Damned genetics: When the weight comes off from all the wrong places

segacs
segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
I've lost nearly 35 pounds since last fall. Did it come off from my waist, belly, butt, hips or thighs? Nope. Well, some, but those areas are still plenty big, especially my hips. Yep, pear shaped petite, here. Even though I'm 5'1" / 120lbs, I'm still wearing size 8 pants and skirts, and I still have ungainly fat rolls around the middle. My giant hips are still the first thing everyone notices about me.

Meanwhile, my neck, collarbone area, upper arms, and boobs all shrunk. My narrow shoulders seem to have gotten even narrower. My wrists got smaller, and I had to get links removed from my watches and bracelets. My feet (???) seem to have gone down by a half-size to a size, which is incredibly frustrating since I always wore an easy-to-find size 6 or 6 1/2s, and now I seem to be fitting into 5 1/2s, which are comparatively rare.

Damn uncooperative body: Why must you mock me so?

</rant>

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Welcome to my world! We'll just keep going until we get there.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    If I knew losing 5 more pounds would make my boobs go down I'd do it in a minute. But I'm the one who loses everywhere, but there. Size 30G to be exact. I lost 8" just around my band...nothing from my boobs.

Yes, most people would say "you are lucky". I'd, personally, give the world to be able to wear (comfortably) a dress without a bra. I wish I was a perky 30B.

But those are the breaks. Crap happens and you learn to live with it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    I've lost nearly 35 pounds since last fall. Did it come off from my waist, belly, butt, hips or thighs? Nope. Well, some, but those areas are still plenty big, especially my hips. Yep, pear shaped petite, here. Even though I'm 5'1" / 120lbs, I'm still wearing size 8 pants and skirts, and I still have ungainly fat rolls around the middle. My giant hips are still the first thing everyone notices about me.

Meanwhile, my neck, collarbone area, upper arms, and boobs all shrunk. My narrow shoulders seem to have gotten even narrower. My wrists got smaller, and I had to get links removed from my watches and bracelets. My feet (???) seem to have gone down by a half-size to a size, which is incredibly frustrating since I always wore an easy-to-find size 6 or 6 1/2s, and now I seem to be fitting into 5 1/2s, which are comparatively rare.

Damn uncooperative body: Why must you mock me so?

</rant>

Ugh, one of us must have been adopted, because we are clearly related! I don't want to lose any more off my boobs, rib cage etc, and my wrists are tiny, but that tummy area and hips :s
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    I'm now about 20-25 pounds from my goal...and I can already start to see my ribs. Which means that even when I lose fat from my stomach, I'll never have that nice flat look going on :neutral: Genetics, you are the worst! Oh well.
  • ChickenLittle1121
    ChickenLittle1121 Posts: 32 Member
    +1 to the wish that "the girls" shrink a bit in the losing process. I am in the market for a supportive swimsuit and can't find a damn thing stateside that will fit a 32F.
    But I can definitely sympathize with the frustration of not seeing shrinkage in the legs either. Like, thank you fat, for leaving in general, but I didn't really think my shoulders needed to lose much lol
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Do you do any strength training? Not saying you can spot lose, but sculpting muscle helps a lot with changing your form. I can understand as a guy though because it's tough to lose the dreaded "beer gut" completely that my father, grandfather, etc... all have.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Ah, yes. I am in this with you, segacs. For me it's the stomach. Always the stomach.

I am at my goal "look" everywhere except my stomach and I don't know when it is going to happen there. (Please don't post the "so you want a nice stomach" thread. I've read it and it's a great thread with super advice but tbh her before picture looks better than my current picture. I'm slogging through now but don't find that thread inspirational at the moment.) This past weekend I saw my sister, who didn't believe that my stomach is as bad as I've said because, in clothes, I look great (if I do say so myself o:) .) So I showed her and she was pretty surprised and did a "whoa!" because it's like 90% of me belongs to one body and 10% comes from another body.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    I'd, personally, give the world to be able to wear (comfortably) a dress without a bra.
    I always laugh when bigger chested Ladies say this.
    I'm a 34B and i would never wear a dress Bra-less.......unless it had built-in padded Cups! Lol
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    I'd, personally, give the world to be able to wear (comfortably) a dress without a bra.
    I'm a 34B and i would never wear a dress Bra-less.......unless it had built-in padded Cups! Lol

I'm a 36C and I wear dresses without bras occasionally! Only a certain style of dress though, because mine aren't as perky as some, so I gotta hide that. It's sooo comfy.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member

But at least you have that option. Once you've gone past a 36C, strapless bras are pretty much pointless. If a dress doesn't cover a regular bra, I can't wear it, even if I'm a size 4 and thin everywhere else.

Oh, and now they make most sports bras with those darn cups. My boobs don't fit where the cups are...

*And the lady that mentioned a 32F swimsuit recommendation - Lands End is where I found both of my suits this year. I gave up wearing a bikini top EVER because they just don't fit right. But my one-piece and my tankini fit awesome! I also went the "Bra Sized Route", but I couldn't see paying $90+ for a suit I'd wear like 3 times a year. Amazon has a good selection if you are willing spend the money.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

For some folks........we just do the best we can. My "there" is "not as fat as I used to be....but healthier."

I've been 5'5" tall and 106 pounds (early 20's). I toyed with losing even more weight because dam*it I was going to have thin thighs. Nope, not happening....not without surgical intervention.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Happens to me too. My only problem area is my belly. I'm afraid that the rest of my body might be bony later and then I'll still have a belly. :/
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member

A cup here, and I don't even go bra-less LOL.

As far as the weight loss distribution...I've yo-yoed in the past and it always seems to change both where I pack on weight and where it comes off. This time around I've added strength training so certain muscles are getting bigger and it's just all a mess right now and I have no idea what to expect LOL.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

For some folks........we just do the best we can. My "there" is "not as fat as I used to be....but healthier."

I've been 5'5" tall and 106 pounds (early 20's). I toyed with losing even more weight because dam*it I was going to have thin thighs. Nope, not happening....not without surgical intervention.

I can lose weight everywhere else and my thighs are always the last place to go.
  • segacs

Ugh, one of us must have been adopted, because we are clearly related! I don't want to lose any more off my boobs, rib cage etc, and my wrists are tiny, but that tummy area and hips :s

Sister in spirit! See you at the family reunion.

+1 to the wish that "the girls" shrink a bit in the losing process. I am in the market for a supportive swimsuit and can't find a damn thing stateside that will fit a 32F.

My rib cage has shrunk faster than my boobs, too... to the point where technically I measure out at a 28F. But that size does not exist in Canada. So I'm making do with 32Cs, mostly. Still, those built-in bra dresses and tank tops definitely are not an option for me, not unless I want boobs literally down to my waist. Oh, and don't get me started on swimsuits -- between the hips, thighs, tummy area, and glow-in-the-dark pale skin, I am better off just covering it up.

jemhh wrote: »
    So I showed her and she was pretty surprised and did a "whoa!" because it's like 90% of me belongs to one body and 10% comes from another body.

Yep. I so hear you on this. My top half and bottom half seem to belong to different women.

TeaBea wrote: »

Of course this is the most important thing! Healthier, fitter, all of that. But hey, sometimes a girl just needs to rant, you know?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Well, butts are in fashion at the moment!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    I know it is frustrating, but on the positive side, having more a pear shape is pretty good sign health-wise and I bet you look great in halter tops!
  • segacs
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Well, butts are in fashion at the moment!

Yeah, nice high round ones with itty-bitty waists. Not the "wide load" flabby one I'm toting around.

Oh well, we are all so self-critical, I guess.
  • segacs
    I'm also 5'1" and short-waisted. So no matter how much weight I lose, I still can't wear nice fashionable clothing since I don't fit into regular sizes and am forced to shop the (ever-dwindling selection and dowdy styles of the) petites section.

Good ol' genetics, eh?

(Thankful for my health, first world problems, all that. Yep. True. Just venting.)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I had the same stats when I was 120, I'm also 5'1. The last 13lbs has really made a difference for me so just keep at it!