Something I can't get my head round.

Options
124»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Lizadizzle wrote: »
    It all sounds more to me like an excuse of "see i am overweight but not from eating to much"

Screw that lol, I hereby proclaim that I am a tub of lard because I ate wayyyy too much crap for like ten years. *plants fat kid flag* But I hope I learn through this process how to portion better so that at some point I can eat tiny bits of crap... because it's so tasty. :cry: For now, I'll "suffer" through the semi-tasty better for you stuffs. :smiley:

dieting does not have to equal self torture..

and what do you define as "crap"?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this thread today. I work a 16 hour shift on a Sunday so I have to take a whole days food to work with me. I had oatmeal with almond milk and honey for breakfast, salad with ham eggs and olives for lunch and I have soup with bread for dinner. I've had wasabi peanuts and an Apple for snacks and I've only logged 1108 for the day. In theory I don't need to eat any more than that but I'll probably have some yoghurt and a square of chocolate. From this I can see that its do-able but I know my portions would of been much bigger if I was at home and didn't have to fit it all into Tupperware containers!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not a day goes by without me reading words to the like of ' I struggle to reach my calorie goal' or ' yeah when I used to struggle to reach 1200 calories I would just have a tablespoon of peanut butter'. How can anyone ever ( especially people who use this particular forum) struggle to get to 1200 on a daily basis?!?!?! What am I missing? I'm not picking on people here, genuinely intrigued if there is something I don't know.

I've spent the past year working on eating more. Now I'm finally at a healthy intake. It was pretty difficult for me to get there though. I've never been a big eater - I don't eat emotionally, or binge, or eat a whole bag of chips. I got fat because I drank too much soda. Too much (or even enough) food was a foreign concept to me. I still tell myself "I'm going to eat IT ALL today" and I wind up like 20 calories over my goal.
    It all sounds more to me like an excuse of "see i am overweight but not from eating to much"

Screw that lol, I hereby proclaim that I am a tub of lard because I ate wayyyy too much crap for like ten years. *plants fat kid flag* But I hope I learn through this process how to portion better so that at some point I can eat tiny bits of crap... because it's so tasty. :cry: For now, I'll "suffer" through the semi-tasty better for you stuffs. :smiley:

i said " it sounds to me"

I just dont see the use of posting here on the forum when i dont reach my calorie allowance.
    And again...to mE it sounds if you dont use your brains your self to think...oh wait lets use salad dressing tonight ( 170 calories a 28 gr) to reach my calorie allowance...

This is my opinion..

To say it very unfriendly it sounds dumb to me.... ( not saying a person is dumb btw...)

I just read a post like that and learned to close the post again...... Hope i can stick to that. Sometimes i just want to say THAN EAT SOMETHINGGGGGG!!!!!!

I was one of those. I was full. So eating a scoop of peanut butter wasn't an option, unless I wanted to make myself sick (never mind the fact that peanut butter is gross). So you can make all the assumptions you want - but if you've never been there, maybe you should keep those assumptions to yourself. I worked very hard to get to a healthy intake level and having someone dismiss that particular struggle is fairly insulting. I knew I wasn't eating enough and I obviously wasn't fixing it on my own - so yeah, I asked for help for ways to get more calories in without adding excess food that I wouldn't be able to physically eat.

PS, I don't like salad dressing.

So you made a post about "your problem"?

Or did it solve in time or you looked for a solution?

That's is what i mean. I had my days that i was "full" But dont make posts about it. I just planned the next day different. and that dont have to be particular eating salad dressing. Baking your egg in olive oil instead of a tsp of butter is almost 100 calories difference. Eating a 1" by 1" cube of cheese a handfull of nuts ....dang even 10 crisps will add the calories very quick.

What i mean is can people think of that them self. Can't they come up with ideas to change that? That is what i mean.
    That is what i cant get my head around. When i face a "problem" big one, smaller ones i try to think of a solution myself first. Now feeling full or being full is a luxury problem to me when you are on a diet. Most people feel hungry when they eat less than they did before. So looking at your diary/menu and your intake and figure out how can i make it more is not so hard.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Basically they're kidding themselves...they've gone from overweight, so clearly over eating, to not being able to stomach 1200, yeah right.

ditto.

i can eat 1200 in 5 minutes if left to my own devices (which is why I am, where I am LOL)

i think the reason behind people saying that is 1 of 2 things.

1) (most likely, in my mind) they are not logging accurately. The oils or fats you use to cook with, the little bites off a kids plate or when walking through the kitchen, not using a food scale, under estimating food quantities, skipping logging items (deliberately or inadvertently), using inaccurate database entries, etc - many are eating more than they THINK they are or;

2) going from one extreme to another. cutting out whole blocks of food, living on a strict, limited diet. which sounds dreadful and likely, isn't sustainable for most people.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Not a day goes by without me reading words to the like of ' I struggle to reach my calorie goal' or ' yeah when I used to struggle to reach 1200 calories I would just have a tablespoon of peanut butter'. How can anyone ever ( especially people who use this particular forum) struggle to get to 1200 on a daily basis?!?!?! What am I missing? I'm not picking on people here, genuinely intrigued if there is something I don't know.

I've spent the past year working on eating more. Now I'm finally at a healthy intake. It was pretty difficult for me to get there though. I've never been a big eater - I don't eat emotionally, or binge, or eat a whole bag of chips. I got fat because I drank too much soda. Too much (or even enough) food was a foreign concept to me. I still tell myself "I'm going to eat IT ALL today" and I wind up like 20 calories over my goal.

I just dont see the use of posting here on the forum when i dont reach my calorie allowance.
    And again...to mE it sounds if you dont use your brains your self to think...oh wait lets use salad dressing tonight ( 170 calories a 28 gr) to reach my calorie allowance...

This is my opinion..

To say it very unfriendly it sounds dumb to me.... ( not saying a person is dumb btw...)

I just read a post like that and learned to close the post again...... Hope i can stick to that. Sometimes i just want to say THAN EAT SOMETHINGGGGGG!!!!!!

I was one of those. I was full. So eating a scoop of peanut butter wasn't an option, unless I wanted to make myself sick (never mind the fact that peanut butter is gross). So you can make all the assumptions you want - but if you've never been there, maybe you should keep those assumptions to yourself. I worked very hard to get to a healthy intake level and having someone dismiss that particular struggle is fairly insulting. I knew I wasn't eating enough and I obviously wasn't fixing it on my own - so yeah, I asked for help for ways to get more calories in without adding excess food that I wouldn't be able to physically eat.

That's is what i mean. I had my days that i was "full" But dont make posts about it. I just planned the next day different. and that dont have to be particular eating salad dressing. Baking your egg in olive oil instead of a tsp of butter is almost 100 calories difference. Eating a 1" by 1" cube of cheese a handfull of nuts ....dang even 10 crisps will add the calories very quick.

What i mean is can people think of that them self. Can't they come up with ideas to change that? That is what i mean.
    That is what i cant get my head around. When i face a "problem" big one, smaller ones i try to think of a solution myself first. Now feeling full or being full is a luxury problem to me when you are on a diet. Most people feel hungry when they eat less than they did before. So looking at your diary/menu and your intake and figure out how can i make it more is not so hard.

You've articulated my perception 100%. There are so many of those threads, I just have to assume the search function doesn't work for some...

To me, those posts read like the 100lb women who whine that they're fat so people will rush in and give them all sorts of compliments. It's attention seeking.

If anyone is having a hard time eating enough calories, my diary is open. Take a gander. Lots of calories there.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

This is my opinion..

You've articulated my perception 100%. There are so many of those threads, I just have to assume the search function doesn't work for some...

To me, those posts read like the 100lb women who whine that they're fat so people will rush in and give them all sorts of compliments. It's attention seeking.

If anyone is having a hard time eating enough calories, my diary is open. Take a gander. Lots of calories there.

mine too. and junk food and fast food and crap foods.

and im still losing weight! LOL!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

This is my opinion..

I sure did. I asked for help thinking of ideas/ways to incorporate more calories into my day, because I was always under 1200. I had to moderate my carbs because of insulin resistance and I was trying to find a balance between eating enough food, my fullness, my food texture issues, and my carb intake.

I don't see a single thing wrong with people asking for help - that's how you learn.

I'm really glad you haven't had the issue - because not only does it suck, but you get summarily dismissed every time you mention it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    laropmet wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm one of those fat people that eat nothing but chicken salads all day, but you better believe you won't see me on here going "Oh no I can't make my diet target" I'm more likely to be saying "Ooooh I've got room for a kitkat."

SERIOUSLY!!!

Because of my difficult day today, here I am at the end of the day with close to 600 calories left.

Therefore, I am going to eat, and thoroughly enjoy for the first time in a month or so, 2 servings of Thin Mints. Macros be danged.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

This is my opinion..

I sure did. I asked for help thinking of ideas/ways to incorporate more calories into my day, because I was always under 1200. I had to moderate my carbs because of insulin resistance and I was trying to find a balance between eating enough food, my fullness, my food texture issues, and my carb intake.

I don't see a single thing wrong with people asking for help - that's how you learn.

I'm really glad you haven't had the issue - because not only does it suck, but you get summarily dismissed every time you mention it.

Unless I missed it, it seems to me you left out very important background information of "carb monitoring" that you had to do. This means you likely fell into the category of people who chucked out entire food groups, only perhaps you had a medical reason to do so