Am I ready to bulk? Female at 5' 6" 132 lbs approx 24% BF?

Options
lauramillat
lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
Hello,

For about 6 months now I have been trying to maintain my weight (128-130) but attempt a recomp to gain muscle. (before that I was dieting, SLOWLY)

I get a gram (or more) of protein per lb of body weight everyday. I weight train 3x a week (a variation of strong lifts 5x5), one day of intense (strengthening) yoga and a couple days of relaxing (stretching) yoga. I also love walking. Some days if I am motivated I will "attempt" pull ups (right now I am doing slow negatives).

I decided about two weeks ago to try and bulk (by using MFP's "gain 0.5lb/week" setting).

Am I ready for this? Again, I am 5' 6" and 132 lbs now after just a couple weeks of "bulking". I am assuming the 2 lb gain isn't a "real gain". From visual comparisons of my body to charts online (photos) I would say I am anywhere between 23-26% body fat depending on what area of my body we are talking about...

Right now I want to gain muscle in my butt and legs. My strength training (3x a week) consists of deep weighted squats everyday, and some version of dead lift.

Am I on the right track? Should I be bulking? Or should I continue maintaining?

Thanks!

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Post pics.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    reasonle wrote: »
    Hello,

For about 6 months now I have been trying to maintain my weight (128-130) but attempt a recomp to gain muscle. (before that I was dieting, SLOWLY)

I get a gram (or more) of protein per lb of body weight everyday. I weight train 3x a week (a variation of strong lifts 5x5), one day of intense (strengthening) yoga and a couple days of relaxing (stretching) yoga. I also love walking. Some days if I am motivated I will "attempt" pull ups (right now I am doing slow negatives).

I decided about two weeks ago to try and bulk (by using MFP's "gain 0.5lb/week" setting).

Am I ready for this? Again, I am 5' 6" and 132 lbs now after just a couple weeks of "bulking". I am assuming the 2 lb gain isn't a "real gain". From visual comparisons of my body to charts online (photos) I would say I am anywhere between 23-26% body fat depending on what area of my body we are talking about...

Right now I want to gain muscle in my butt and legs. My strength training (3x a week) consists of deep weighted squats everyday, and some version of dead lift.

Am I on the right track? Should I be bulking? Or should I continue maintaining?

Thanks!

It's up to you. As a female, i wouldn't start bulking until i was atleast under 18%BF and KNEW that i was unhappy with my current mass. With that higher BF% it would be hard to see what you're working with or make measureable goals.

That's just MY thing. It's up to you. :)
  • lauramillat
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It's up to you. As a female, i wouldn't start bulking until i was atleast under 18%BF and KNEW that i was unhappy with my current mass. With that higher BF% it would be hard to see what you're working with or make measureable goals.

Just curious, are you at 18% in your profile pic? Because my abs look similar to that... Maybe I am lower than I think? I used to be overweight all through highschool so I am plagued with "fat kid syndrome" to this day at times.

• rainbowbow
    Options

Just curious, are you at 18% in your profile pic? Because my abs look similar to that... Maybe I am lower than I think? I used to be overweight all through highschool so I am plagued with "fat kid syndrome" to this day at times.

Nope, i was closer to 20% in that photo as measured with calipers.

0915a8c6595264f93572091492ecf967.jpg

Even still, I would try and lean out enough to where you can visibly see muscle separation in your legs or clear definition. Just to see what you have/where you are so you can make plans to bulk.

Alternatively, you can post a pic and I can try and give some advice. :)
  • lauramillat
    Options
    Hmm, from that I am DEFINTELY at the 21-23% range. Definitely.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'6", and I currently weigh ~128 lbs. I also eat at least 1 gram of protein per day and lift weights 3x a week.. Hi twin!
    I'm actually still losing right now, but I think I won't lose for much longer and I am also considering when it's time for me to start maintaining/bulking. :) Idk what my bf% is either though.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It'd be more effective/optimal to wait till you're leaner but it can be done. Both my bulks, I've been well over what is considered optimal, bf% wise, but I've been delighted with my results.

It's more a personal thing, if you can stand the unavoidable fat gain that comes with bulking then go for it.

Your initial gain will include a bit of water weight so don't panic, just keep an eye on things. 0.5 lb a week gain is perfect and if you find yourself getting a bit 'fluffy' for your liking, you can always cut again.
  • JLoRuthie
    JLoRuthie Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Nope, i was closer to 20% in that photo as measured with calipers.

0915a8c6595264f93572091492ecf967.jpg

Even still, I would try and lean out enough to where you can visibly see muscle separation in your legs or clear definition. Just to see what you have/where you are so you can make plans to bulk.

Alternatively, you can post a pic and I can try and give some advice. :)

• rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Some of us will need to see pictures to make a better determination. :p
  • rainbowbow
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hey JloRuthie, sorry i didn't respond to you.

The ideal weight for someone 5'8 is 140. So for someone being 50 pounds overweight it is ABOSLUTELY POSSIBLE to look like the 50%-ish range. I would say it's probably 40%-ish but the chart i posted doesn't do a good job of showing the higher ranges.

here's another incase you want to start a thread using it. Just quote me, and then copy and paste the image inside the brackets saying img below. :) good luck!

body-fat-percentage-men-women.png
  • lauramillat
    Options
    Updating an old post, but my profile pic is updated now, hopefully that will help determine if I am ready!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think you look a lot leaner than 24%. I'm definitely not an expert, but it looks like you should be good for a bulk. Hopefully some people with more experience will chime in with advice.
  • lauramillat
    Options
    Yeah, the BF scale I have (yes I know, horribly inacurate) says 21.9%. My profile pic is just a bit flexed in abs, but nowhere else.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" 122 lbs, and i am at 22% bf (july 1st i measured might be less now) i went to do a bod pod to get an accurate number. (I highly recommend btw). I started my weight loss journey 2 months ago dropped 15 lbs and now im trying to gain muscle.

For booty bulking, tons of squats, lunges, bridges, donkey kicks with weigh between calf and hamstring (my favorite ), and also weighed calf raises. I'd say you are ready to start bulking. Looking good lady.
  • lauramillat
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will have to wait till after November (getting married and I have to fit in the dress!!!) but now I know I can try bulking before cutting again! Right now I am maintaining (recomping) till wedding.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can take the dress in on the sides lol. ;-). Jk. Congrats.