Protein World - "How could we possibly be sexist?"

Options

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I wish we could portray a bigger range of 'normal', healthy body shapes in the media. I don't want us to say being fat is ok, but I want the media to say that you need to be healthy, not skinny and airbrushed.

I agree with you pretty much but what do you consider 'normal'? size 8, size, 10, size, 12...who decides what is normal?

how have you come to the conclusion that the girl in the advert (or any advert) is not healthy, you can have no idea who is healthier between a size 6 fitness girl and a size 18 model just by looking at them. Check her Instagram she has tons of non airbrushed pics she is just in great shape

Fitness marketing is meant to inspirational, people want something to strive for.....I watch sports to see people who are better at sports than me, I read fitness mags to see people who are fitter than me.

There would have been absolutely zero backlash to this if the picture had been some dude with an insane 6 pack on it.
    "We now run Britain's largest protein facility

note sure that can be true...

I'm in the uk and before this whole thing I have never even heard of this company now everyone knows about them, there is no way this is costing them tons of business like people think it is (no such thing as bad PR etc etc)

It's also laughable how it's ok to 'body shame' (i really hate that term) fitness girls/people for their 'unhealthy' ways as a response to apparent body shaming of 'normal people' - 2 wrongs don't make a right and it's just digging an even bigger hole.

pretty sad situation all round really.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »
    I wish we could portray a bigger range of 'normal', healthy body shapes in the media. I don't want us to say being fat is ok, but I want the media to say that you need to be healthy, not skinny and airbrushed.

I agree with you pretty much but what do you consider 'normal'? size 8, size, 10, size, 12...who decides what is normal?

how have you come to the conclusion that the girl in the advert (or any advert) is not healthy, you can have no idea who is healthier between a size 6 fitness girl and a size 18 model just by looking at them. Check her Instagram she has tons of non airbrushed pics she is just in great shape

Fitness marketing is meant to inspirational, people want something to strive for.....I watch sports to see people who are better at sports than me, I read fitness mags to see people who are fitter than me.

There would have been absolutely zero backlash to this if the picture had been some dude with an insane 6 pack on it.
    "We now run Britain's largest protein facility

note sure that can be true...

I'm in the uk and before this whole thing I have never even heard of this company now everyone knows about them, there is no way this is costing them tons of business like people think it is (no such thing as bad PR etc etc)

I would like to see a range of women within a healthy bmi, not just at the lowest end and underweight fashion models. I would also like to see less airbrushing. just real women, what they really look like. not with their waists and thighs made smaller, not with every slight imperfection removed etc. I couldn't say exactly what dress sizes that would mean, as it varies massively I think.

Surely you can see that in the media there is nothing but flat bellied, sllim legged perfect bodies? That isn't a true representation of healthy female bodies. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I feel strongly that I want my daughter to see that real, healthy bodies do not have to look like these airbrushed pictures. I just wish the emphasis could be on health rather than how aesthetically pleasing the advert is. Again, it just reinforces the idea that a woman is there to look pretty.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Actually I think it's an almost perfect marketing campaign. Just look at everyone talking about it - you can't buy that kind of coverage

And it absolutely buys into the dieters' psyche of wanting a better body .. and the psychology of wanting to look amazing in a bikini .. and it puts this protein supplement company in the heart of it ... it is going to translate directly to sales

I don't even believe it's body fascist - it's just prime advertising, standard usage of body types that society has worked to promote as desirable. And that people buy into. Nobody is saying you don't get to put on a bikini without a body like that - that's just ridiculous in real life, on any beach you have all body shapes and sizes and nobody cares.

Personally this is my favourite ever bikini shot

article-2670451-1F24CF9900000578-188_634x1304.jpg

and this year will be the first year I've happily put on a bikini in about 20 years ...thank you CICO and weight lifting
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love that pic rabbitjb. She is a real, healthy woman in fantastic shape for her age.
  • Hendrix7
    Options
    Surely you can see that in the media there is nothing but flat bellied, sllim legged perfect bodies? That isn't a true representation of healthy female bodies.

in the media as a whole yes, agree completely.

But we are talking about advertising specific to the bodybuilding/fitness industry. I don't want to pick up a copy of mens health filled with people who aren't in great shape........what's the point?
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    "We are a nation of sympathisers for fatties... Why make your insecurities our problem?"

Yes, why make people's insecurities their problem? Why give Protein World any business, which depends on peoples' insecurities to exist? People should sharpie that quote in big, bold writing across every one of this company's ads, and credit Protein World's tweet. Let's see how they like their sales when they're widely associated with that PR gem.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely floored by the amount of people who don't consider this kind of marketing sexist.
  • Hendrix7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm absolutely floored by the amount of people who don't consider this kind of marketing sexist.

10859949_405420152945357_513872842_a.jpg

do you consider this sexist?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I notice the twitter support is flooding in now: https://twitter.com/ProteinWorld

10859949_405420152945357_513872842_a.jpg

I find this photo of this lean, muscular man very upsetting, I shall drown my sorrows in a kilo of cheesecake.
  • Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    Options

Really?

I'm not

Because it's not sexist if we do exactly the same to men

actually is it also ageist because she's young, how about racist because she's white?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Really?

I'm not

actually is it also ageist because she's young, how about racist because she's white?

Don't forget classist - you need expendable income to buy supplements.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my fat *kitten* was in a bikini last year. my fat *kitten* will be in a bikini this year.

If i cared what people thought about me, I'd have an entirely different personality. LOL
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has seen magazine covers over the last 20 years right? There's nothing different about that cover than there is about every other cover of every other body building/shape/fitness, etc magazine out there.

They chose to target women, but men could have easily been targeted. They have muscly men on their magazines too. My boyfriend doesn't look at a body building mag and say "that's horrible that they display someone one here that isn't "real". Because the dude on the cover is real, he just works harder. I for one wouldn't have even thought of being offended by the ad because I could care less what people think of my body. I'm 36, 5'11 and weight 149lbs. I'm in the best shape of my life and lighter than I was in my 20's, but still things aren't perfect and they never will be because I don't care to be perfect. I care to be me and I love the me than I am. Give up the fight. Yes, the CEO fought back, but it was because he was being pushed into a corner by a woman who didn't love herself and seriously, it's not the job of magazines to make us to that.
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Really?

I'm not

I find both a bit sexist. But I'm a bit anti-everything! Nobody's body should be displayed or exploited in the name of advertising and nor should anybody be body shamed into buying a product or not wearing certain clothes!

I also think the CEOs response of "Grow some balls" is very sexist and childish. Just like I hate the term man up.

At the end of the day deliberately aiming it's marketing at a certain sex is sexist even if they don't see it that way. It's a bit offensive to anybody who doesn't have an industry standard perfect body, but it's marketing, and now it's massive publicity for a company I (and I'm sure many others) had never even heard of before this!
  • Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PC bandwagon if you ask me

sex sells - it always has - and it probably always will

but this is not using sex to sell ... it's not like 60s advertising and draping a bikini model over a car with a male target audience and saying buy this cos look at the hot chick, you could have her if you had this car - that's sexist because it portrays the woman as a commodity

instead it's appealing to women's desire to want to look like societal pressures (media / entertainment) promotes 'attractiveness', which women buy into in droves ... want to be healthy, want to look amazing (men buy into it too) .. the target audience is women .. 'the perfect bikini body' is not a line aimed at men .. it's clearly aimed at women - and that's not sexist

it's manipulative, it's body conscious, it's doing what is done to sell a product by reinforcing a need
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay, from a slightly different angle - is the ad implying that fat women shouldn't go to the beach, or that fat women shouldn't go to the beach in a bikini?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ruthie3110 wrote: »

Really?

I'm not

Nobody's body should be displayed or exploited in the name of advertising
    Did the models get held at gunpoint to make those photos?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    See, this is the kind of stuff I was expecting in the "Are women so fragile" thread: hurt feelings and perceptions of victimization.

"Oh, no, they're objectivizing us and fostering the belief that only one kind -- hang on while I Like this Sexy Fireman calendar on Facebook -- where was I? Oh yeah, fostering the belief that only one kind of female body is sexy."

Get a grip.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    ruthie3110 wrote: »
    I also think the CEOs response of "Grow some balls" is very sexist and childish.

This is the only thing I think the company has done wrong. Awful way of managing criticism.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Okay, from a slightly different angle - is the ad implying that fat women shouldn't go to the beach, or that fat women shouldn't go to the beach in a bikini?

No, it's implying that women want to look like that at the beach. Maybe we do, but I think most of us know the difference between reality and fantasy.

There no doubt is some damage done especially to young women when advertising holds up perfection as what women are supposed to look like. But if you actually go to the beach, you'll see many women wearing bikinis that are far from slim, effectively giving the middle finger to those advertisers.