Carbs

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Becky_W25 wrote: »
    I started training with him in January and told him my target areas. I'm extremely strong, I was a swimmer in school and trained like crazy, my upper body strength and legs are really good to the point where my shoulders and arms a bit manly haha but that's ok. My main area is my stomach and that bloody 'pudge' that just wont move! I explained this to him but everytime I saw him he would get me doing weights and muscle strengthening exercises but we never focused on my real trouble area. Once I paid the full amount, I still had about 10 sessions left with him, but he completely started interrupting me when I spoke (not caring what achievements I might have made that week or where I fell short) and going on his phone or walking away to talk to friends in the gym during our sessions. I complained of course and our sessions where pretty crap from then on. Saw him on Wednesday after i've been doing my own thing at the gym these past few weeks and mentioned my trouble area again (because there had been no change) and he said that instead of thinking about calorie intake I should focus on my carbs and only earing 25g carbs a day for dramatic weight loss. I read it all up online and it just didn't feel right.

There's no such thing as spot reduction. I'd say if he has you performing strength exercises, that's the one thing he's doing right.

Your body is going to lose fat from wherever it wants. You can do 10,000 crunches a day to "focus on your trouble area" but if your body has fat someplace else it wants to burn first, it will.

Doing strength exercises via a whole body workout is efficient at lowering BF% (ie...helping with the pooch) as you maintain muscle mass and lose mainly fat and water.
  • Becky_W25
    Becky_W25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I started training with him in January and told him my target areas. I'm extremely strong, I was a swimmer in school and trained like crazy, my upper body strength and legs are really good to the point where my shoulders and arms a bit manly haha but that's ok. My main area is my stomach and that bloody 'pudge' that just wont move! I explained this to him but everytime I saw him he would get me doing weights and muscle strengthening exercises but we never focused on my real trouble area. Once I paid the full amount, I still had about 10 sessions left with him, but he completely started interrupting me when I spoke (not caring what achievements I might have made that week or where I fell short) and going on his phone or walking away to talk to friends in the gym during our sessions. I complained of course and our sessions where pretty crap from then on. Saw him on Wednesday after i've been doing my own thing at the gym these past few weeks and mentioned my trouble area again (because there had been no change) and he said that instead of thinking about calorie intake I should focus on my carbs and only earing 25g carbs a day for dramatic weight loss. I read it all up online and it just didn't feel right.

There's no such thing as spot reduction. I'd say if he has you performing strength exercises, that's the one thing he's doing right.

Your body is going to lose fat from wherever it wants. You can do 10,000 crunches a day to "focus on your trouble area" but if your body has fat someplace else it wants to burn first, it will.

Doing strength exercises via a whole body workout is efficient at lowering BF% (ie...helping with the pooch) as you maintain muscle mass and lose mainly fat and water.

I'm trying to make sure I do at least 30 mins of strength and core a day along with 30 min cardio. Would this be something you'd say is a good routine?
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do a 25g daily carb intake and can you give me some suggestions/ideas to how I can get my carb count down?

Your working out twice a day, with weights, 5 days a week, so 10 weight training workouts...and at just 900-1000 calories? This is dangerous...

YOU NEED CARBS!! Your muscles love and prefer carbs to work, recover, and grow.

I load carbs up in the meal before weight traiing, drink a carb drink during the workout, and slam carbs after the workout.

Exactly what are your goals?

No..No one needs carbs. Sorry, not true. You had me with everything until you started with DANGER posts...
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    What you are describing is the Keto diet. If you are interested in trying that, check out:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

Nope, keto does not restrict calories to that low...it's like a keto diet, as she's keeping her carbs very low...but the calorie restriction does not fit as keto tends to be high fat for sustainability.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm new on here so I was wondering if anyone could help give some guidance, links and advice on something.

I'm working out at the gym 2 times a day, 5 days a week. 30 minute each session both weights, core strength and cardio at vigorous effort. I've been tracking my calories on a different app for the past 3 weeks and i've seen an occasional dip in my weight loss but nothing much and it's getting pretty frustrating.

I've been told that I should be focused more on my carb intake (currently at 100g a day) than calories (currently 900-1,000) and go to 25g (carbs) a day. It's hard to know how I can do that though, as everything seems to have carbs in it.

Does anyone else do a 25g daily carb intake and can you give me some suggestions/ideas to how I can get my carb count down?

Thank you!

Becky

who is telling you that? carbs don't make you fat. there can be benefits to low carb diets if you have certain health/metabolic issues...and many individuals who eat the SAD could stand to moderate their carb load (and make better nutritional decisions in general)...but there is nothing magical about low carb. It is just another way of controlling calories...many carbohydrates are calorie dense so when people cut carbs, they also tend to cut calories as well.

All diets work on the same premise...consuming less calories than you require to maintain the status quot.
  • Becky_W25
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi all!

I'm new on here so I was wondering if anyone could help give some guidance, links and advice on something.

I'm working out at the gym 2 times a day, 5 days a week. 30 minute each session both weights, core strength and cardio at vigorous effort. I've been tracking my calories on a different app for the past 3 weeks and i've seen an occasional dip in my weight loss but nothing much and it's getting pretty frustrating.

I've been told that I should be focused more on my carb intake (currently at 100g a day) than calories (currently 900-1,000) and go to 25g (carbs) a day. It's hard to know how I can do that though, as everything seems to have carbs in it.

Thank you!

Becky

who is telling you that? carbs don't make you fat. there can be benefits to low carb diets if you have certain health/metabolic issues...and many individuals who eat the SAD could stand to moderate their carb load (and make better nutritional decisions in general)...but there is nothing magical about low carb. It is just another way of controlling calories...many carbohydrates are calorie dense so when people cut carbs, they also tend to cut calories as well.

All diets work on the same premise...consuming less calories than you require to maintain the status quot.

Hi,

It was my old personal trainer. I saw him briefly on wednesday and I mentioned that I wasn't losing pounds around my stomach area (my main focus area) and he said that I should be consuming 25g carbs a day. Like I said, I really thought this was low and I looked it up online too. Only found this site yesterday so thought i'd ask everyone if
    1. it was possible
    2. sensible (I was very tentative when he told me)
    3. harmful

Thanks
  • Becky_W25
    Options
    KHS86 wrote: »
    Here's the answer, more calories out than calories in.

If you want to be more specific and count calories, then calculate your TDEE and eat so that you're in a 20% calorie deficit every day.

You can also just make it a fixed amount, like 500 calorie deficit.

It's a good idea to change your habits and lifestyle and start eating healthy permanently, so that you do not gain it all back when you're done losing weight.
    And the reason why it's not a good idea to drop the calories too low is that your body will adjust to the low amount of calories and think your starving, and therefore drop your metabolism, and then it gets really hard to lose weight.

1g fats = 9 calories
    1g carbs = 4 calories
    1g proteins = 4 calories

Drink water all day every day.

Eat
    Sleep
    Cardio
    Lift

Try only weighing yourself every 7 days, instead of every day, and do so in the morning when you wake up.

Good luck. :)

Thank you! :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

You're all being really helpful, thank you so much.

I have to admit, the personal trainer that told me to eat 25g only told me this on Wednesday and it's been playing on my mind a bit because i've always though it's healthier to eat around 100g :/ it got me really confused, hence why I asked what other people do actually manage the 25g intake - because I couldn't think of any way around it without passing out.

In terms of the 900-1000 daily calorie intake; i'm definitely not doing it as a starvation diet because I want to create a more healthy lifestyle for myself and make this a permanent lifestyle change rather than a quick fix you know? At the moment i'm consuming 900-1000 (over the past week) without really realising. A lot of fruits and healthy veg goes in to my day as well...but since being on this site i've realised what i'm actually consuming may not be the right amount. So in a way, it's really good that i've started counting my calories because I didn't realise I was so low if i'm honest.

MFP says I should be losing around 2lbs a week with my activity. I'm 5'2 and pear shaped.

Thanks for your guidance and advice everyone, I really do appreciate. Especially pointing out that this guy was being silly about 25g carbs. I really appreciate your help.

1. your trainer is an idiot and I suggest finding a new one.
    2. you need to net at least 1200 calories a day

I love how people say "you need to at least 1200 calories a day" this is not a one size fits all number. Most people generally eat too little when trying to lose weight. If you are working out that much you do need to eat a lot more calories, even to lose weight. You need to figure out your TDEE and create a deficit from there to lose weight. You need more calories than you think and you will still lose weight. When I first attempted to lose weight I fell for the 1200 calorie a day BS and ended up soo extremely exhausted and just drained. It took me a while to figure out that I wasn't eating enough to sustain myself during and after my workouts, which took away from what I could do during my workouts as well. Also, carbs are not your enemy. Get your carbs from veggies, fruits, rice, oats, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc..complex carbohydrates. NOT candy, cakes, donuts, etc.

If you don't know what your TDEE or BMR is there are lots of posts on MFP and just the internet about it. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure or basically how many calories you burn on an average day including working out. This isn't exact science, of course, but it's a good starting point. If after a few weeks you aren't getting the results you want, make minor adjustments until you find something that works for you, but I don't think you should continue eating 900-1000 calories a day, especially working out as much as you say you are.

that is why I said that she needs to net AT LEAST 1200 calories a day ...

so you understand that if she burned 500 through exercise that she would eat 1700 - 500 burned = 1200 net calories...right?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »

Your working out twice a day, with weights, 5 days a week, so 10 weight training workouts...and at just 900-1000 calories? This is dangerous...

I load carbs up in the meal before weight traiing, drink a carb drink during the workout, and slam carbs after the workout.

No..No one needs carbs. Sorry, not true. You had me with everything until you started with DANGER posts...

You don't think someone eating 900-1000 calories a day and exercising as much as her is dangerous? Also, why don't you cut out all carbs if you don't need them?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm trying to make sure I do at least 30 mins of strength and core a day along with 30 min cardio. Would this be something you'd say is a good routine?

It's OK. I would do an actual strength routine and not worry about isolated core workouts daily. Maybe twice a week.

You'll notice a lot of people on here with nice midsections don't do a ton of isolated ab work.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Becky_W25
    Options

It's OK. I would do an actual strength routine and not worry about isolated core workouts daily. Maybe twice a week.

You'll notice a lot of people on here with nice midsections don't do a ton of isolated ab work.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Thanks for your advice!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Becky,

A few things. First, let me tell you a little about me so you will know that I know what I am talking about. I am 34, currently 110 lbs, a coach with Beachbody and fitness fanatic. However, 6 years ago I was 170 lbs and couldn't run to the end of the block.

Here are my thoughts, take them for what they are worth.

The most important thing I have to say is that if you aren't eating ENOUGH you will NOT lose weight. Your body will go in to starvation mode and hold on to any carbs/calories you put in to your body. You will retain not lose. 900/1000 calories a day? That is not enough. Honestly, I never recommend anything less that 1200.

Next, a low carb diet coupled with exercise is surely the quickest way to lose weight. You also need to think about if that is going to be easy for you to maintain and not yo-yo. Like in the beginning of my weight loss journey I would go low carb and do really well for a while, but then my self control would weaken and my hunger would get the best of me and I would go "off the rails" for a couple of weeks (if not more) and gain a bunch of weight back. Trying to find balance in your diet is KEY. It is also better to eat your carbs earlier in the day and try to keep your dinners to just veggies and protein.

I also found that in the beginning I always trusted the calorie calculators on the machines at the gym to tell me how many calories I was burning and some of my eating was based on that. It wasn't for a couple of years that I realized the machines can WAY overestimate, and invested in a heart rate monitor to track my calorie burn. Polar has some cheaper ones that work GREAT.

I hope this helps.

Erin
    A beach body coach and starvation mode all in one post. Sorry but you're wrong.

Hey everyone!

I have to admit, the personal trainer that told me to eat 25g only told me this on Wednesday and it's been playing on my mind a bit because i've always though it's healthier to eat around 100g :/ it got me really confused, hence why I asked what other people do actually manage the 25g intake - because I couldn't think of any way around it without passing out.

In terms of the 900-1000 daily calorie intake; i'm definitely not doing it as a starvation diet because I want to create a more healthy lifestyle for myself and make this a permanent lifestyle change rather than a quick fix you know? At the moment i'm consuming 900-1000 (over the past week) without really realising. A lot of fruits and healthy veg goes in to my day as well...but since being on this site i've realised what i'm actually consuming may not be the right amount. So in a way, it's really good that i've started counting my calories because I didn't realise I was so low if i'm honest.

MFP says I should be losing around 2lbs a week with my activity. I'm 5'2 and pear shaped.

Thanks for your guidance and advice everyone, I really do appreciate. Especially pointing out that this guy was being silly about 25g carbs. I really appreciate your help.

I love how people say "you need to at least 1200 calories a day" this is not a one size fits all number. Most people generally eat too little when trying to lose weight. If you are working out that much you do need to eat a lot more calories, even to lose weight. You need to figure out your TDEE and create a deficit from there to lose weight. You need more calories than you think and you will still lose weight. When I first attempted to lose weight I fell for the 1200 calorie a day BS and ended up soo extremely exhausted and just drained. It took me a while to figure out that I wasn't eating enough to sustain myself during and after my workouts, which took away from what I could do during my workouts as well. Also, carbs are not your enemy. Get your carbs from veggies, fruits, rice, oats, quinoa, sweet potatoes, etc..complex carbohydrates. NOT candy, cakes, donuts, etc.

If you don't know what your TDEE or BMR is there are lots of posts on MFP and just the internet about it. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure or basically how many calories you burn on an average day including working out. This isn't exact science, of course, but it's a good starting point. If after a few weeks you aren't getting the results you want, make minor adjustments until you find something that works for you, but I don't think you should continue eating 900-1000 calories a day, especially working out as much as you say you are.

It actually is science. And math.

Yes...but it is an estimate of the number of calories someone burns. If I put my activity level as moderate, it is estimating the number of calories I am burning based on my weight, height, etc. It is not EXACT, which is what I meant when I said "not exact science"...meaning it involves a certain amount of guessing. I didn't mean it didn't involve science or math..

It will never be 100% exact but it's your job to mitigate the margin of error by eliminating as many variables as possible, having consistency and being able to properly analyze the trends. The problem is many people can't do that. At the end of the day it is straight math and science. No other way around that.

Again, not arguing that its not science or math. Why are you arguing with me about this? I'm simply telling the OP that using the online calculators won't give you an exact number, but its a good starting point. I never said these numbers weren't based off of science or math.

ummm you were the one who started the whole argument thing when you nit picked my post and did not comprehend the whole thing..

the thread was moving along fine until that point...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    LOL, it's all calories in = calories out, she doesn't lose weight for three weeks so she should eat more? Simple math, yeah right. Must be some serious discontinuities and gradient changes in those equations.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Is that 25 gms of carb per meal or for the entire day? You need to confirm that with your source.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - do you use a food scale to weight all solid foods?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    DAM5412 wrote: »

So hypoglycemia is perfectly ok?
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Becky,

A few things. First, let me tell you a little about me so you will know that I know what I am talking about. I am 34, currently 110 lbs, a coach with Beachbody and fitness fanatic. However, 6 years ago I was 170 lbs and couldn't run to the end of the block.

Here are my thoughts, take them for what they are worth.

The most important thing I have to say is that if you aren't eating ENOUGH you will NOT lose weight. Your body will go in to starvation mode and hold on to any carbs/calories you put in to your body. You will retain not lose. 900/1000 calories a day? That is not enough. Honestly, I never recommend anything less that 1200.

Next, a low carb diet coupled with exercise is surely the quickest way to lose weight. You also need to think about if that is going to be easy for you to maintain and not yo-yo. Like in the beginning of my weight loss journey I would go low carb and do really well for a while, but then my self control would weaken and my hunger would get the best of me and I would go "off the rails" for a couple of weeks (if not more) and gain a bunch of weight back. Trying to find balance in your diet is KEY. It is also better to eat your carbs earlier in the day and try to keep your dinners to just veggies and protein.

I also found that in the beginning I always trusted the calorie calculators on the machines at the gym to tell me how many calories I was burning and some of my eating was based on that. It wasn't for a couple of years that I realized the machines can WAY overestimate, and invested in a heart rate monitor to track my calorie burn. Polar has some cheaper ones that work GREAT.

I hope this helps.

Erin
    A beach body coach and starvation mode all in one post. Sorry but you're wrong.

Hey everyone!

It actually is science. And math.

Yes...but it is an estimate of the number of calories someone burns. If I put my activity level as moderate, it is estimating the number of calories I am burning based on my weight, height, etc. It is not EXACT, which is what I meant when I said "not exact science"...meaning it involves a certain amount of guessing. I didn't mean it didn't involve science or math..

It will never be 100% exact but it's your job to mitigate the margin of error by eliminating as many variables as possible, having consistency and being able to properly analyze the trends. The problem is many people can't do that. At the end of the day it is straight math and science. No other way around that.

Again, not arguing that its not science or math. Why are you arguing with me about this? I'm simply telling the OP that using the online calculators won't give you an exact number, but its a good starting point. I never said these numbers weren't based off of science or math.

ummm you were the one who started the whole argument thing when you nit picked my post and did not comprehend the whole thing..

the thread was moving along fine until that point...

I commented on ONE part of your post. Telling someone to eat 1200 calories is ridiculous. Calories are based on weight, height, activity level, etc. Not a generic number. That is the only thing I said about your post. He was referring my comment about TDEE, which has nothing to do with your post at all...soo...your point is?

once again, I said net AT LEAST 1200...

so if you burn 500 you eat 1700 - 500 = 1200 net ...