Have you guys seen this?

2»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited April 2015
    Low-glycemic foods have the same calories that high-glycemic foods do: 4/protein, 4/carbs, 9/fats. Low-glycemic foods may have more complex carbs, fiber, protein and fat and may therefore be more satisfying and thus result in less over-eating or food consumption. They're not magic. It just seems like the same nutrition common sense packaged with this name (again).

There was another thread from last weekend (I think) from a member who was debating this on FB with a friend--the friend said all calories were not created equal. The actual study on glycemic index the to which the friend was referring was written about 5 years ago. There have been other studies since that contradicted its main points about all calories not being created equal (I put a few links in my post, as did others).

Seems like it's a slow news day for CBS if they're resorting to this.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Laura732 wrote: »
    However, fuel-mix is important too. Have you ever noticed that you feel different on those days you don't eat optimally?

Good point. That may partly explain why high glycemic foods (which are more likely to cause an energy "crash") were correlated with weight gain.

Digesting carbs burns fewer calories than protein, so counting calories isn't a perfect system. It's still a good general guideline though.