What Are Some Things You Wish You Had Known Before You Started?

Options

Replies

• Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A good scale that displays grams, a calculator, and a brain smart enough to use both.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That people outside of MFP really just DO NOT GET IT
    Constantly trying to explain to friends or family how this really works. As in calorie counting, perseverance, commitment, support.
    Not stupid fad diets, pills, crash diets or starving themselves.
    It's like you join MFP, start reading the forums and absorbing all of info, myth busting and advice and suddenly it just makes sense. It becomes easy to know how to do it, but they can only find out for themselves.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That you can eat chocolate, cake, ice cream, biscuits, donuts, etc and still lose weight. When I first started i automatically thought I wouldn't be able to eat any of them. Now I set aside c. 500 calories a day for evening munchies!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    How easy it actually was

Well, this is what I was going to type, so I'll just quote you.

• happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    To keep trying those clothes that are only just too small. Worst thing was when I found the one size two small jeans are now miles too big in the space of 3 months.

Absolutely. I have a "pants that are close to size" drawer and I go thru it twice a week. If I wait too long I miss something- I Have gone thru 3 pairs of white pants already. I have a great closet to shop from. (Unfortunately).
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    I've basically been eating nothing but candy since Christmas and am maintaining a 15 pound weight loss.

I love you.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    That there is no miracle weight loss product.
    That fad diets don't work
    That I don't have to be hungry to lose weight
    That I don't have to restrict calories severely to lose weight
    That lifting heavy things up and down is good for me

I yo yo dieted for years until I found this site now I can choose to lose or to maintain because I have the tools to do either.

102vwkp2r02h.png
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    1) Wish I had done this many years earlier. Now I'm 58 (well tomorrow) and I sure wish I had done it 20 years ago :(
    2) Wish I learned that new buying clothes would cost me so much money!
    3) Wish I wouldn't have lost my bum!
    4) Wish I had learned how to use a kitchen scale by gram (preferably) or ounce. NO CUPS.
    5) Wish I would have known how easily I can feel cold all the time (no fat to keep me warm LOL).
    6) Wish I had started with MFP sooner.
    7) Stay with it!

GOOD LUCK ALL.
    Happy birthday, DebzNuDa!

Thank you so much :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Portion control is the key to success.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That regular exercise would not only help in weight loss, but genuinely makes you feel better physically and mentally.

You hear this all the time, but somehow I thought it was a cliché. It isn't.
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how much easier it was when I was younger. (I lost 45 lbs about 10 years ago...easily. Three kids and 10 years later and it's MUCH harder. I track closer and do way more exercise and loose much slower).
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That ur suppose to eat at a deficit to lose weight
    That u dont only have to eat fruits and veggies
    That theres a point where ur suppose to maintain weight
    That u dont have to starve and be miserable to lose weight
    That it does'nt matter where ur cals come from as long as ur in a deficit thats *key*
    That you dont need to exercise to lose weight
    That weight loss progress is slower than ya thought
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    that PATIENCE really is a virtue! Also, I learned to take what people tell me with a grain of salt. Also, and this is my personal opinion, some women will try to sabotage you because they are jealous and they don't want competition. Just remember, eat in a calorie deficit, include exercise if you want to, but if you don't, you will still lose as long as you are eating less, and never ever give up!
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Take before and during pics because the scale doesn't always tell the truth:)
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat 5 meals a day or start eating breakfast if you never already did, your metabolism will not break, it's more important to eat the right amout of calories not the timings.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Everyone has hit the highlights. The other big lesson I learned that not all calories are created equal. I was eating under my calorie limits, but once I started adding a moderate cardio regime, I found myself always drained and lacking energy. Or I would eat junk, though staying under calorie counts, I would wonder why I would be hungry later on. Changing up my food intake and making better choices fueled my body better and kept me more satiated throughout the day. (Whole grain bread vs white, protiens vs sugars, etc)

Most importantly, just have patience. Everyone will hit a plateu along the way. Just push through it, maybe change up your routine. Just keep moving. When you are really losing motivation, come here for support and or advice. Chances are there are hundreds if not thousands of members who have gone through the same circumstances as you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I wish I had saved money to buy a new summer wardrobe. Literally not one thing fits.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known how beneficial strength training would be. And that no one would particularly care that I was in that section of the gym.

I only started in November, when I started MFP.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wish I had saved money to buy a new summer wardrobe. Literally not one thing fits.

My sister loves it, because she gets all my old clothes. While I'm left with next to nothing.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    ..that the after-Easter sales of Cadberry Eggs would no longer be fun!