Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Do you drink it instead of eating food? In order to consume fewer calories than you would if you ate a healthy diet? So that you can lose weight?

No.
    I am laughing at the people lying about it not being a meal replacement.

k. glad you're laughing at your made up preconceived opinion. at least you can amuse yourself. :smile:

The people who make it sell it as a meal replacement. I mean the actually company that manufactures it, that makes the recipe, that named it and that markets it, says that it is a meal replacement. Not sure how that counts as a 'preconceived notion' as opposed to an 'obvious truth that 5 seconds with Google revealed'.

h1qqvvslziar.jpg

that's awesome. you've mastered how to google "shakeology". that's not how i use it though.

ok, that doesn't at all change what kind of product it is, though. But great for you, use it however you want. (Unless you use it to make money, in which case you're kind of horrible)

If I buy a car, but don't use it as a mode of transportation, does it mean it's not a car any more?

giphy.gif

that analogy doesn't work. a car has no other purpose but as a mode of transportation. it's completely nonsensical to compare the two. any sort of food-type substance can be used in someones day for a plethora of reasons. if i eat 200 cals of sweet potato fries am i using it as a meal replacement? no. i am not. what of all those whey protein powders people buy and use? i hope you all are going batshit on them, the people who spend money on them, and the horrible people who sell those products.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you drink it instead of eating food? In order to consume fewer calories than you would if you ate a healthy diet? So that you can lose weight?

No.

k. glad you're laughing at your made up preconceived opinion. at least you can amuse yourself. :smile:

The people who make it sell it as a meal replacement. I mean the actually company that manufactures it, that makes the recipe, that named it and that markets it, says that it is a meal replacement. Not sure how that counts as a 'preconceived notion' as opposed to an 'obvious truth that 5 seconds with Google revealed'.

h1qqvvslziar.jpg

that's awesome. you've mastered how to google "shakeology". that's not how i use it though.

ok, that doesn't at all change what kind of product it is, though. But great for you, use it however you want. (Unless you use it to make money, in which case you're kind of horrible)

If I buy a car, but don't use it as a mode of transportation, does it mean it's not a car any more?

giphy.gif

that analogy doesn't work. a car has no other purpose but as a mode of transportation. it's completely nonsensical to compare the two. any sort of food-type substance can be used in someones day for a plethora of reasons. if i eat 200 cals of sweet potato fries am i using it as a meal replacement? no. i am not. what of all those whey protein powders people buy and use? i hope you all are going batshit on them, the people who spend money on them, and the horrible people who sell those products.

Analogy works fine for my purposes which was to make a joke so carry on, but a car could be "art, garden decor, a relic...etc".

All I said was that Shakeology is a waste of money and not worth the price.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

No.

h1qqvvslziar.jpg

giphy.gif

that analogy doesn't work. a car has no other purpose but as a mode of transportation.

Sure it does.

It can be a battering ram

Or a lawn ornament
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

No.

h1qqvvslziar.jpg

giphy.gif

Analogy works fine for my purposes which was to make a joke so carry on.

comedy is not your strong suit. keep your day job.

for you, that may be true. luckily each person has different tastes and preferences with regard to their food consumption.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

No.

h1qqvvslziar.jpg

giphy.gif

Analogy works fine for my purposes which was to make a joke so carry on.

comedy is not your strong suit. keep your day job.

for you, that may be true. luckily each person has different tastes and preferences with regard to their food consumption.

Did I ever say otherwise? The question of the thread was "Is it worth it?". Are you getting defensive because I don't think so? If you want to spend money on something that you could get for 1/5 the cost and not have to go through a scamming company such as Beachbody then carry on...I don't care one way or the other. But if someone asks, I will still tell them that it isn't worth the price and you could get a whey protein powder and a multivitamin and get the same nutrition. If one wants to pay inflated prices, so be it, but that doesn't change whether it's a waste or not.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    a car can be used as a home
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    haha dude! you're just asking for 50 million 'coaches' to PM you saying they'll send you a free sample and asking you to join their team lol
  • JoReddBowe
    JoReddBowe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Like a lot of people, I've tried many of the fad products, including pills and shakes. Then I think of the long term: those do not build healthy, life-long eating habits for me or my family.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options

No.

h1qqvvslziar.jpg
    Actually BB doesn't manufacture it. They use a 3rd party manufacturer, just like many other supplement companies. So there really isn't verification if the product actually getting put it is pure since raw material if more than likely from a country (China for one) that has no regulation for it. There could be all types of contaminants in it.
    Also when one states a "proprietary blend", you have no idea of what dosage each ingredient is in. So while they may say an ingredient is in it, dosage amount does matter for efficiency.
    And last, if it so "natural" then why didn't they get a "Certified Organic Seal"?

For the amount of money it costs and what you're really getting, I think it's overpriced.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Nope it's crap. Its over price junk . go buy better quality protein powder from the store for a lot cheaper . don't waste your time or money. They make money from sales so of coarse are going to tell you it's a good product,but its really crap
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

No.

h1qqvvslziar.jpg

giphy.gif

Look, someone upthread got all pissy and caps-locked THIS IS NOT A MEAL REPLACEMENT PRODUCT. I'm just saying that was bs. </myparticipationinthisthread>

Spoiler alert: I think he was backing you up on this one.

Ah, so there is a downside to posting from work after all...I realized that while walking to this meeting that I'm in right now.
  • jaquelinejael123
    jaquelinejael123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know some who have used their own recipes with great success - however using the shake as a meal replacement for 2/day is somewhat unsustainable- atleast for me. A typical recipe would go as follows:

1 scoop protein powder
    1 tbs powder fiber
    1 tbs sf pudding mix (cheesecake is good!)
    4 or so ice cubes
    1 cup cold water
    Blend all appr 45 seconds
    Equates to roughly 200 cals per shake

You can also add in things while being mindful of calories. I like using frozen bananas or peanut butter sometimes - but keeping it basic keeps cals down. Plus you may want to experiment with different protein powders as they all have different tastes. I prefer the women's formulas.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Get your favorite flavor of Muscle Milk. Mix one scoop with 1 cup of low fat Greek Yogurt and 1/2 cup of unsweetened Almond Milk (or skim milk). Throw it all in the blender with 1 cup spinach and a banana. Costs less than $1.

452 calories, 41 grams of protein.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The use of the word 'coach' really annoys me considering they all seem to be overweight clueless people giving a hard sell on a product no one needs.

Not nice.

This !!!!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've tried it, but never used it on a regular basis. However, I feel that is WAY too expensive; you can buy a comparable (or nearly so) meal-replacement shake for a fraction of the cost (and that's assuming that you want/need a meal-replacement shake). Plus, I'm always influenced by how companies market their products; it seems the more outlandish the claims, the less worthwhile the product. Most of the Shakeology marketing seems predicated on the notion that human beings have somehow evolved to have nutritional requirements that require us to eat more food than our bodies can hold. That sort of thing always gives me pause.

On the other hand, if you have the money and want to help your friends, I don't think Shakeology is actually "bad," just overpriced and overhyped.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's not a weight loss product.

That's odd given the way the company markets it. Their Google search result -- which is tuned by the Shakeology company itself, not by Google -- says this:
    Shakeology – The Healthiest Meal Replacement Shake

This superfood-packed protein shake helps you lose weight the healthy way, fight junk food cravings, increase your energy, and improve your digestion.
    ‎Buy Now - ‎Flavors - ‎Recipes - ‎FAQs

Given the company calls it a meal replacement product and a weight loss aid it's easy to understand why some might think it is both these things.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As I am a natural skeptic, technologist, and science nut, I figured there'd be someone out there who has looked at this product under a microscope and sure enough:

http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html

Protein is protein is protein. If this or some other similar product works for the user, that's great. I know a woman that detests garlic and could never enjoy a lovely roasted lamb shoulder but would drink a repulsive protein concoction without thinking about it. :smile:

Lots of different eating practices work for different people.

My only issue is with the company claims.

Ok, I also just don't like processed foods in general and this sort of thing is at the apex of processed "foods" I'm sure we can all agree.

Lead?

http://www.naturalnews.com/044152_Dr_Oz_Shakeology_Greenberry_heavy_metals.html

I wonder where the source materials come from.
  • jess91484
    jess91484 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No it tastes awful and just gave me cravings and made me sick
  • Losing2Fast2Furious
    Losing2Fast2Furious Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have the luxury of time to plan out my meals and make my own shakes out of whole foods. Shakeology is a rip-off for me.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I bought the sample package and have only tried the chocolate.. it tasted so so.. I felt like every time I burned and it made me burn a lot that I tasted vitamins.. vitamins make my stomach hurt so not.a good feeling.. I also had horrible gas. Very bad. I have yet to try the rest cause I am worried about my side effects.. so while who knows if I will try the rest to test if it was the shakes that did it.