over 40 crowd...do you still huff and puff after exercising?

Options
I'm 42 and even though I'm losing weight I still have a bit to go. Does the huffing and puffing and not catching breath get easier while losing for you? Just curious. I want more energy.

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It's gotten better from exercising.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    good. BTW, you don't look over 40.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Definitely less challenging with less weight to carry around and better fitness from exercising.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm 42 and even though I'm losing weight I still have a bit to go. Does the huffing and puffing and not catching breath get easier while losing for you? Just curious. I want more energy.

For me, it got easier. Now I can run my 4 miles in 38 to 40 minutes and talk at the same time. Never used to be able to do that.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    good. BTW, you don't look over 40.

I LIKE YOU <3

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    It also helps to focus on and control your breathing while you are exerting yourself. If you are running fast (or whatever cardio you are doing) try to not hold your breath or gasp for air. This limits your lung capacity. I pace my breathing with my steps. The slower and fuller breaths you take the easier it is.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    thanks guys. I do Zumba Wii for 20 minutes and I'm about to pass out, and I am wringing with sweat. Also, when I walk up the driveway to the bus stop, I'm gasping for air. It's good to know it gets better. I have 40 more pds to lose.
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. I do Zumba Wii for 20 minutes and I'm about to pass out, and I am wringing with sweat. Also, when I walk up the driveway to the bus stop, I'm gasping for air. It's good to know it gets better. I have 40 more pds to lose.

Please talk to a doctor about this if you haven't already.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    No huffing and puffing here. The more cardio you do the better it gets especially if you concentrate on controlling your breathing during the intense breathing part of the cardio.
  • sofaking6
    Options

Two things change as your cardio improves:

-the level of effort needed to get you out of breath
    -the time it takes to recover from being out of breath

Oddly, the second seems worth more to me. I still do gasp for air because I work dang hard, but it doesn't feel bad when I know that after a few seconds I'll feel fine. It's when you gasp for air and have no idea when you'll be able to take a decent breath again that it really sucks.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You need better cardio endurance. That comes from doing more cardio. Keep at it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Over fifty and my cardio fitness has vastly improved with practice. Rule out things like asthma, heart irregularities which can also leave you suddenly out of breath.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When I first started running at 45 I couldn't go 30 seconds and I wasn't technically overweight. I'm now 49 and run in half marathons. It's just conditioning. Keep at it and it'll get easier. If you are really having a hard time breathing I'll tell you the same thing I tell new runners who are having the same problem: slow down a bit. If you're really gasping for air, modify the moves a bit so they aren't quite so strenuous. New runners are instructed to go at a pace at which they can still hold a conversation because the goal is improved endurance, not speed. You'll improve your endurance better by going at a slower pace for longer and longer time periods than by pushing yourself too hard every time and getting worn out.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Problem is that the easier it gets, the harder I push. So I still end up huffing and puffing. I tend to play competitive sports so I'll push as much as I can.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Please talk to a doctor about this if you haven't already.

I agree with @kozykondition1 about this. You might have exercise-induced asthma, or some other similar problem. As people build up cardiovascular fitness, they become stronger and gain endurance, but even a normal mostly sedentary person shouldn't gasp for air when walking uphill.

A few years ago my wife started to find exercise harder than usual, and shortly thereafter, she reached a point where she had to rest on the 5-minute walk from our parking lot to the office. It turns out that she had developed a respiratory problem (not asthma, but similar), and it took a while and a number of doctor visits before they could figure out exactly what it was and how to treat it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah my mom lost all her endurance from progressive kidney disease.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to your doctor, but my breathing improved from cardio. Now I don't feel out of breath until my heartrate reaches 160 or more. I used to get out of breath walking up a hill while having a conversation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    <<40+ and I kick much *kitten*...

If you're truly gasping for air walking though, you should probably see someone about that. I didn't do much besides walk when I started out a few years ago...but I was a heavy 2-3 PAD smoker and very out of shape and I could still manage walking without gasping for air.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    sorry guys. What I meant is that when I walk up an incline I run out of breath. The driveway is uphill about 1/10 of a mile. I walk for 30 minutes every day with no problem. It's just the incline walking and the Zumba that wears me out. Thanks for your answers that it improves the more weight you lose. Thanks.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if im out of shape i'll huff and puff, but if i'm in good cardio shape, i don't. i go in and out of cardio shape a few times a year, its easy to get back into shape it just takes about 4-6 weeks.