Protein?

Options

Replies

• misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I had no idea I would hit a nerve with a random guy over a question about protein lol.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You know those rotisserie chickens you can buy in grocery stores pre-cooked?
    They are your friend.

My protein problem is that I rarely plan for protein, which makes it really easy to blow all my calories on carbs/fat, which means I have the same issue as you - I'm constantly hungry.

Cheese strings, home-made jerky, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, etc are really helpful. I buy the chicken mostly when I travel for work because my days end up never going quite how I plan, so it's easy to add to meals. That being said, I literally will just grab a piece of chicken out of the fridge while I'm doing stuff and nom. Or I'll do up a bowl of chicken with bacon and cheese and a smidge of ranch dressing. Delicious, delicious protein.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    You know those rotisserie chickens you can buy in grocery stores pre-cooked?
    They are your friend.

My protein problem is that I rarely plan for protein, which makes it really easy to blow all my calories on carbs/fat, which means I have the same issue as you - I'm constantly hungry.

Cheese strings, home-made jerky, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, etc are really helpful. I buy the chicken mostly when I travel for work because my days end up never going quite how I plan, so it's easy to add to meals. That being said, I literally will just grab a piece of chicken out of the fridge while I'm doing stuff and nom. Or I'll do up a bowl of chicken with bacon and cheese and a smidge of ranch dressing. Delicious, delicious protein.

Omg you explained it perfectly.. I always have a question in my head & have a hard time explaining what I'm trying to get at.. It's so easy for me to eat carbs & fats but sometimes I don't eat a lot of protein or fiber & I'm left super hungry. Thank you for the food suggestions :)

• misssmadalyn
    Options
    On good days I get 70-90 of protein but my hungry days I think I get 40 i dont know i don't check these numbers religiously.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Make some protein pancakes, keep in fridge, smear peanut butter, jam, butter or whatever you want on them, roll em up, eat cold. Will tide you over & they're tasty.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    Since you don't get what i am telling you, I'll tell you clearly.

If you're not having any issues, what difference does it make about your protein intake? Are you reaching your goals? Are you getting closer? If you are, don't worry about your protein intake, you're fine. Protein is over rated. You said protein is "filling" you do realize you can probably eat 6lbs of broccoli to get the same amount of calories as some protein.

You also said, "I'd say 70-90 a day but I am burning an average of 700 calories when I work out" What difference does it make if you eat your calories back? It makes no difference. The problem is you're more than likely not eating your calories back how you're supposed to. You're not following direction.

If there is no "NEED" to increase protein, then don't do it. You're just focusing on more things that aren't important. The more things you focus on, the more parts you add to goals, the more likely you will fail. Keep it simple...
    give it a break. she just wants quick protein ideas.

No, she said she's having a "hard time" with protein? There is no "need" to have a hard time, she's focusing on things that aren't too important at this point.

Lol maybe she wants to get stronger. It's not like she's already consuming an excessive amount of protein...

How can your post count be so high and yet your advice be so bad? It baffles me. Shouldn't you be in some other thread arguing that sugar is addictive?

It's bad advice to tell people to focus on the things that are important, to avoid adding unnecessary complexity to their plan so they can be successful? I didn't know.

I am explaining what it takes to be successful, since my advice is so bad, I wouldn't have lost 150lbs... I know what works and what doesn't.

Obviously not everyone on MFP is trying to lose hundreds of pounds...you're explaining (in a very condescending manner) what it took for you to successfully reach your goal, not what it takes for everyone else to reach theirs. Your goal isn't the only one in the world, bro.

It's not about "goals" it's about success regardless of goals. The more unnecessary parts you add, the more likely it will fail. If she's reaching her goals just fine, then there is no need to add/subtract things.

What is easier for her, to keep doing what she's doing assuming she's getting results, or to add concern/worry about protein intake?(what she is doing right now) It just adds to the stress, there is no need.

Everyone has goals. Life is full of goals. Are you for real? :unamused:

Maybe other people don't need their plans to be as simple as you do in order to succeed.

Success is a process, a goal is a means. It's the end. To reach a goal you have to be "successful" without the successful part you won't reach the goal. Sure you can make things complex and be successful, but it's more of a struggle and more likely to fail.

Okay bye bye protein man
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

If you're not having any issues, what difference does it make about your protein intake? Are you reaching your goals? Are you getting closer? If you are, don't worry about your protein intake, you're fine. Protein is over rated. You said protein is "filling" you do realize you can probably eat 6lbs of broccoli to get the same amount of calories as some protein.

You also said, "I'd say 70-90 a day but I am burning an average of 700 calories when I work out" What difference does it make if you eat your calories back? It makes no difference. The problem is you're more than likely not eating your calories back how you're supposed to. You're not following direction.

If there is no "NEED" to increase protein, then don't do it. You're just focusing on more things that aren't important. The more things you focus on, the more parts you add to goals, the more likely you will fail. Keep it simple...

No, she said she's having a "hard time" with protein? There is no "need" to have a hard time, she's focusing on things that aren't too important at this point.

Lol maybe she wants to get stronger. It's not like she's already consuming an excessive amount of protein...

How can your post count be so high and yet your advice be so bad? It baffles me. Shouldn't you be in some other thread arguing that sugar is addictive?

It's bad advice to tell people to focus on the things that are important, to avoid adding unnecessary complexity to their plan so they can be successful? I didn't know.

I am explaining what it takes to be successful, since my advice is so bad, I wouldn't have lost 150lbs... I know what works and what doesn't.

Obviously not everyone on MFP is trying to lose hundreds of pounds...you're explaining (in a very condescending manner) what it took for you to successfully reach your goal, not what it takes for everyone else to reach theirs. Your goal isn't the only one in the world, bro.

It's not about "goals" it's about success regardless of goals. The more unnecessary parts you add, the more likely it will fail. If she's reaching her goals just fine, then there is no need to add/subtract things.

What is easier for her, to keep doing what she's doing assuming she's getting results, or to add concern/worry about protein intake?(what she is doing right now) It just adds to the stress, there is no need.

Everyone has goals. Life is full of goals. Are you for real? :unamused:

Maybe other people don't need their plans to be as simple as you do in order to succeed.

Success is a process, a goal is a means. It's the end. To reach a goal you have to be "successful" without the successful part you won't reach the goal. Sure you can make things complex and be successful, but it's more of a struggle and more likely to fail.

057.png
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    Make some protein pancakes, keep in fridge, smear peanut butter, jam, butter or whatever you want on them, roll em up, eat cold. Will tide you over & they're tasty.
    Ohh sounds good!!
  • misssmadalyn
    Options

You can really excuse yourself off of this thread.. Why are you on my post arguing with me.. Actually you're not even arguing with me youre arguing with everyone like a dumbass. If you were so wise you would stop trying to "prove everyone wrong" & move the *kitten* on. No where in this thread have I insulted your so called "intelligence". I have lost 50 pounds I'm just looking for extra ways to stay full, no I'm not a nutritionist so obviously I don't know everything. All you had to say was a simple "I think your getting enough protein" & maybe suggest something else, I truly feel bad for you that you feel the need to become a keyboard warrior. lol have a nice rest of your night sir. & thank you everyone who gave me GREAT RELEVANT advice I was looking for :)

You're missing the point, but it's okay. There are some people who end up eating MORE when they eat protein. Appears you're trying to major in minor things. I seen this type of behavior time and time again with people, they come here, make a few posts... then just vanish, they give up and quit. The thing that triggered my discussion is this, "im having a hard time with protein." WHen people are having difficulty, they usually don't end up successful in the long run.

Also Are you aware that IGF-1 levels increases your risk for cancer?
    http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/04.22/igf1.story.html

You know how to increase IGF-1 levels? Animal sources of protein.
    https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/Animal_protein_IGF-1_colon_cancer.aspx

As you said, "it's healthy" good luck... was just trying to help you be more successful.

Thank you, but no. You'll be sorry when I lose 20 more pounds sitting in my mansion with my husband James Franco drinking my protein shakes.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ohh sounds good!!

love protein pancakes.. vanilla whey, eggs, and a little cinnamon. damn good stuff
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I understand perfectly why you want more protein.

I have learned that including something protein-rich also helps me stay satiated. Just today (Sunday), I boiled and peeled a bunch of eggs and left them in the fridge - good snack or lunch-boost for me, hubby and 17 yr old son for the week. If I don't have meat or fish in my lunch, I toss on some cottage cheese. I also mix a wee bit of fruit with lots of plain Greek yogurt. These are my "basics". As well, I also sometimes make some high-protein squares/cakey baked goods (based on recipes from MFP) that have lots of oatmeal, whey powder, hemp & chia seeds. I find that a very small serving makes for a satisfying snack that keeps me happy until my next meal.

I hope that this and the other sincere posts help keep to your calorie limit.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    I understand perfectly why you want more protein.

I have learned that including something protein-rich also helps me stay satiated. Just today (Sunday), I boiled and peeled a bunch of eggs and left them in the fridge - good snack or lunch-boost for me, hubby and 17 yr old son for the week. If I don't have meat or fish in my lunch, I toss on some cottage cheese. I also mix a wee bit of fruit with lots of plain Greek yogurt. These are my "basics". As well, I also sometimes make some high-protein squares/cakey baked goods (based on recipes from MFP) that have lots of oatmeal, whey powder, hemp & chia seeds. I find that a very small serving makes for a satisfying snack that keeps me happy until my next meal.

I hope that this and the other sincere posts help keep to your calorie limit.

Thank you soooo much for not picking apart every word I've said & twisting it into something else lol :). Your advice is awesome! Thank you!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If hunger is the issue, have you considered upping your fat calorie %? The RD setting up my eating plan set mine at 40% specifically to avoid hunger issues while I was learning to eat appropriate portion sizes. I've been doing it for 5 years now. Hunger has rarely been an issue and I've never been healthier. Not saying yours should be that high but some increase might be worth considering.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'll fourth or fifth hard boiled eggs. If I have the time I might do deviled eggs or andalusian eggs, if I had more wiggle room in my fat I'd try the avacado deviled eggs. Other than that, I eat peanut butter for additional protein. I try and make meat on a free day (like Sunday) that will tied me over and portion it out pre-weighed so I can just grab it real quick.
    Like shifterbrainz mentioned, some people get fuller on fats more than protein (you often get fat and protein at the same time though).
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    If hunger is the issue, have you considered upping your fat calorie %? The RD setting up my eating plan set mine at 40% to avoid hunger issues while I was learning to eat appropriate portion sizes. I've been doing it for 5 years now. Hunger has rarely been an issue and I've never been healthier. Not saying yours should be that high but some increase might be worth trying.

Okay! So I have a question, I've always thought of fat as making you gain weight but if you eat good fats it will fill you? Do you have food suggestions that will help? Sorry I know nothing lol!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes for a workout time supplement. Not all are created equal so check user reviews on Amazon or whatever. The best are not by any means the most expensive. I find that I do much better at lifting and have much nicer muscle definition once I started supplementing protein. I think you are on the right track to be paying attention to your protein intake.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I'll fourth or fifth hard boiled eggs. If I have the time I might do deviled eggs or andalusian eggs, if I had more wiggle room in my fat I'd try the avacado deviled eggs. Other than that, I eat peanut butter for additional protein. I try and make meat on a free day (like Sunday) that will tied me over and portion it out pre-weighed so I can just grab it real quick.
    Like shifterbrainz mentioned, some people get fuller on fats more than protein (you often get fat and protein at the same time though).

I would love to be able to just go to the fridge & get some chicken, I'm always on the go during the week my schedule is packed full & I forget to eat sometimes so when I get to work they only have junk food so Ill get the healthiest junk food just to tide me over until I get home. I'm going to make chicken tomorrow night & package it into servings so I can grab it & go!

• misssmadalyn
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I like protein shakes for a workout time supplement. Not all are created equal so check user reviews on Amazon or whatever. The best are not by any means the most expensive. I find that I do much better at lifting and have much nicer muscle definition once I started supplementing protein. I think you are on the right track to be paying attention to your protein intake.

I just try to improve every week & I wasn't sure about this so I wrote this post. I have had a protein shake before & it had a weird after taste is that normal?
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Ohh sounds good!!

love protein pancakes.. vanilla whey, eggs, and a little cinnamon. damn good stuff

Another recipe:
    34.00 g (1 scoop), Trutein Peach Mango Protein OR Trutein Cinnabun Protein
    40.00 g, Maple Groves Sugar Free Pancake & Waffle Mix (there is no sugar, fake or real, in this brand plus the protein is really high vs other brands)
    3.30 oz(s), Fage 0% (gives it a "buttermilk-like" tang)
    1/2 teasp Cream of Tarter (for added fluffiness if you like)
    Dash(es) of cinnamon if you like
    Water to desired consistency

Makes 3-4 nice sized flapjacks, one recipe is 302 kCal, 5g fat (2sat), 21Carb, Fiber 8, Sugars 5, Protein 53.

Yep. 53gm protein. Read it & weep.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Fatswise, use some, but just be moderate: Here's an example from my kitchen. Suppose you are going to make an omelette. You put a teaspoon of olive oil in the skillet; that's good fat and it's not a huge calorie load. You beat a couple eggs and dump them into the skillet, then maybe last time you went shopping you got a bag of 2% shredded cheddar and you take about 1/4 cup of that and spread it over your eggs, you cook the omelette through and now you have had something like 300 calories of wonderful healthy satisfying food, complete with good fats, protein, and calcium.