know what I do about hunger in my community?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    beating a dead horse..do you know how many times this exact post has been done...

This.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    ah this thread is now become an attack on peoples values. that is not fair . how do u know others aren't helping locally? how do u know your the only one doing good deeds? my husband was a missionary but im not going to tell others to do it. i can't....even..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Stop complaining and do something.

Who's complaining?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

my thought as well.

No. But the reason you believe it happened is incorrect. There's something else going on. something you are missing. Nobody has ever failed to lose weight by eating too little.

That could be... maybe it was water weight or maybe there is something else that caused it. If reducing calories consistently caused something to change the almighty CICO equation (such as changes to resting CO) and I don't know how to prevent the same thing next time, then I will continue to eat above RMR in order to avoid going backwards.
  • jorinya
    Options
    Ok, I'm not getting in to a battle with anyone and not playing silly games of push the blame. As for losing weight, it all boils down to you metabolism and your own body. We are all different. Some people can eat like a horse and never gain weight, others, me included have to be more careful. I'm on the type of diet they don't like you mentioning, I'm eating way less than I am supposed to and will step up to 1000 soon, once I hit my target. I have lost almost 10 kg in three weeks and before that 4kg in the space of two months. Sometimes you can lose a 1kg here and so me times to 0.5kg the next week and have done the exact same thing both weeks. Our bodies are funny things. But hey, a loss is a loss. Oh sometimes you can gain muscle and will think you gaining weight but you not.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Ok, I'm not getting in to a battle with anyone and not playing silly games of push the blame. As for losing weight, it all boils down to you metabolism and your own body. We are all different. Some people can eat like a horse and never gain weight, others, me included have to be more careful. I'm on the type of diet they don't like you mentioning, I'm eating way less than I am supposed to and will step up to 1000 soon, once I hit my target. I have lost almost 10 kg in three weeks and before that 4kg in the space of two months. Sometimes you can lose a 1kg here and so me times to 0.5kg the next week and have done the exact same thing both weeks. Our bodies are funny things. But hey, a loss is a loss. Oh sometimes you can gain muscle and will think you gaining weight but you not.

I am not sure what you mean about "push the blame." The only person who is taking offense to the statements of others is you. The only person saying that others are not doing enough is you.

I'm not even sure exactly what you are upset about.

• lawnis04
    lawnis04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as weight gain vs weight loss. It's more about metabolism. If you're not giving your body enough nutrients, your metabolism will slow down in an attempt to preserve energy. You will lose both muscle and fat. And when you eat higher than you usually do, your body will try to hold onto that and store it rather than burning it as it normally would. This doesn't necessarily result in weight gain, but it can stall weight loss for a period of time (obviously not for good... your body can only do so much).

It also means you're more prone to bingeing because your body wants the nutrients it needs, so when you do eat more, sometimes you end up eating everything because it's triggered your body to almost... "scream"(?) out for food with insatiable cravings. And, of course, regular binges can result in weight gain.

And then of course, when your metabolism slows down, if you up your caloric limit, you will gain weight a lot faster than someone else eating that same amount who hadn't screwed up their metabolism. And your body is a lot more likely to store that new energy as fat rather than muscle for a while because it doesn't know whether it's going to need it later or not.