Fast food? (Wendy's and Tim Horton's)

Options
I know this generally seems like a dumb question on its face, but are there any healthy fast food options? I've got A LOT better at planning in advance to avoid the temptation, when I forget a lunch that day or I work later than planned and get hungry... there's a Wendy's, Tim Horton's, and Little Caesar's in walking distance from my office. I avoid LC but tend to go to TH for either a buffalo chicken wrap with extra chicken, or a chili. I used to get a 4 piece spicy nugget from Wendy's but seems like a total waste of calories even though not huge. I'd like to try a burger or something once in a while but seems like a waste of fat and carbs. Not a big fry person anyway. Prefer TH chili to Wendy's. A little further there is Subway, KFC, or Big John's (basically steak subs). Subway I know is supposed to be healthy but I always feel like they have enormous amounts of bread with very little meat/protein. I occasionally grab grilled chicken from KFC, like a breast and wing grilled. Any thoughts on occasionally doing the drive through thing and what you can get?

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Get whatever you want that fits into your daily allowance. There's noting "bad" about fast food unless you eat nothing but that for every meal.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Nutrition information for all of these places should be easily found online. Go with what you like that fits into your day.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    You can get a plain baked potato (about 270 cal) at Wendy's. You can also get a small chili (170 cal)......and pour the chili on the baked potato........

It's extremely filling!
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Exactly. if it's a once in a while thing. G et what you want. Just accomodate the rest of the day. It's all about moderation.
  • KKJackson91
    KKJackson91 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    From Wendy's I usually get 2 grilled chicken honey mustard go wraps. I don't eat a lot from KFC, I get whatever I want from Subway that fits into my allowance, and if you like Taco Bell, you can get most of the things on their menu "fresco style" which is where they replace the sauces with pico de gallo. It's delicious and cuts out a HUGE amount of their calories. My favorite is shredded chicken burritos fresco style. I do the drive-thru thing once or twice a week and like these ladies said, just get whatever you like that fits into your daily calorie allowance. :) You don't always have to eat salad. Who wants to do that? Lol
  • luvmymonkeykids
    luvmymonkeykids Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like subway's chopped salad. get the veggie one and use Spinach instead of Lettuce and then add all the vegies. If you get the banana peppers, when they chop it all up, you get the spicy juice from the peppers in almost every bite and don't need a dressing at all.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Arby's
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Arby's
    ewww

Sorry :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Subway but when I have to, I'll go there. their subs aren't bad for protein and the macro breakdown was never too bad for me.
    Tim Horton breakfast sandwiches on English muffins and with ham aren't too bad. I can't remember the difference between the egg white and not.

I do Wendy's chilli as well. If I recall they have some grilled chicken sandwiches that aren't too bad.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    You can get a plain baked potato (about 270 cal) at Wendy's. You can also get a small chili (170 cal)......and pour the chili on the baked potato........

It's extremely filling!

This is exactly what I was going to say. I also will get a Jr. Bacon cheeseburger and a side salad. Wendy's does have the best burgers out of all the fast food ones.
  • jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're in Canada, here's a fusion table I did that includes A&W, BK, DQ, Extreme Pita, KFC, McDonald's, Subway, Tim's and Wendy's:
    https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1ERhXXqFYj_hW1Jk687tzCbY86AlnGaH8vx19Pvwf

You can sort food by calories, fat, sat fat, protein, fibre, etc

You even have bonus columns of Protein/100 calories, Protein:Carb ratio, and Protein:Fat ratio if you're watching those numbers.

hope that helps

If you're not in Canada, it should still give you a rough estimate...
  • biolizard1991
    biolizard1991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get chili instead of fries @ Wendy's. I normally eat that grilled chicken sandwich when I go there too
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You guys are so helpful and super fast to respond. :# I like to post on here a lot because it keeps me from getting derailed if I ask every little question to play it safe. I've lost 15 pounds over the last 1 weeks by being diligent and I don't want to stop my progress over a beef and cheddar with arby's sauce lol.

I've been as a rule of thumb trying to eat meals that have more protein than carbs and aiming for that along with logging all the time has helped to keep me on track.

Thanks! I like that this is like a good options thread where people seem to be posting what they get at fast food places which is cool to read. I like to kind of know in advance so I'm not tempted. TH was going through an Oreo faze in the winter that was sooooo tempting. Oreo donuts, oreo frappuccinos it's was nuts lol.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    jrcrmr wrote: »
    If you're in Canada, here's a fusion table I did that includes A&W, BK, DQ, Extreme Pita, KFC, McDonald's, Subway, Tim's and Wendy's:
    https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1ERhXXqFYj_hW1Jk687tzCbY86AlnGaH8vx19Pvwf

You can sort food by calories, fat, sat fat, protein, fibre, etc

You even have bonus columns of Protein/100 calories, Protein:Carb ratio, and Protein:Fat ratio if you're watching those numbers.

hope that helps

If you're not in Canada, it should still give you a rough estimate...

I'm not in Canada but that's awesome!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I love Wendy’s and Timmies. I find a lot of their options fit easily into my goals. You can eat whatever you like for sure, as long as it works for your macros and all that.

Wendy’s especially has some great options on their new menu, plus the nutritional info is super detailed (you can see the calories/protein/etc of each ingredient) so you can easily get a burger or something without the dressings. Their salads are surprisingly awesome for the calorie/protein ratio. I recall that a half salad is around 3-400 calories and 25-30g of protein. The chicken wraps are also amazing at 280 calories for 19 protein (or so).

At Timmies, I like their breakfast sandwiches a lot (around 280 calories for 20ish protein), except for the biscuit one which has quite a bit more calories. I especially like the bacon breakfast sandwich on a bagel - around 500cal and 30 protein, but so delicious.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It depends on what's important to you. The chili and baked potato are probably the biggest nutrition "bang" for the calorie "buck".

My only advice is don't let the fact this is a necessity choice mean you just eat the food without tasting it.

Most (all)? of the salads at Wendy's (and probably elsewhere) can be ordered with dressing on the side; I don't know if they still have their various chicken salads, but most of those are good choices. And sometimes hot food is worth it (for me, hot food is a little more satisfying emotionally).

Choose what you eat with care, don't label anything as forbidden and therefore give it extra allure. Choose, don't accept or settle.
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The non-creamy soups at Tim Horton's are also good. The chicken noodle is 100 cals/bowl and delicious! I usually do that or whatever vegetable soup they have and a chicken wrap with an iced coffee. Total is around 300 cals and fits in my macros pretty well. Have to watch the sodium though - it adds up pretty quickly.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    The grilled chicken sandwhich and the garden side salad with no dressing from Wendy's is my go to. You could get the sandwhich with no sauce but let's face it, otherwise it's just a pretty bland piece of chicken.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    2 things I always keeps in mind when eating fast food: 1) because of the high sodium you'll retain water, so don't get upset that week if your weight doesn't behave as you expect it to based off of your CICO - it'll work its way out when you eat more normally. 2) Personally, I always assume that the calorie counts are underestimated by 10-20%. I just base that off of comparing to sandwiches I make myself (like a tuna salad sand. compared to Subway or Potbelly) - there's just no way those numbers add up unless they are using some magical calorie free mayo, and more likely they are using more mayo in practice than they are when they are test-measured.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat the best tasting stuff that's the lowest in calories. You can usually find the calorie content online. I also have a little book on fast food calories that I find handy. One day, I wrote myself a little cheat sheet and put it in my purse. I wrote down the calorie content for the things I like most, or the food that I think I would like.