I Can't Wait to Have a "Style"

Options
For almost all my adult life, I've been stuck in plus sized clothes. That, coupled with the fact that I'm a huge cheapskate, has led to my wardrobe being a mishmash of clothes just fit and not much else. I can't wait until I can get to a normal size and define my "style". I can't wait for corduroy jackets with jeans and tall boots (if my calves will allow it). For blazers and cute tops for work. Basically, I'm tired of looking like a frumpy mess because my plus sized clothes are ill-fitting for my body type or just plain cheap looking. Size 16 can't come soon enough!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Great goal, go get it!
  • kika_mckee
    kika_mckee Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had a moment like this last week! I need some serious help!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yes! I want my style back - I have always been a "fancier" dresser, but I have no idea how to do casual other than jeans, sneakers, and long sleeve tee's. As a mom, I have to be much more casual most days off.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's this kind of thing that I found really motivating too. Have fun with it!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I never had a problem cultivating a specific style even at size 24. Granted it is easier because of increased selection now in misses/juniors sizes now but I did not find it difficult. Glad you are looking forward to it...but I don't really get it when people say that they "couldn't" dress stylishly in larger sizes. Just another POV.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Frumpy is a style and it certainly isn't restricted to plus size folks. Enjoy crafting your new style. It's going to be fun !
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Same! I was overweight before I even learned the word "fashion" and always hated shopping, so now that I'm getting to a point where I can actually fit into larges in clothes and feel comfortable with my body...it's exciting! The main reason I have a pinterest/instagram is so I can look at outfits and note the ones I like to try to figure out what MY style will be. Of course, I'm a poor graduate student, so I'm waiting until either I absolutely cannot wear my jeans (even with a belt) anymore or I get to my goal weight to buy new clothes. It's going to be the best reward :D
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This makes me think of what Stacy London from What Not To Wear used to say "Dress for the body you have". Style isn't limited to size but good luck on your journey.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is a good goal. I definitely can relate to having had a poor wardrobe when I was heavier. Most plus sized clothing is made for ladies with average to above average sized chests. If you are not as endowed, there aren't a lot of off-the-rack ready clothes that look stylish. It's much easier to find flattering clothes that I can wear straight from the store now.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    My "style" will be 34/40 Wranglers and XXL t-shirts instead of 46/40 Wranglers and XXXL t-shirts.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My style will be Jeans t-shirts and boots....just in a smaller size, lol, which is a good thing.
    :p IM a stylish character.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know it's possible to have a style while being plus-sized and I didn't mean to imply that being plus-sized means you're frumpy. But I'm super cheap, and can never justify spending my money on the the limited selection of overpriced (comparable to standard size) fashionable plus-sized clothes.

I long for the day when I can pick a clearance item off the rack in a normal size and have it fit me half-way decently.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile - so honest and sincere. I love it.
    I am excited for you! You will get there, with such a fun goal.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know it's possible to have a style while being plus-sized and I didn't mean to imply that being plus-sized means you're frumpy. But I'm super cheap, and can never justify spending my money on the the limited selection of overpriced (comparable to standard size) fashionable plus-sized clothes.

I long for the day when I can pick a clearance item off the rack in a normal size and have it fit me half-way decently.

Have you ever searched the plus size section of Forever 21? They have really neat fashion forward clothes and good staple items.

Better yet, it's relatively inexpensive so you don't have to spend like they're investment items.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

One warning...the clearance rack seems to end up with the clothes that look good on a small body in large sizes and the clothes that look good on a large body in the small sizes. That's why they're leftover. ~grumbles~

Protip -- figure out a few brands and sizes that suit you NOW and put in a standing search on ebay. Best way to get well-priced quality clothes, I find. I have a closet full of Anne Fontaine shirts (retail new for over $200 ) that I bought that way, all for less than $40 each.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    even when i was plus sized, I had style ;)

except for shoes. im not a shoe person. but thats part of my style LOLOL ;)
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I've always wanted to do a retro glam sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTHPeSY6qE
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I personally can't wait to strut around in my birthday suit with some pride! ;)

In my own house, of course!!!
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    How much fun will this be? Keep going girl!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I've always wanted to do a retro glam sort of thing.

That seems to be the direction my style is going in--although a little more Marilyn Monroe and Latin-influenced.

My style now is a lot more playful/retro/artistic than when I was thinner as a young adult. I guess it is easier to be more creative now with internet shopping.