Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    And there you have your answer - ok now and again, but not as a pattern, not for you, not if you hungry going to bed.
    Iced water? That is an ED trick so please don't go down that rocky road,,,,,,,,,,

Well, I always drink water with ice....but the ICE drink is just a no calorie drink with a tiny bit of juice in it. Like seltzer water.

As long as it not abused and it being consumed for right reasons......

How do you abuse soda? (That's basically what ICE is.)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Three meals a day is a social construct. It doesn't matter when you eat.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    mxmakm wrote: »
    mxmakm wrote: »
    I almost always eat only one meal a day. It is completely fine to do this, but if people choose not to, it is not because of weight loss directly. Some people need three meals a day or more if their sugar is low throughout the day or have other medical issues, loss of energy or changing the way you feel in a negative way, or if people skip meals and then are so hungry that they overeat in one sitting. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter what you eat or when you eat, you will still lose weight. If you feel fine, go right ahead!

This is what happens to me sometimes. I think I'm a bit hypoglycemic. But it only effects me when I am trying to function. I can usually sleep right through 1 or 2 meal times, no problem. LOL

I understand, although my problem is I usually don't have enough time for three meals a day. It seems like you shouldn't skip meals often then if it makes you feel weak/tired/dizzy/etc... Also, if you are hungry, it might be a good idea to eat something, even if it's something small. And if you go over, it's not a big deal. You'll probably still be at a deficit.

Yeah, I just like to have a streak going that I am under my calories for the day for so many days in a row, while still being HONEST with my logging. I've had problems sticking to my calories in the past. But when I increased them, I stopped losing. I usually eat several times a day, but some may be meals, and some are snacks. I thought about having a bowl of soup...but I would still go over. And I'm going to bed soon, anyway.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    And there you have your answer - ok now and again, but not as a pattern, not for you, not if you hungry going to bed.
    Iced water? That is an ED trick so please don't go down that rocky road,,,,,,,,,,

Well, I always drink water with ice....but the ICE drink is just a no calorie drink with a tiny bit of juice in it. Like seltzer water.

As long as it not abused and it being consumed for right reasons......

Just curious...what are the "right reasons?"
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Meal timing is irrelevant. If you're not hungry and feel finished for the day, then don't worry about dinner. If you're doing it because you ate something special this morning, then I would look at that, as there is no reason to skip dinner. If you go over on calories, log it and move on.

I agree! And if you do go over today, try to cut back a bit tomorrow! I sometimes go under my calories and give myself a bit of extra calories to use for another day in the week, or to give myself a bit of grace if I go over one day. Otherwise, just log it and try to do better next time!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I skip meals if I am not hungry. I rarely eat breakfast, and sometimes (seldom) skip dinner. Do not see a problem at all.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Have you considered you might just naturally be an Intermittant Faster?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Three meals a day is a social construct. It doesn't matter when you eat.

This. Eat when you like. You can't skip something if it's not necessary.

Sometimes I eat 2 meals, sometimes 5. Do I skip meals on the days I eat 2? No! I just eat less frequently....
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would say never skip breakfast, as this is what starts your metabolism for the day. Dinner, eh? Definitely skip able.. Especially if you've eaten your calories for the day. Maybe do a few jumping jacks or sit ups to burn some calories if you're interested in a small fruit or light snack.

Keep it up!

Eating at a certain time in the morning does not magically jump start anything. Meal timing is a preference thing and nothing more.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I would say never skip breakfast, as this is what starts your metabolism for the day. Dinner, eh? Definitely skip able.. Especially if you've eaten your calories for the day. Maybe do a few jumping jacks or sit ups to burn some calories if you're interested in a small fruit or light snack.

Keep it up!

Uh no. You don't need to "start" your metabolism. Your metabolism is always running. This is just a bro science myth.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem. It has to be what works for you.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    Have you considered you might just naturally be an Intermittant Faster?

No, I have tried it, and I don't feel well if I go too long without eating. Unless, of course, I am sleeping. LOL Trying to function at my job without eating for 8+ hours is not an option.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    My stomach was growling when I went to bed so I had a bowl of soup. I put it on today's calories. I know you don't put on real weight overnight, but it's so frustrating to wake up having gained back most of the weight you lost over a week or 2 of hard work. It's not my TOM or anything, either.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine. What happens to me in these situations is I get hungry later and either cave or fight it til the next day. I have my best success when I just steer clear away from these treats that setbacks waiting to happen.

Then again, its one day. Live a little.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Keep it up!

That's a myth. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My stomach was growling when I went to bed so I had a bowl of soup. I put it on today's calories. I know you don't put on real weight overnight, but it's so frustrating to wake up having gained back most of the weight you lost over a week or 2 of hard work. It's not my TOM or anything, either.

Soup usually has a lot of sodium, so that's probably why you're up on the scale this morning-just a temporary thing though :)
  • haydenkibble
    haydenkibble Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Uh no. You don't need to "start" your metabolism. Your metabolism is always running. This is just a bro science myth.

What? Do you have any evidence to support this? Do you have any understanding of motabolism beyond your vague assumptions?

Your base metabolic rate slows during sleep due to less requirement for energy.
    When you wake up and have your first meal, the process of digesting food triggers dietary induced thermogenesis (DIT), which in turn raises your base metabolic rate.

Please do some research before sharing your 'expertise' in future.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry, then go ahead and skip it.
    But if you start to get hungry,.....it's best to eat something.
    I never go to bed feeling hungry.
  • fatcity66
    Options

Soup usually has a lot of sodium, so that's probably why you're up on the scale this morning-just a temporary thing though :)

Very good point. That is probably it. :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I personally find that it suits me better not to plan mealtimes; I have quite a hectic job (and social life lol) so me saying 'I am going to sit down and eat *this* at *this time* just never works for me. I eat when I'm hungry, of course making sure I don't go over my daily calorie intake. It's been working pretty well so far :)