What Are Some Things You Wish You Had Known Before You Started?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    That you're stuck with your joints for life, so take care of them. Stay away from impact activities, unless you know for sure you can do them safely. I.e. you already have a history of doing that activity and maybe had some related coaching in the past; you were good at that activity (had the biomechanics for it); and you are not overweight.

I would have saved myself so much pain, time, money, and aggravation if I'd played it safe and didn't try to be a hero. I wouldn't be dealing with the limitations I've got now.
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What tips do people have to reach your daily calorie goal when you are flat broke and waiting a couple days until pay day and have no groceries in the house? So far my answer is mooch off some friends
  • HannahZH
    HannahZH Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't tell people at working you're on a "diet"
    Oh lord, they all just keep telling me off, when really all I want to do is better myself..
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Realistic expectations; it takes longer than you expect to lose weight, and to not get discouraged if you don't see immediate results.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Most of what has already been posted!

Personally, though? I wish I had known how well intermittent fasting would work out for me in terms of weight loss - I'd only heard about 5:2 before, but daily fasting fits seamlessly into my lifestyle and I've lost more weight in the month since starting than I did in the previous year.
    But also I wish I had known that there is no one "right" beyond CICO, I wasted too much time finding my place food wise. If it fits your lifestyle and gives you the results you're after then go with it.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Realistic expectations; it takes longer than you expect to lose weight, and to not get discouraged if you don't see immediate results.

^^this^^^
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've learned the the people here who I thought were incredibly mean years ago were 100% correct. I am not a special snowflake. Eat less, move more and pick up something heavy often.