Electronic Cigarettes

Options

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    That is a horrible birthday gift.
    That's not really quitting. It's just another way of getting the drug into the body, albeit much less annoying to those around the person.

That's a very nice, thoughful birthday gift, IMO.

Smoking is the WORST way to get your nicotine. Heart disease, emphysema, lung cancer, COPD, etc, etc, etc. These are not particularly nicotine problems - they are smoking problems.

"quit or die" is a stupid choice when there is a spectrum of lower harm choices that they can make. They can always go for completely abstaining from nicotine later - after they stop killing themselves and hurting the people around them with smoking.

buying this for a smoker would be the equivalent to buying a diet book, or a gym membership or something for someone overweight as a birthday gift. If someone bought that out of the blue for someone who showed no desire to change habits, that would probably be insulting.

however, since she added the information that her friend has been wanting one, that changes everything.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    That's not really quitting. It's just another way of getting the drug into the body, albeit much less annoying to those around the person.

Oh yes, they should just continue with real cigarettes with all the stuff that kills them instead of getting the stuff they crave in a way that isn't going to kill them (unless they choked on it) :noway: Your comment was annoying to those around you.

Although I do agree it's a lame birthday present if they have asked for it then they're clearly not going to be disappointed.

I have been tobacco free for near 2 months using VIP Cigarettes. Which I think are an American company who recently started selling here in the UK.

I'll come off it eventually but in the meantime at least I've stopped shortening my life and on my way to being completely addiction free.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get a friend to quit smoking so I was considering buying an electronic cigarette for their birthday. I have never been a smoker so I know absolutely nothing about this. Which ones out there are the best? Thank you!
    I can guarantee you that you will be wasting your money. People smoke for a variety of reasons, sometimes just because they enjoy it. They will NOT stop because someone else thinks they should. It's a similar premise to being here on MFP. Just because your loved one SHOULD doesn't mean they WILL. They will only do it when they are ready to do it.

And I didn't read all the responses, but DID see someone saying it was a bad idea just because it was still giving you the drug. Nicotine in and of itself in the small doses obtained in a vaporizer (e-cig) are not harmful. Cigarettes are EXTREMELY harmful as they have a ridiculous amount of chemicals added to them by the tobacco companies to make them even more addictive. Additionally, e-cigs are just water vapor, so there's also no "second-hand" from them. Educate yourself before making comments like that...

ETA: I just saw that the friend apparently wants one. V4L.com (Vapor 4 Life) has KR808D kits which are very easy for a beginner to use. They *do* look more like traditional cigarettes, but they are a simple two piece design. You have a rechargeable battery & a cartomizer (or a tank, which is my preference) and don't have to deal with dripping on an atomizer like with the 501s. Some people like to do the drip thing, and that's fine if it's your preference, but I know that a lot of people find the KR808s as a great beginner device.
  • robinvandezande1
    Options
    I don't know which would be the best one, but some make nicotine free inserts so the person gets the action of smoking without actually taking in the drugs...the nicotine itself is a drug just like caffeine in coffee, soda & chocolate...it is a very addicting drug ...if your friend is committed to quitting smoking, then I think this is a great gift. It will help them to get rid of the stink of an actual cigarette ... in addition, they will only be taking in the nicotine and not the carcinogens that a real cigarette contains. They can eventually wean to the nicotine free inserts if they choose.
  • Pierrefr44
    Options
    Hey,

Not a smoker myself, but I have 5 friends and family members around me who were heavy smokers (up to a pack a day) who dead stopped smoking cigarettes the minute they started the e-cig. Sure you still bring the drug into you, but none of the 4000 others chemicals. I believe that is the main aspect of this. When talking about it they tell you stories of smelling toasted bread for the first time in years, your tastecoming back etc..

And this is a great gift, to give someone the means to get rid of this killing habit, especially if they mentioned they want one.

just my 2 cents.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The people who are commenting negatively are obviously not smokers or in relationships with smokers.

My boyfriend quit smoking by buying an electronic cigarette. After using the e-cig for maybe 3 months he quit that, too. Personally I think it really works, because I've SEEN it work for him.

I think it's a good gift that your friend will appreciate.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Obviously not their only birthday gift but I think adding years on to their life is a great gift! And being best friends with a health professional I guess you should expect things like that. But thanks for your useless input. Have a great day.

people who ask a question and then get agitated with the responses reminds me of people on Kitchen Nightmares or Super Nanny (or any other "rescue" show) who call someone for help, but want to fight with the person they called for help.

Correct me if I am wrong but I asked if a simple question about which ecigs were best, not if it was going to be a suitable birthday gift for someone they have never met. Some of you all on here love to pick fights.

My response is none are the best because that would be a horrible birthday gift in my opinion (which you asked for). :happy:
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have a Joye 510 that helped me quit, they have starter kits for around $50 and they have rechargeable batteries and use flavored nicotine "juices" that you buy separately to drip inside. I like that all the parts are replaceable so it is relatively low cost to maintain/replace parts as needed (batteries and atomizers tend to wear out after awhile). I also like that it's relatively small and discrete, most people don't even notice it.

And yes I am still hooked on my ecig but it's been over a year since I had a cigarette and I am healthier than ever, saving lots of money and time and some icky health-related smoking symptoms have disappeared so for the person that doesn't count it as quitting...you really don't know what you are talking about, just sayin'..........

^^^ This! I bought my stuff through www.supremenicotine.com, they have THE BEST juices. And they sell the JoyeTech products mentioned above (these happen to be some of the best in the industry). The only problem I can foresee is that you don't find the "right" juice. There are so many flavors. Some people like traditional tobacco flavors while other like candy, soda, fruit and dessert flavors. The key to success is finding the right flavor.

I quit smoking two years ago this month. I switched to e-cigs and NEVER looked back. I finally gave it up altogether this past February. I find that using an e-cig is an alternative way to get off cigarettes. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to drop the nasty cigarette habit
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    for a while before I quit, I used an palm vaporizer. I think you should just get your friend one of these.

palm-vape10.jpg

hmm Have you thought about going non electric alternatives?
    rizerhome.jpg
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've been a smoker for more than twenty years. Just this past week I started on an e-cig. I enjoyed to smoke but have been wanting to quit and the taste that cigarettes left in my mouth was starting to bother me. I chose an apple flavored cartridge of an e-cig and I think this time it will help me quit and eventually I'll go off of the e-cig. For me it's more the habit of having something in my hand, especially if I have a drink or am driving in the car.

I would appreciate if someone gave me one of these for a birthday gift.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If someone bought that out of the blue for someone who showed no desire to change habits, that would probably be insulting.

True.

I don't buy birthday presents for people I don't know really well.

But yeah - buying people any sort of self-help stuff out of the blue might go horribly wrong if you don't know them pretty well. ;)

"Happy birthday! Here's a book on improving your personality!" :)
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The people who are commenting negatively are obviously not smokers or in relationships with smokers.

My boyfriend quit smoking by buying an electronic cigarette. After using the e-cig for maybe 3 months he quit that, too. Personally I think it really works, because I've SEEN it work for him.

I'm a former smoker, I quit two years ago. Had someone bought me an E-Cig for my birthday I highly doubt that would have been my "ah ha" moment when I decide to quit. If her friend was really ready and wanting to quit, they would have purchased the e-cig (or another remedy) for themselves for less than the cost of their weekly cigarettes.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Obviously not their only birthday gift but I think adding years on to their life is a great gift! And being best friends with a health professional I guess you should expect things like that. But thanks for your useless input. Have a great day.

people who ask a question and then get agitated with the responses reminds me of people on Kitchen Nightmares or Super Nanny (or any other "rescue" show) who call someone for help, but want to fight with the person they called for help.

Correct me if I am wrong but I asked if a simple question about which ecigs were best, not if it was going to be a suitable birthday gift for someone they have never met. Some of you all on here love to pick fights.

you're not wrong about what you asked. but, in an open forum you can't really control the types of responses you get that range from addressing the question posited to commentary on the gift selection. Some people thought it might be worthwhile to re-think the gift selection itself, and while that didn't specifically address what you asked, they were still trying to help you to not make a mistake. (again, since you have added that your friend wants one, it does change things a bit)

Imagine if you asked whether you should shoot yourself in the head or in the chest and someone said "i don't think you should shoot yourself at all," would that be seen as picking a fight?

i could argue that the comment of calling someone's comment as "useless" and doing it in a sarcastic manner would be the instigation of any subsequent argument that might occur.
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well...I dont visit my mum as she refuses to not smoke in her own home, and I refuse to make my children passive smoke. I bought her an ecig but unfortunately she dont use it. Personally I think it's a fab idea, but it depends on how much the smoker is set in their ways. If they really don't want to smoke real cigarettes anymore then it's perfect for them. My nan had lung cancer from smoking, that never stopped my mum or made her cut down, a smoking alternative wasn't for her either.
  • mariposa224
    Options

He quit smoking because he was READY to quit smoking. Not because someone else thought it was a good idea. That's the difference.

She later added that her friend apparently wants one, but can't afford it. I honestly believe like another poster, that if she really WANTED to, she would divert funds from her cigarette money to purchase an e-cig and supplies. JMO
  • mariposa224
    Options
    Well...I dont visit my mum as she refuses to not smoke in her own home, and I refuse to make my children passive smoke. I bought her an ecig but unfortunately she dont use it. Personally I think it's a fab idea, but it depends on how much the smoker is set in their ways. If they really don't want to smoke real cigarettes anymore then it's perfect for them. My nan had lung cancer from smoking, that never stopped my mum or made her cut down, a smoking alternative wasn't for her either.
    Yeah, you've got to have the "want to" to do it. I'm sorry that your mother still smokes in her home, prohibiting you from visiting. That's unfortunate. Even when I was a full-on smoker, I made myself stop smoking in the house when my son was a baby. It wasn't easy, but it was necessary.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, they should just continue with real cigarettes with all the stuff that kills them instead of getting the stuff they crave in a way that isn't going to kill them (unless they choked on it) :noway: Your comment was annoying to those around you.
    I'll come off it eventually but in the meantime at least I've stopped shortening my life and on my way to being completely addiction free.
    Wow, so glad to know you have harmless nicotine over there across the pond in the land of unicorns farting rose-scented rainbows. Hate to tell you, but here in the states it triggers adrenaline release, putting your body into a fight or flight state, raises your heart rate, increases your blood pressure, and constricts blood vessels. An apparently uninformed Dr. Robert Millman over here, who is an addiction expert at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, also makes the wild claim that nicotine use without any tobacco involved, leads to hypertension and various forms of heart disease (I'm too lazy to cite any more sources, and I have the feeling it's like teaching a pig to sing anyway).
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you, but here in the states it triggers adrenaline release, putting your body into a fight or flight state, raises your heart rate, increases your blood pressure, and constricts blood vessels.

Hate to tell you - but caffeine has those _exact_ same effects.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you, but here in the states it triggers adrenaline release, putting your body into a fight or flight state, raises your heart rate, increases your blood pressure, and constricts blood vessels.

Wow, I'm impressed that you know more than the Mayo Clinic. You might want to apply for a job there so you can set them straight because they apparently believe it doesn't: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Wow, I'm impressed that you know more than the Mayo Clinic. You might want to apply for a job there so you can set them straight because they apparently believe it doesn't: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

Dosage and context are important...

There are numerous studies that show that nicotine, while highly addictive, is no more harmful than caffeine in appropriate doses.