Is calorie counting really a lifetime/long term solution?

Options

Replies

• Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I feel sorry for anyone who has to count calories forever.

Calorie counting is a MUCH simpler way for me to take care of myself physically and love how I look than to keep gaining, feeling terrible, start over with losing weight for months, restart cycle. I sacrifize a couple of minutes every day to not have to spend months of feeling terrible because I gained all the weight back.
    Just like taking care of your hygiene by brushing your teeth, taking a shower, washing clothes.. Calorie counting is like any other everyday routine thing for me and for many others.
    Idk, I know I don't feel sorry for people who "has" to brush their teeth every day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting has worked best for me. I've tried not counting calories and was not able to lose and maintain weight loss with other methods. If I could intuitively eat then I probably wouldn't have gotten so overweight.
    I am not a binge eater. I imagine that not severely restricting types of food and just reducing calories and dealing with your emotions without food might help though.
    I don't know if I will have to log everything I consume for the rest of my life but until I reach my goal I probably will. I 've found the last 6 months of calorie counting to be a ridiculously easy way to lose weight.
    I can imagine that after a couple of years of eating normal food but tracking calories that I will have learned calorie counts of foods, appropriate portion sizes and types of food that fit my goals best. So I think what I'm learning will be used for a lifetime but not necessarily weighing and logging food every day until I die.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is it so awful to feel bad for a person who has to count calories forever? I don't see how saying that is insulting.

It's as awful to me personally as it was when this guy I went on a date with asked me how it felt to be handicapped because I wore glasses.

People are entitled to think how they want, of course, but it's pretty judgmental to place moral value on some people's need to use a tool to keep them in line with meeting a goal they'd like to meet.

I look at calorie counting as a means of implementing an instinctive behavior that I should have that I don't. Just as I need an aide to implement normal vision, I need an aid to implement a calorie intake that maintains normal body weight for my height and age. I'm choosing to use calorie counting for that. I shouldn't be judged for it.

Not everyone is able to develop intuitive behavior. What's wrong with admitting that and knowing it about yourself?

Well the glasses guy sounds a bit off but I guess I don't see the calorie counting comment as placing a moral value on anything. A man I know broke his leg recently and is supposed to go to Italy on vacation next week. I feel bad for him that he has to deal with a broken leg while on vacation. It's an awful thing for me to think that?

Temporary vs. permanent, though. People who adjust to or find a permanent condition normal probably don't feel good about or comfortable with the idea that others pity them, so on the whole I think telling someone you pity them for something that is just how they are is rude. I mean, I probably do feel bad for dumb people, but I would never tell someone I feel really bad that he has to live with a sub-par intelligence or some such. Comments like "I'm really sorry that you can't appreciate good music" similarly are clearly intended to be insulting or condescending.

I don't really care since I think it's a funny thing to pity someone for (calorie counting, I mean) and sure, while I'm not convinced I will specifically calorie count (as opposed to employ other forms of mindful eating/judging quantity beyond simply eating what I like and "listening to my body"), I kind of wish I were one of these people who never had to think about it. But in the scheme of things I'm awfully lucky and privileged, so if someone wants to feel bad for me I'll take it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is it so awful to feel bad for a person who has to count calories forever? I don't see how saying that is insulting.

It's as awful to me personally as it was when this guy I went on a date with asked me how it felt to be handicapped because I wore glasses.

People are entitled to think how they want, of course, but it's pretty judgmental to place moral value on some people's need to use a tool to keep them in line with meeting a goal they'd like to meet.

I look at calorie counting as a means of implementing an instinctive behavior that I should have that I don't. Just as I need an aide to implement normal vision, I need an aid to implement a calorie intake that maintains normal body weight for my height and age. I'm choosing to use calorie counting for that. I shouldn't be judged for it.

Not everyone is able to develop intuitive behavior. What's wrong with admitting that and knowing it about yourself?

Well the glasses guy sounds a bit off but I guess I don't see the calorie counting comment as placing a moral value on anything. A man I know broke his leg recently and is supposed to go to Italy on vacation next week. I feel bad for him that he has to deal with a broken leg while on vacation. It's an awful thing for me to think that?
    How does logging food relate to having a broken leg?

I'm just trying to figure out how saying "I feel bad that a person has to XYZ" is a bad thing. I'm not trying to be argumentative or contrary. People seem very offended by that phrasing. I recognize that I am not a very emotion-driven person so I'm trying to understand.
    My guess is that implies some sort of defect or problem, when those doing it don't necessarily see doing so as a defect or problem. It's implicit condescension and it's fairly easy, for me, to understand how some people would find that offensive.

"I feel sorry for people who are short," for example.

Yes, a much better way of putting what I was trying to say. I should read all the posts before commenting.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

I don't see anything awful about that at all. I too feel sorry for people who have to count calories forever. For that matter, I feel sorry for people who weight their food. Is that sorrow misplaced? Could be. Some people get pleasure out of journaling and recording everything that happens in their lives. I don't. But saying that I feel sorry for them isn't an insult, it just expresses that I would find it very difficult if I was forced to do the same thing.

I agree. It just seems like unnecessary work to me. I think of it as a training tool...something I am using temporarily to figure out the best way to eat long term. A good thing to use to teach me the fine points of portion sizes and macros. But I do find it to be a bit of an annoyance. I have never even used a food scale...I can't even imagine weighing everything I eat.

Now, if other people don't find this annoying and plan to use it forever, then I'm happy it works for them and wish them long term success. But I don't think it's awful to say I wish they didn't have to.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Judging from the number of "I'm ba-ack!" threads, it's reasonable to guess that no, calorie counting isn't a viable lifetime solution for a significant number of people.

You presume they continued calorie counting. That's a major presumption.

No, I presumed they STOPPED calorie counting. Hence the conclusion that it wasn't a "lifetime solution" for them. Because if it was a "lifetime solution", they wouldn't have stopped.

Oooookay, I would assume a "lifetime solution" would be one they actually implemented for life. We just have different ways of looking at the phrase.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

There was a claim that calorie counting is a "lifetime solution". I pointed out that many MFPers start out believing that and acting that way, but end up ditching it. Therefore calorie counting is not a sustainable solution for many, therefore by definition can't be considered a "lifetime solution" for many.

You took issue with my statements, which is totally fine, but I have no idea why or what you're trying to say. If I had to guess, there's a no true scotsman argument buried in there, but honestly, I'm just guessing.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...telling someone you pity them...

Now hold on a second - you're the only person in this thread to use the word "pity".

Feeling sorry for someone - feeling empathy for their situation - is not the same as pitying someone.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Judging from the number of "I'm ba-ack!" threads, it's reasonable to guess that no, calorie counting isn't a viable lifetime solution for a significant number of people.

You presume they continued calorie counting. That's a major presumption.

No, I presumed they STOPPED calorie counting. Hence the conclusion that it wasn't a "lifetime solution" for them. Because if it was a "lifetime solution", they wouldn't have stopped.

Oooookay, I would assume a "lifetime solution" would be one they actually implemented for life. We just have different ways of looking at the phrase.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

There was a claim that calorie counting is a "lifetime solution". I pointed out that many MFPers start out believing that and acting that way, but end up ditching it. Therefore calorie counting is not a sustainable solution for many, therefore by definition can't be considered a "lifetime solution" for many.

You took issue with my statements, which is totally fine, but I have no idea why or what you're trying to say. If I had to guess, there's a no true scotsman argument buried in there, but honestly, I'm just guessing.

You continually try to equate "can be" with "is." In multiple threads.

She is saying, as I understand it, if used for a lifetime then calorie counting can be a solution. Or, worded differently, even if it needs to be used for a lifetime, it can be a solution.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    Hi,

I am always so insecure about what method for weight loss I should apply, especially as I have got issues with emotional eating/binge eating. I have tried intuitive eating several times and always failed and also other methods like eating certain foods only or restricting eating to certain times...so far the calorie counting was working best for me. However, I am insecure as many therapists and weight loss experts and also especially the intuitive eating authors and community account calorie counting responsible for most binge eating problems. What do you think and what is your experience? Is calorie counting a lifetime solution? I am almost ready to think so and give it a go (and of course at the meantime try to work on my binge eating as well)....I just need some supporters that can tell me "yes" you can decide for calorie couning and NOT feel deprived but free by doing it and relying on it forever!

Many thanks for your answers,
    Tata

I think that if you have an eating disorder background, the thing to watch out for is getting obsessive about calorie counting and that leading to increased anxiety. I have a binge eating background, and I actually find calorie counting is very helpful for me. This is in part because I tend to be impulsive and lose focus (rather than obsessive and with high anxiety). So, counting for me helps me to stay focused and planful. It helps me make sure to eat the right amount each day. It allows me to have flexibility in my food choices. For example, I can eat out, I can have treats, and account for them in my counting.

I think calorie counting is more likely to cause problems for people who are high anxiety and a tendency towards obsessiveness. If this is the case, you may need to purposefully do things to combat that, like make sure to eat enough food each day, even if you feel anxious about it, to occassionally take days or meals off of counting to decrease the obsessiveness about, to challenge yourself to eat a variety of foods especially "scary" ones on a regular basis, etc. I think if you have had a legitimate weight problem such as have been in the obese category, calorie counting should be considered to help you to manage the problem, but there are these challenges involved in something which may increase what is already hyperfocus on food choices and amounts. If you have not had a significant weight problem, then I don't think the calorie counting is worth it for this personality type.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a history of binge eating and bulemia. Calorie counting is working really well for me this time around because I am using a different perspective.

1. I set my weight loss rate goal at a level that allows me to eat a sustainable amount of food. I can't be very hungry all the time. That Makes Me Binge.

2. No food is off limits. There are a lot of unhealthy foods I cut out of my daily consumption but if I really want something, I have some. I also work really hard to make my regular food filling and delicious. I have significant culinary skill so I am having fun experimenting with new flavor.

3. I only weight once a month. Seeing the fluxuations on the scale used to cause me to panic and "compensate" with a lot of unhealthy behavior that was ultimately very unsuccessful. The first 2 months I had my boyfriend hide my scale. That caused anxiety (what if I don't lose) but was ultimately really good for my perspective. The scale is out now, and I only track official results monthly.

4.Once a month I have a "reward" day. This is not a binge. I usually have mexican food wi T have all the chips I want and a margarita. I roughly still track but I don't worry about being a few thousand calories over my normal daily. Often when I have had the urge to binge thinking about how I will be getting the reward day motivates me not to.

5. I cut myself a break. Every day is a new day. No need to punish myself because I am committed to changing my relationship with food for the rest of my life.

6. No more focus on a weight goal. This is not a destination. Some people may be able to lose weight and keep it off without counting. I think those people never had the degree of weight problem I do. Much like an alcoholic, I won't ever be able to consume whatever I have the urge for without sliding back into old habits and old results. I am planning on counting what I eat and being physically active forever. Accepting that makes the tracking calories pretty much a daily task like another mentioned. I don't resent brushing my teeth or taking a shower every day. How I feel now that I am healthy and more active is well worth the daily task.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm just trying to figure out how saying "I feel bad that a person has to XYZ" is a bad thing. I'm not trying to be argumentative or contrary. People seem very offended by that phrasing. I recognize that I am not a very emotion-driven person so I'm trying to understand.
    My guess is that implies some sort of defect or problem, when those doing it don't necessarily see doing so as a defect or problem. It's implicit condescension and it's fairly easy, for me, to understand how some people would find that offensive.

It's really no different than somebody saying there is no need for someone to stop eating junk food or any other food that tastes good and that is not sustainable long term (because the person saying it doesn't find it sustainable for them). If you are of a certain mindset, you could interpret that as them implying that there is some defect in a person who has trouble eating small quantities of certain foods.

The point is, except for people who have always been thin due to a naturally high metabolism or good habits formed in childhood, everybody needs to sacrifice something or do some extra work to get to or stay at a healthy weight. Either you have to eat less of everything and give up eating as much as you want whenever you want it (the IIFYM crowd) , or you have to stop eating certain foods you used to eat on a regular basis (the restriction/elimination crowd) or you have to give up some of your free time and greatly increase your cooking instead of ordering takeout, or you must greatly increase your exercise. Or you have to constantly weigh and measure every bite of food that goes into your mouth for eternity. Many people choose some combination. The key is to choose the option(s) that are least onerous to you so that you can make it sustainable. If you choose correctly for your personality and genetics, with time these things will stop seeming like work and just become habit... although I think it still requires vigilance.

That is the reality. People should just accept that and stop being so thin skinned and constantly seeing judgement where there really is none. It's just that when someone chooses a path that seems unnecessaryily onerous to you, you can't help feeling like they are making it harder than it needs to be. In reality, perhaps that path is somewhat easier for them than the alternatives even if it would be much harder for you. We ALL have our biases, and it is hard to step back and not look at these things through our own lense.

FYI, every time I am on a crowded subway and see a short person with their face pressed into a tall strager's armpit, I DO feel sorry for them. I am not judging them though. :smile:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I feel sorry for short people too. Especially when I put things above their heads and they have to ask for help getting them down.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am getting good at estimating and calorie counting after three years. On some days, I enter my foods into the log and I am no more than 1-200 calories of my guestimate. The way I look at it I am resetting the internal clock that was broken and said I could consume 4500 calories a day before. I will probably count calories in some capacity for the rest of my very long, happy, fulfilled life.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    That is the reality. People should just accept that and stop being so thin skinned and constantly seeing judgement where there really is none. It's just that when someone chooses a path that seems unnecessaryily onerous to you, you can't help feeling like they are making it harder than it needs to be. In reality, perhaps that path is somewhat easier for them than the alternatives even if it would be much harder for you. We ALL have our biases, and it is hard to step back and not look at these things through our own lense.
    I agree that people should stop being so sensitive about every slight, real or perceived, in the world. I'm just saying what I perceive their issue with the wording to be.

I don't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys whether some random guy on the internet feels sorry for me if I count calories for the rest of my life, even if the tone appears to be less about actually feeling sorry for someone who counts and more about expressing a sense of smug superiority.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I agree that people should stop being so sensitive about every slight, real or perceived, in the world. I'm just saying what I perceive their issue with the wording to be.

I don't give a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys whether some random guy on the internet feels sorry for me if I count calories for the rest of my life, even if the tone appears to be less about actually feeling sorry for someone who counts and more about expressing a sense of smug superiority.

Cosigned

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think this is dependent on the individual. I find it invaluable to losing weight and it's never triggered any sort of binging in me.

As for continuing once I reach my UGW? I plan to keep track for a few months in maintenance and then switch to keeping a close eye on the scale and how my clothes fit so I can keep from reverting.

I maintained a 20lb loss for five years by checking the scale on a regular basis. If I noticed I'd gained a few pounds then I wouldn't count calories; I would eat less and skip desserts until I was back in my ideal range.

It only came back (over another few years) when I went through a lot of personal upheaval (traveling for six months with no access to a reliable scale, stress, new job, etc.) and stopped paying attention to my weight and how my clothes fit. My fault. I had plenty of excuses.

I feel to maintain our health we all have to be vigilant in some way. How we do that is up to us and there is no wrong way.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm already feeling sorry for myself about counting calories forever. I sure hope that will not be necessary.

I'll admit that weighing and logging is not difficult or time consuming. It's just that it turns my focus toward food and it changes my attitude toward eating.

Neighbor says "We're grillin' ribs tonight. Come on over and y'all bring the beer."

My husband thinks "Oh boy, ribs and beer!"

I think "Damn, I already ate xxx calories today and only have xxx calories left. If I have ribs and beer I'll be overdrawn. Sigh." Of course I have the ribs and beer anyway, but calorie thoughts kind of impose on the fun.

My intention, when I get to maintenance, is to keep counting and logging for a while. Then try not counting for while and weigh myself regularly and see how I do. Kind of like letting go of the bicycle handlebars. It's entirely possible that I'll have to keep counting at least periodically and I have to say, I'm a little sad about that.

Edit: Spelling

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    Neighbor says "We're grillin' ribs tonight. Come on over and y'all bring the beer."

I think "Damn, I already ate xxx calories today and only have xxx calories left. If I have ribs and beer I'll be overdrawn. Sigh." Of course I have the ribs and beer anyway, but calorie thoughts kind of impose on the fun.
    Isn't not letting calories impose on the fun kinda what got you into this in the first place?

The calorie thoughts need to impose somewhere. Maybe not on the ribs and beer, but somewhere.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Isn't not letting calories impose on the fun kinda what got you into this in the first place?

The calorie thoughts need to impose somewhere. Maybe not on the ribs and beer, but somewhere.

Yes, not thinking about calories is what got me here. I was shocked when I looked up how many calories are in a typical rib dinner in a restaurant and I would often ignorantly order that and a pitcher not giving a single thought to the calories. Ah, those were the days. I'm a little nostalgic.

You're right. I'll always have to pay attention to this in some manner and set some priorities. I guess I'm just pouting.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

Yes, not thinking about calories is what got me here. I was shocked when I looked up how many calories are in a typical rib dinner in a restaurant and I would often ignorantly order that and a pitcher not giving a single thought to the calories. Ah, those were the days. I'm a little nostalgic.

You're right. I'll always have to pay attention to this in some manner and set some priorities. I guess I'm just pouting.
    Welcome to the club.

Also, that's one of the many reasons I prefer brisket to ribs. I don't have to worry about the calories in a sauce, I can get a crapton and eat less potato salad and whatever else, and all the retained water eventually goes away. Also, burnt ends.