Fast food? (Wendy's and Tim Horton's)

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,920 Member
    Options
    Subway salads with extra protein. Six inch sub extra protein. Wendy chili (lots of salt, so too subway). Wendy Jr burger, no mayo, mustard instead...and an extra meat patty

does depend on your calories or other goals and frankly fitting in what you feel like having!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    You can get a plain baked potato (about 270 cal) at Wendy's. You can also get a small chili (170 cal)......and pour the chili on the baked potato........

It's extremely filling!

And nothing wrong with the burger. You don't need to worry about the fat and carb counts as much as the calories...it's all about the calories, honest! Also be sure to drink extra water to combat the sodium.

Every so often only a burger will satisfy. As long as you figure you have to eat fewer calories for supper or snack that night to stay in your goal, no problem. I've had a Quarter Pounder (without cheese and without mayo!!! --I don't like the fake cheese they use and the mayo is JUST not worth the calories) and a small soda for lunch sometimes then just had a nice big salad for supper...and drank water or made sure I only nibbled on veggies for snacks that night if I had the munchies before bed. It works.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    2 things I always keeps in mind when eating fast food: 1) because of the high sodium you'll retain water, so don't get upset that week if your weight doesn't behave as you expect it to based off of your CICO - it'll work its way out when you eat more normally. 2) Personally, I always assume that the calorie counts are underestimated by 10-20%. I just base that off of comparing to sandwiches I make myself (like a tuna salad sand. compared to Subway or Potbelly) - there's just no way those numbers add up unless they are using some magical calorie free mayo, and more likely they are using more mayo in practice than they are when they are test-measured.

This is another reason why I don't get mayo on sandwiches when I'm out - I know they would not be precise and probably slather on a glop of it without even thinking.

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    freeoscar wrote: »
    2 things I always keeps in mind when eating fast food: 1) because of the high sodium you'll retain water, so don't get upset that week if your weight doesn't behave as you expect it to based off of your CICO - it'll work its way out when you eat more normally. 2) Personally, I always assume that the calorie counts are underestimated by 10-20%. I just base that off of comparing to sandwiches I make myself (like a tuna salad sand. compared to Subway or Potbelly) - there's just no way those numbers add up unless they are using some magical calorie free mayo, and more likely they are using more mayo in practice than they are when they are test-measured.

This is another reason why I don't get mayo on sandwiches when I'm out - I know they would not be precise and probably slather on a glop of it without even thinking.

FWIW, back when I worked at McD's long ago the condiments like mayo, mustard and ketchup were all in tubes and dispensed using a caulk gun. The amount each burger got was pretty uniform. The ads always show someone slowly and lovingly spreading mayo on your burger with a knife but that's not what happens.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Baconator. Fits my protein/fat macros nicely.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get chili instead of fries @ Wendy's. I normally eat that grilled chicken sandwich when I go there too

This. Plus they have an Asian salad that is only about 380 calories.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    id go with a sandwich and soup from Timmies
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wendys ultimate chicken grill 370 cals, 34g protein, with a side salad with lite dressing (no croutons) 95 calories. Total 465 calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Get whatever you want that fits into your daily allowance. There's noting "bad" about fast food unless you eat nothing but that for every meal.

To a point, that's true, but some fast food meals are well over 1000 calories. That doesn't leave much room for the rest of the day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Get whatever you want that fits into your daily allowance. There's noting "bad" about fast food unless you eat nothing but that for every meal.

To a point, that's true, but some fast food meals are well over 1000 calories. That doesn't leave much room for the rest of my day.

FIFY
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

To a point, that's true, but some fast food meals are well over 1000 calories. That doesn't leave much room for the rest of the day.

Which is why she said "fits into your daily allowance"
  • wfarrens
    wfarrens Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who buys a footlong sub at Subway and then takes everything out of one half and puts it into the other. I'm not a fan of wasting food, but it's a good trick for getting a more filling sandwich from Subway without eating quite so much bread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I usually opt for Wendy's if I'm doing fast food. I like the Asian Cashew Chicken Salad and I either get a large or a naked baked potato and I smother it with a small chili.
  • kaylamariia
    kaylamariia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I filled up at Wendy's with a large chili and side garden salad with pomegranate vinaigrette dressing.. Only 335 calories
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    People are going to give you the generic feel good, "you don't have to give up anything" answer. That is, "just it it in your day." OK, so technically true. If you have 1600 calories you can squeeze a 1200 calorie Wendy's meal in and eat like a starving lunatic the rest of the day. That or get something boring like one of those Junior burgers that wouldn't fill up the average toddler. Or a salad (seriously, wtf are you going to Wendy's to get a salad?). Then again maybe you're Beastmode McSuperbro and you cut weight eating 4000 calories a day because you're 20 and spending 5 hours a day working out. Good for you. Here's the real world answer for most people. Go less often.

I actually really like their salads. They’re convenient and tasty and are topped with grilled chicken breast, so they’re high in protein. If I want a burger, I usually get a double patty w/ bacon at Five Guys for 780 delicious calories :yum:.

Another vote for the Asian cashew salad. I also like how they give you the dressing and nuts on the side in little baggies. I seldom add the dressing, which cuts down on calories even further.
  • fitbunny93
    fitbunny93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I know this generally seems like a dumb question on its face, but are there any healthy fast food options? I've got A LOT better at planning in advance to avoid the temptation, when I forget a lunch that day or I work later than planned and get hungry... there's a Wendy's, Tim Horton's, and Little Caesar's in walking distance from my office. I avoid LC but tend to go to TH for either a buffalo chicken wrap with extra chicken, or a chili. I used to get a 4 piece spicy nugget from Wendy's but seems like a total waste of calories even though not huge. I'd like to try a burger or something once in a while but seems like a waste of fat and carbs. Not a big fry person anyway. Prefer TH chili to Wendy's. A little further there is Subway, KFC, or Big John's (basically steak subs). Subway I know is supposed to be healthy but I always feel like they have enormous amounts of bread with very little meat/protein. I occasionally grab grilled chicken from KFC, like a breast and wing grilled. Any thoughts on occasionally doing the drive through thing and what you can get?

I would suggest to pack a healthy lunch everyday. Set an alarm or have some kind of reminder so that you don't forget to pack your own healthy lunch. maybe have one day a week, say friday, that you can eat something from a fast food place. Majority of these fast food places do have some lower calorie options but are they really healthy? probably not. it's all artifical flavors, preservatives, loaded with chemicals and not nutrient filled. Not to mention high in fat and usually oily. however, if you absolutely have to, I'd say to stick to the salads and baked potatoe, chili as it was mentioned.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fitbunny93 wrote: »
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    I know this generally seems like a dumb question on its face, but are there any healthy fast food options? I've got A LOT better at planning in advance to avoid the temptation, when I forget a lunch that day or I work later than planned and get hungry... there's a Wendy's, Tim Horton's, and Little Caesar's in walking distance from my office. I avoid LC but tend to go to TH for either a buffalo chicken wrap with extra chicken, or a chili. I used to get a 4 piece spicy nugget from Wendy's but seems like a total waste of calories even though not huge. I'd like to try a burger or something once in a while but seems like a waste of fat and carbs. Not a big fry person anyway. Prefer TH chili to Wendy's. A little further there is Subway, KFC, or Big John's (basically steak subs). Subway I know is supposed to be healthy but I always feel like they have enormous amounts of bread with very little meat/protein. I occasionally grab grilled chicken from KFC, like a breast and wing grilled. Any thoughts on occasionally doing the drive through thing and what you can get?

I would suggest to pack a healthy lunch everyday. Set an alarm or have some kind of reminder so that you don't forget to pack your own healthy lunch. maybe have one day a week, say friday, that you can eat something from a fast food place. Majority of these fast food places do have some lower calorie options but are they really healthy? probably not. it's all artifical flavors, preservatives, loaded with chemicals and not nutrient filled. Not to mention high in fat and usually oily. however, if you absolutely have to, I'd say to stick to the salads and baked potatoe, chili as it was mentioned.

I'm a big fan of packing my own lunch (I get to eat what I like, I save money, I get to use the rest of my lunch break to walk around instead of waiting in line), but if someone wants to eat out, I don't think it is a problem. Things like artificial flavorings, preservatives, and chemicals -- these are just scary buzzwords. What harm are they going to do? The fat content can be controlled by what one orders.