is drinking water immediately after food really bad

Options

Replies

• SheBelieved22
    SheBelieved22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My mom was actually just telling me that her nutritionist told her this!! No water before or after meals because it stretches your stomach and it dilutes the nutrients of the foods.
    I just smiled and nodded but it sounds like complete BS.
    I will continue to drink water before, druing and after meals. :)
    But this is interesting to read here
  • dreamgenie84003
    dreamgenie84003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had a weight loss surgery, they told me not to drink water within 30 minutes of eating because it speeds up the passage if food and the body doesn't have time to properly digest it. Idk if this applies to people with normal digestive tracts.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My mom was actually just telling me that her nutritionist told her this!! No water before or after meals because it stretches your stomach and it dilutes the nutrients of the foods.

Your mom's mistake was seeing a nutritionist, not a registered dietician. :<
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

My Mum told me that Santa Claus was real as well. That turned out to be a con to get a glass of Brandy and a Mince pie on Christmas Eve ;-)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

My Mum told me that Santa Claus was real as well. That turned out to be a con to get a glass of Brandy and a Mince pie on Christmas Eve ;-)

Wait....what???? What???!!!!!

*curls into a fetal position and cries*

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Wait....what???? What???!!!!!

*curls into a fetal position and cries*

Here, have some brandy.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

:cry: You were supposed to warn us of spoilers.
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This is hands down the dumbest question I have ever seen on MFP.

:huh:

There is no such thing as a dumb question. If you never ever ask, you'll never, ever know!!
    i am with you on that.. Thanks..plus i still agree with many cause there are MORE people saying "drinking anytime doesnt matter. "

More than the question...i think Thats a dumb reply that just says "whattt" then giving a scientific or simpler reply "how it works." And how "water wouldnt effect the stomach acid" or "why not effect the pH level"

None gave a scientific reply.. our stomach does release acids to burn our food right.. so there are chances that water dilutes the acid released to burn food.

there have been discussions about it around for eg : http://www.paleohacks.com/digestion/does-drinking-water-right-after-a-meal-cause-dilution-of-stomach-acid-13277

Am sure we have smarter people here...than people saying "whattt"

• LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You haven't given a scientific reply either.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    None gave a scientific reply.. our stomach does release acids to burn our food right.. so there are chances that water dilutes the acid released to burn food.

there have been discussions about it around for eg : http://www.paleohacks.com/digestion/does-drinking-water-right-after-a-meal-cause-dilution-of-stomach-acid-13277

Am sure we have smarter people here...than people saying "whattt"

If you're bent on believing that you shouldn't drink water with your meals, then knock yourself out! Really. This is getting redundant.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did a google search. There's a "nice" article on food babe's blog about this. Knock yourself out if you want to hear woo about not drinking it. Didn't someone already post something from the Mayo clinic for you?

Here it is, again.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/digestion/faq-20058348

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    Didn't someone already post something from the Mayo clinic for you?

Yes Peachy, that was me. But if some random yoga dude's advice is going to be taken as equal 'proof' over that of a knowledgeable physician from the world's most prestigious medical research centre, then there's not much more we can do.
  • nadenchris
    nadenchris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    I have never heard that and I spend a lot of time on the internet reading random crap. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's water. You are like 50% water.

More like 75% water but good point. No one should ever be worried about drinking water...at any point.

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Its said that having water immediate after you had your lunch or dinner is bad.. i dont get a complete feeling till i drink water after my food.. a friend said just gargle with water..but that doesnt help. Is drinking water post food real bad for lose weight or can i continue.

Drinking water after every meal is great for cavity prevention, particularly when you do not have access to a tooth brush.

@Minimalistshoeaddict Go Wild! Transplanted Minnesotan in St. Louis - feel bad for the locals here but then again, the Vikings...

So yeah, water is vitally important - really the only known issue with water is drinking too much of it can lead to death - but we're talking 3Ls of water minimum in one sitting. Water is essential in our daily life - definitely more so than let's say, Coca Cola et al. Drink up!!!
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I did a google search. There's a "nice" article on food babe's blog about this. Knock yourself out if you want to hear woo about not drinking it. Didn't someone already post something from the Mayo clinic for you?

Here it is, again.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/digestion/faq-20058348

Great post @mamapeach910 - reading this now! I love the first paragraph...

"There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal actually aids digestion."

Aids in digestion... :smiley:
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback and help
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Its said that having water immediate after you had your lunch or dinner is bad.. i dont get a complete feeling till i drink water after my food.. a friend said just gargle with water..but that doesnt help. Is drinking water post food real bad for lose weight or can i continue.

LOL. Who comes up with this nonsense?

• nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Many of my friends who are into fitness.. also read online where it says it dilutes your digestive juices.

Uh, do they realize that food contains a lot of water? Sounds like pseudoscience.

Many people like to believe pseudoscience more than real science. My grandmother was one (I loved her very dearly but this was a flaw of hers) and I could not convince her not to believe everything the Pat Robinson person on TV told her.