Drop calories or do cardio? Which would you prefer?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Sigh... Like others have pointed out, you are trying to "promote" an IF eating style. Which is great if it works for you and you find it more convenient than other ways to limit calories. It is still limiting calories though. So, to answer your title question, you are dropping calories. How you drop these calories, honestly, it does not matter.
  • mtvstaff
    mtvstaff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sigh, lol. What matters is if getting your desired goal becomes easier, and if its easier to gain the result you are after then thats a good thing (Maybe better) This approach i can keep 8% BF easily at over 90kg. But every other way I've tried has cost more time in the gym , a lot MORE. This was the best and easiest way to get the result i wanted (and hold it) hence why I'm trying to show the perspective as it might help someone else and make life easier Like it did for me. :D
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    But .. but .. it's still calorie monitoring isn't it? When you eventually eat you still need to ensure you don't go over your calories?

OP - whichever way you want
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Beyond a certain level, I can't drop calories any further and still be safe or sane. So at that point I would need to burn more calories rather than eating less. Therefore my answer is "a combination."
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd rather do cardio and eat more.
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But .. but .. it's still calorie monitoring isn't it? When you eventually eat you still need to ensure you don't go over your calories?

OP - whichever way you want

yup calories in vs calories out, for sure there's no real other way :) but it's quite effective and can help.

• mtvstaff
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Beyond a certain level, I can't drop calories any further and still be safe or sane. So at that point I would need to burn more calories rather than eating less. Therefore my answer is "a combination."[/quote

I agree .. a combination is deadly :)
  • deathoxy
    deathoxy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 5 cents here. Cardio and exercising are good, but it's very very hard to keep up with training schedule if you're busy with the work and daily activities while trying to maintain calorie limit. That's why now i'm trying to compensate for lack of dedicated exercises by being more active during the day.
    Take stairs instead of an elevator, take a walk or a bicycle to the grocery shop instead of a car, do a house cleaning (it also makes your place look tidier). I call this behaviour `obsessive-compilsive calorie snatching`, you'll be basically looking for every opportunity to increase your normal daily activity. And this thing really adds up to significant results. You dont feel fatigue (with dedicated exercising fatigue is a problem, after a nice workout usually the best i can do is go to sleep), you're improving your living habits, and you burn hell lot of calories.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    mtvstaff wrote: »
    Here is an interesting perspective in terms of weight loss/Control. Lets use me for an example.. I weigh 92Kg ATM. My body fat fluctuates from around 8-11% lets say 10% BF. So if I weigh 92kg and my BF is 10% I'm holding 10kg of fat. My BMR being Sedentary is 1983 Calories per day. So if you divide that by 24 hours (1 Day) 1983 divided by 24 = 82.625 Calories per hour being burnt over a 24hour period (And use I know we sleep and metab etc but keeping things simple) So lets say if I don't eat 3 hours i would burn 3x 82.625 = 247.875 Calories. Or say I don't eat for 5 hours thats 413 Calories! Now how long would i have to walk or jog on the treadmill to gain the same calorie loss? Since I've been thinking this way Ive found it a great approach to weight control and it works great! I personally don't like running or doing cardio (Unless i have to for competition) but this approach works just the same :)

Exercise calories are an addition-too, not a replacement for your BMR !
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    Nice! What I like is that you've made your own approach. And its easier for yourself, and it works! Same for me.. that's why I do my approach as it works for my lifestyle. That's why i say "If you can maintain it, you can keep it!" Finding what works and as long as you enjoy it you will keep doing it :) It doesn't have to be a drag :)
    deathoxy wrote: »
    My 5 cents here. Cardio and exercising are good, but it's very very hard to keep up with training schedule if you're busy with the work and daily activities while trying to maintain calorie limit. That's why now i'm trying to compensate for lack of dedicated exercises by being more active during the day.
    Take stairs instead of an elevator, take a walk or a bicycle to the grocery shop instead of a car, do a house cleaning (it also makes your place look tidier). I call this behaviour `obsessive-compilsive calorie snatching`, you'll be basically looking for every opportunity to increase your normal daily activity. And this thing really adds up to significant results. You dont feel fatigue (with dedicated exercising fatigue is a problem, after a nice workout usually the best i can do is go to sleep), you're improving your living habits, and you burn hell lot of calories.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How many times are you gonna post this question? :huh:
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    Just twice. ;)
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    Here is an interesting perspective in terms of weight loss/Control. Lets use me for an example.. I weigh 92Kg ATM. My body fat fluctuates from around 8-11% lets say 10% BF. So if I weigh 92kg and my BF is 10% I'm holding 10kg of fat. My BMR being Sedentary is 1983 Calories per day. So if you divide that by 24 hours (1 Day) 1983 divided by 24 = 82.625 Calories per hour being burnt over a 24hour period (And use I know we sleep and metab etc but keeping things simple) So lets say if I don't eat 3 hours i would burn 3x 82.625 = 247.875 Calories. Or say I don't eat for 5 hours thats 413 Calories! Now how long would i have to walk or jog on the treadmill to gain the same calorie loss? Since I've been thinking this way Ive found it a great approach to weight control and it works great! I personally don't like running or doing cardio (Unless i have to for competition) but this approach works just the same :)

Yes that too :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Extra activity allows you to eat more food and therefore gain more nutrition. Depending on your goals, it's usually better to exercise more and eat more.

Yes that is correct but if you expend calories and put them back you are at square one again. But i do understand what you are saying.

err no because there are benefits from doing cardio other than a direct calorie burn.
    You are also making the assumption that you eat 100% of your calories back.
    Sigh, lol. What matters is if getting your desired goal becomes easier, and if its easier to gain the result you are after then thats a good thing (Maybe better) This approach i can keep 8% BF easily at over 90kg. But every other way I've tried has cost more time in the gym , a lot MORE. This was the best and easiest way to get the result i wanted (and hold it) hence why I'm trying to show the perspective as it might help someone else and make life easier Like it did for me. :D

Honestly your explanations just look confused. I am getting more from ageikks explanation of what you are trying to say, which is IF suits you and its a way to control calories. Your thread title is bonkers and seems to be on a completely different subject.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I weigh about the same as you. My BF is a bit higher but my TDEE is about 2700 (vs your 1900). That is 800 cals I can play around with more - creating a larger deficit, or eating.

Plus I enjoy the "cardio" that I do - running, bouldering, etc provide more than just a calorie burn to me. I'll keep the health benefits, thanks.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

You do realise Charlieruns is 100% correct above and your understanding is fundamentally flawed. How can you be so confused about such a simple concept?

Oh and my answer was, its a balance of both and will depend on the day whether I have enough energy and willpower to do more exercise (subject to an overtraining excess) or whether I want to eat less or sacrifice some of my deficit.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Do Cardio dropping anything you enjoy is a recipe for disaster
  • swktg47
    swktg47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't thing mtvstaff is trying to promote IF per se, I think he was just trying to explain that you burn a pretty impressive number of calories simply by being alive when you compare them to the number of calories you burn while doing cardio. And, for him, that's his motivator to EAT less rather than to do MORE cardio. Being alive is a pretty powerful calorie burner, he hates cardio, and he has the ability to restrict his calories a lot without suffering. I don't see where any of that was confusing.
  • mtvstaff
    Options
    swktg47 wrote: »
    I don't thing mtvstaff is trying to promote IF per se, I think he was just trying to explain that you burn a pretty impressive number of calories simply by being alive when you compare them to the number of calories you burn while doing cardio. And, for him, that's his motivator to EAT less rather than to do MORE cardio. Being alive is a pretty powerful calorie burner, he hates cardio, and he has the ability to restrict his calories a lot without suffering. I don't see where any of that was confusing.

THANK YOU! :)

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. With a passion. I'd rather eat less. But I have alot of discipline when it comes to eating.