Protein?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    As to the weird taste, yeah, some shakes are like that. It can be disappointing I know. Seriously go on Amazon and read user reviews so you can see what people say. I personally use EAS Lean 15 whey protein. But most people find their own favorite before too long.
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    As to the weird taste, yeah, some shakes are like that. It can be disappointing I know. Seriously go on Amazon and read user reviews so you can see what people say. I personally use EAS Lean 15 whey protein. But most people find their own favorite before too long.

I was so excited when I got them & when I tasted them I was disgusted lol!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If hunger is the issue, have you considered upping your fat calorie %? The RD setting up my eating plan set mine at 40% to avoid hunger issues while I was learning to eat appropriate portion sizes. I've been doing it for 5 years now. Hunger has rarely been an issue and I've never been healthier. Not saying yours should be that high but some increase might be worth trying.

Okay! So I have a question, I've always thought of fat as making you gain weight but if you eat good fats it will fill you? Do you have food suggestions that will help? Sorry I know nothing lol!

No specific fats. No dramatic change in the way you eat. Just resist the urge to "avoid" fats. Use 2% milk instead of skim; regular sour cream instead of fat free; low fat yogurt instead of no fat; like that. I think why people claim fat makes you fat is it is calorie dense at 9 calories per gram where protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram. Fat adds calories so you want to eat less of the higher fat foods to stay within your calorie goal. For instance I think I saw where 12 oz of whole milk has 220 calories where 12 oz of skim milk has 120. As long as you account for the fat calories in your daily total, and your daily total doesn't make you gain weight, a higher % of fat calories won't make any difference. A higher number of calories will.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    If hunger is the issue, have you considered upping your fat calorie %? The RD setting up my eating plan set mine at 40% to avoid hunger issues while I was learning to eat appropriate portion sizes. I've been doing it for 5 years now. Hunger has rarely been an issue and I've never been healthier. Not saying yours should be that high but some increase might be worth trying.

Okay! So I have a question, I've always thought of fat as making you gain weight but if you eat good fats it will fill you? Do you have food suggestions that will help? Sorry I know nothing lol!

No specific fats. No dramatic change in the way you eat. Just resist the urge to "avoid" fats. Use 2% milk instead of skim; regular sour cream instead of fat free; low fat yogurt instead of no fat; like that. I think why people claim fat makes you fat is it is calorie dense at 9 calories per gram where protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram. Fat adds calories so you want to eat less of the higher fat foods to stay within your calorie goal. For instance I think I saw where 12 oz of whole milk has 220 calories where 12 oz of skim milk has 120. As long as you account for the fat calories in your daily total, and your daily total doesn't make you gain weight, a higher % of fat calories won't make any difference. A higher number of calories will.
    Okay I'm going to get 2% milk then! I love milk I drink sooo much milk but I have skim
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is... not pleasing to me lol. I would get 2% but hubby insists on whole. I don't drink it straight myself, I use it in things (lol, coffee mainly) so okay, fine, whole it is. I am a coffee maniac though. I'm not going to claim that the amount I drink is healthful.... I'm just not going to cut down regardless. bwah hahah!
  • shifterbrainz
    Options

Okay I'm going to get 2% milk then! I love milk I drink sooo much milk but I have skim

Sounds like a plan. Just be sure to account for the extra calories in 2% milk. 12 oz 2% milk has 183 calories, where 12 oz of skim has 120. So to keep from gaining weight, either drink less 2% (8 oz of 2% has 122 calories) or reduce calories elsewhere in your diet. It may be mind-numbing but it really is all about the math. :)
  • misssmadalyn
    Options

Sounds like a plan. Just be sure to account for the extra calories in 2% milk. 12 oz 2% milk has 183 calories, where 12 oz of skim has 120. So to keep from gaining weight, either drink less 2% (8 oz of 2% has 122 calories) or reduce calories elsewhere in your diet. It may be mind-numbing but it really is all about the math. :)
    Yes & if I want to eat more I can increase my workouts
  • dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Consider pre-cooking chicken breast, slice it up and freeze what you don't want to use right away. It's great for salads, sandwiches, and even just to snack on.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I like freeze dried edamame for a super easy protein snack, or PB2 with whole grain crackers.

I also try to add a few grams here and there by choosing whole grains, high protein cereals, etc. Quinoa has quite a bit more protein than rice, and you can use it in pretty much all the same ways. None of these things will add 10 or 20 grams on it's own, but they add up through the day.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My protein go-to is greek yogurt (and sometimes hb eggs), but my new protein "thing" is turkey breast. I get the frozen ones from Honeysuckle White or Butterball, put 2 of them in the crockpot on Sat or Sun, have a family meal that night, and then portion the rest out into 4 oz containers for on-the-go. I googled proteins, and turkey has one of the lower cal:protein ratios out there. I eat it cold after the initial meal as it doesn't microwave well & gets dry, but I like it that way. I keep a couple of the packs in my work fridge along with some tuna cans, and I always have a handy protein snack. Greek yogurt with chia seeds & a smidge of fruit for lunch, and I am further along the path to meeting my protein macro with minimal effort.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    When i struggle to make foods for macros I either use a supplement or just have some sort of take out that'll be closest to what I need to fit :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is my "go to" for quick and convenient protein.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    My mom just made me a bunch of hard boiled eggs this morning to keep in the fridge! I love cottage cheese but I have fat free.. Is that okay?
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What about just good ol milk? I think milk has good protein.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My mom just made me a bunch of hard boiled eggs this morning to keep in the fridge! I love cottage cheese but I have fat free.. Is that okay?

It is okay, just know you'll still need foods with full fats... you said you like cheese though so that should be a good source.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Fat free is okay but the taste is kind of meh. Try Friendship 4% if you can find it. It's only a bit higher calories (still doens't have tons of fat) but it tastes great. Unfortunately it's hard to find Friendship 4% these days so I usually buy 1%.
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »

It is okay, just know you'll still need foods with full fats... you said you like cheese though so that should be a good source.

Okay thanks! I have another question for anyone on here.. Today I am doing good as in I'm not getting hungry.. I've had 36 grams of fat , 97 carbs, & 33 protein but I have had cheese & milk & chicken.. Why is my protein so low but everything else so high?

• shifterbrainz
    edited April 2015
    Options
    chelsy0587 wrote: »

Okay thanks! I have another question for anyone on here.. Today I am doing good as in I'm not getting hungry.. I've had 36 grams of fat , 97 carbs, & 33 protein but I have had cheese & milk & chicken.. Why is my protein so low but everything else so high?

That works out that 38% of your calories from fat, 46% from carb, and 16% from protein. What are you shooting for?