Improving Run Time/Improving Run Distance

Options
2»

Replies

• MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Great advice here! I've read in a plethora of books - that running is what helps running speed and distance. The more you run the faster you get. Running longer, farther....and throw in sprints.

It has proved true for me.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This is the time to build & acclimate your body.

Be patient and work on the basics.... proper form, foot plant & building your base while dropping more weight. One of the biggest obstacles to speed is weight. (I certainly know) Work on strengthening your core, do some lunges, squats and toe raises. Being overweight or having bad form poses more risk of injury and causing the new runner to quit out of frustration.

Once you build a base and drop the weight then you can dial up the speed.

Enjoy
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The biggest help for me (and based on lots of reading on the topic) is the following:

To improve your pace, incorporate some interval training. Doesn't need to be anything fancy - alternate your slow jog with short periods where you run as fast as you can. You'll be AMAZED how big a difference this makes!

To improve your distance, add 10% to a long run each week and run this one at your slow pace.

I usually do one speedwork run, one long run, and then another run that is a little faster than my long run each week.
  • reneeover
    reneeover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first got into running, I used a TrainingPeaks beginner 5K program and it really helped ease me into improving time and distance in a safe, gradual, injury-free way. It did cost money (I felt it was worth it) but there are a ton of free ones out there. I've just been trying to add distance lately but the time is falling off every week on my short runs (3-4 miles).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    As a few of the other posters here have said, you need to run more. Doing HIIT will give you a quick improvement, but it won't take you far. In order to run faster, you have to run more distance over time. This is the tried and true method that is accepted as the gospel by running coaches from the running store all the way up to Olympic coaches.

You can already run 30 minutes, so the C25K is too beginner for you. If you are currently running every other day, I would suggest you increase the time of 2 of your weekly runs. Go for 35 to 40 minutes on those and keep the other runs at 30. Do this for a few weeks, that cut back to all 30s, then start to increase a third run. Do 30, 35, 40, 35 one week. That type of thing. Work toward doing 4 runs a week, with two being 45 minutes, one being 60 minutes and the other being 75 minutes. Take a few months to get there. When you have conquered that, you'll be ready to post her asking for the next step. :)

^ This. More running.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    As a few of the other posters here have said, you need to run more. Doing HIIT will give you a quick improvement, but it won't take you far. In order to run faster, you have to run more distance over time. This is the tried and true method that is accepted as the gospel by running coaches from the running store all the way up to Olympic coaches.

You can already run 30 minutes, so the C25K is too beginner for you. If you are currently running every other day, I would suggest you increase the time of 2 of your weekly runs. Go for 35 to 40 minutes on those and keep the other runs at 30. Do this for a few weeks, that cut back to all 30s, then start to increase a third run. Do 30, 35, 40, 35 one week. That type of thing. Work toward doing 4 runs a week, with two being 45 minutes, one being 60 minutes and the other being 75 minutes. Take a few months to get there. When you have conquered that, you'll be ready to post her asking for the next step. :)

Pretty much this!

I find that the longer I run, I "do" more = longer runs. I usually run for an hour and at least once a week I run almost 90 mins. :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Miles and miles and miles of running will make you faster.

For one of your running workouts, do some speed work. (intervals or fartleks... I love saying "fartleks")

For another one, do some hill work.

Do one "long" run every week. Increase distance slowly (no more than 10% per week on your long run... same for total weekly distance)

Follow that one with a "recovery run" the next day (light pace, short distance)

wash, rinse, repeat.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    haha you said fartleks :laugh:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    haha you said fartleks :laugh:

Oh he really didnt mean it.