Skipping meals

Options
It's almost Friday so I thought I would have a little fun and post a question. I may regret it later...
I had a bag of microwave popcorn and a donut from Duck's Donuts before I left work. (Well, half of a chocolate iced, and half of a maple bacon donut.) So now I am skipping dinner.
Perfectly fine, or bad idea?
I'm at around 1500 for the day and I've done very little exercise today at all.
Tell me what you think, and please support your assertion.
I mean, I know it's not going to kill me to miss a meal every once in a while, but this may become a pattern.
I have lost a little lately, but it's going sooo slowly. I am thinking of laying off the cardio, and just eating within my calorie goal most days. But is skipping meals really bad?

Replies

• mrsnightengale
    mrsnightengale Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If your gettin enough calories and feel fine I see no problem.

I tend to only eat when I'm hungry, so occasional I don't eat at every meal. Most often it's either breakfast or lunch that I skip.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I skip sometimes if ive already met my calorie needs. Or ill have a low cal protien bar that will usually get me through till morning
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I skip sometimes. As long as you're meeting your nutritional and caloric needs most of the time, skipping a meal or having a treat instead isn't the end of the world. Heck, I sometimes get going on pretty long stretches (weeks or months) of not eating breakfast at all, and I'm not dead or malnourished.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    No problem At all. If you ate like this everyday you might not feel your best.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    as long as you aren't hungry what does it matter what time of the day you're eating your calories?
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I cant sleep if i dont eat dinner. So sometimes even if i have done with calories goal for day..and even if i feel full..i do have my dinner. :(
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If sporadic,,,,,I would say fine.
    As a pattern - not so fine.
    But you know that,..........
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly 100% fine to skip meals. That is a great way to keep calories down.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I think it's really only a negative, even short term, if you are hungry and or need the energy for the rest of the day. I find if I try to keep low cal after a calorie heavy morning I end up being over tired and even dizzy if I havn't had enough of my macro/micros met. That being said, once in a blue moon dealing with that to keep calories on goal isn't going to have any long term effects.
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat only one meal a day. It is completely fine to do this, but if people choose not to, it is not because of weight loss directly. Some people need three meals a day or more if their sugar is low throughout the day or have other medical issues, loss of energy or changing the way you feel in a negative way, or if people skip meals and then are so hungry that they overeat in one sitting. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat, you will still lose weight. If you feel fine, go right ahead!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I am a little hungry, but not really. I'm drinking water, and a no calorie ICE sparkling pink grapefruit drink to help. As I am going to bed soon, I should be fine.
    I can't skip breakfast tomorrow, though! I work 6-2, and then I have a big interview after work!
  • fatcity66
    Options
    mxmakm wrote: »
    I almost always eat only one meal a day. It is completely fine to do this, but if people choose not to, it is not because of weight loss directly. Some people need three meals a day or more if their sugar is low throughout the day or have other medical issues, loss of energy or changing the way you feel in a negative way, or if people skip meals and then are so hungry that they overeat in one sitting. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat, you will still lose weight. If you feel fine, go right ahead!

This is what happens to me sometimes. I think I'm a bit hypoglycemic. But it only effects me when I am trying to function. I can usually sleep right through 1 or 2 meal times, no problem. LOL
  • dufus12
    Options
    And there you have your answer - ok now and again, but not as a pattern, not for you, not if you hungry going to bed.
    Iced water? That is an ED trick so please don't go down that rocky road,,,,,,,,,,
  • jillian4316
    jillian4316 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would say never skip breakfast, as this is what starts your metabolism for the day. Dinner, eh? Definitely skip able.. Especially if you've eaten your calories for the day. Maybe do a few jumping jacks or sit ups to burn some calories if you're interested in a small fruit or light snack.

Keep it up!
  • fatcity66
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    And there you have your answer - ok now and again, but not as a pattern, not for you, not if you hungry going to bed.
    Iced water? That is an ED trick so please don't go down that rocky road,,,,,,,,,,

Well, I always drink water with ice....but the ICE drink is just a no calorie drink with a tiny bit of juice in it. Like seltzer water.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I would say never skip breakfast, as this is what starts your metabolism for the day. Dinner, eh? Definitely skip able.. Especially if you've eaten your calories for the day. Maybe do a few jumping jacks or sit ups to burn some calories if you're interested in a small fruit or light snack.

Keep it up!

I actually did jumping jacks, lunges, push-ups, and running up and down stairs at work today. :) But only for 10 minutes, not enough to burn much.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. If you're not hungry and feel finished for the day, then don't worry about dinner. If you're doing it because you ate something special this morning, then I would look at that, as there is no reason to skip dinner. If you go over on calories, log it and move on.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You don't "start your metabolism" for the day; it's not a car. Your metabolism is always trucking along. If it weren't, you'd be dead. Breakfast is irrelevant except in how it makes you feel -- if you feel better and/or have more success meeting your nutritional needs with breakfast, great. Otherwise, it's unnecessary.
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    mxmakm wrote: »

This is what happens to me sometimes. I think I'm a bit hypoglycemic. But it only effects me when I am trying to function. I can usually sleep right through 1 or 2 meal times, no problem. LOL

I understand, although my problem is I usually don't have enough time for three meals a day. It seems like you shouldn't skip meals often then if it makes you feel weak/tired/dizzy/etc... Also, if you are hungry, it might be a good idea to eat something, even if it's something small. And if you go over, it's not a big deal. You'll probably still be at a deficit.
  • dufus12
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    dufus12 wrote: »

Well, I always drink water with ice....but the ICE drink is just a no calorie drink with a tiny bit of juice in it. Like seltzer water.

As long as it not abused and it being consumed for right reasons......