what excuses did you make for not losing weight.

Options
I use to tell myself lots of things when I was in denial about my weight. I used to tell people that I had an hour glass figure it was just a little bigger than most. I use to tell people that being curvy was sexy. (I still believe that, but i had left curvy around 80lbs ago.)

I'm hoping everyone has some of these stories. How did you live in denial?

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I was getting older and it was unavoidable.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds in two months when my son got married in 2007 by half-starving myself and burning 1,000 calories a day in exercise. I knew that at any time, I could just as "easily" lose 20 pounds in two months. 60 pounds later, I realized that no, it's not easy! Now I'm taking my time, losing about half a pound or so a week (much faster than I put it on!), and relishing in fitting in clothes that I outgrew five years ago.
  • oldbod
    oldbod Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a (recovering) chocoholic. :)
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "I'll start tomorrow" is something I've told myself probably 1,000 times in recent years.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also used to do the 5:2 and tell people I could eat whatever i want the next day. then when I stopped losing weight I changed it to 4:3 then it became alternate day fasting. Turns out I can't eat a whole tub of Ben and Jerry's even if I do starve myself the next day.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I was working my excuse was, "I work all the time. If I didn't work all the time I could workout." And then when I stopped working my excuse was, "I don't work all the time. If I did work all the time I wouldn't be around food all day so I wouldn't over eat."

I was so annoying.
  • laropmet
    edited April 2015
    Options
    double post
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I was working my excuse was, "I work all the time. If I didn't work all the time I could workout." And then when I stopped working my excuse was, "I don't work all the time. If I did work all the time I wouldn't be around food all day so I wouldn't over eat."

I was so annoying.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I convinced myself that I was a "food addict" and a "sugar addict". That it was harder for me than "normal" people because of that.
    Then I realized one day that I was fat because I had absolutely no self control. That's when things finally changed for me.
  • eyeofnewt555
    eyeofnewt555 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That it was just new muscle weight from working out. Nope.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

I was so annoying.

Funny how that works!
  • mausbop
    mausbop Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Many excuses...the first was that I should simply accept me as I am , I don't need to lose weight. That's part true since we should all love ourselves.
    That maybe I would not like how I'd look if I'd lose weight.
    That I was always fat, I will never be able to get thin.
    That I'll get saggy boobs, I like my boobs.
    That I'd quit pretty soon anyway, so why starting?

It's been a month now, I had a few down moments and from my past experiences I would have already quit. I didn't, I'm still here B) I cherish the "up" moments instead of focusing on the bad ones.
  • laropmet
    Options

I was so annoying.

I love this, it sounds like my logic too.

• quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    my mind still tries to fight it. i have 46 lbs. left to lose and even though i've lost almost 80, i have to argue with myself. i win, but i still hate that it happens, you know?

hearing myself whine "i can't" makes me grit my teeth because i know i can. i have before and i will again.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    "I'll start tomorrow" is something I've told myself probably 1,000 times in recent years.

Starting "Monday" for me...
  • EllenBentley1
    EllenBentley1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK! 'atypicalsmith', that did it for me--to burn 1000 calories a day. I KNOW I need to get back to the gym but use the excuse about music being so loud the floors vibrate (and no, the ear bud things don't work). Get up earlier and walk while it's cooler. Am at 2 mi, working up to 4 mi 3X week; golf 3X week but still not burning enough calories. Of course, the periodic "slips" and going over daily limit by even a couple hundred doesn't help.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I injured myself 10 years ago and worked on my feet 40 hours a week at a plus size women's clothing store. I had a 4 and 2 year old and thought how can I focus on myself? There is just no time, I'm a FT working mom with a crazy schedule and my injury just won't completely heal. I felt like I was getting nowhere fast and my mobility was terrible. I got home and just sat in the recliner after the day's busyness was done with my swollen painful feet and ankles, ate cookie doh and brownies and thought, "I'm old." I was 34.

The truth was I was overweight anyway at the time of my injury (100 pounds over weight according to the BMI charts) which did not aid in my recovery. The weight slowly came on even more and I gained another 50 pounds over the course of the next 10 years. I gave up for a while, an entire decade which I can't get back now. So, I'm doing something about it going on 7 months now and carving time out for me, my girls are 12 and 14 and I don't want to get sick or die and leave them or my husband alone because of something I can directly DO somthing about.

It's still a struggle every day, but it is slowly coming off, 50 pounds so far and a hundred more to go. I am thankful for a second chance and I want to not only prove to others I can do it to but mostly to myself. I know my body will never be the same as it was in HS, but I want to see how good it can be at 44.

Good luck and safe journey to you all. -Nancy

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    I injured myself 10 years ago and worked on my feet 40 hours a week at a plus size women's clothing store. I had a 4 and 2 year old and thought how can I focus on myself? There is just no time, I'm a FT working mom with a crazy schedule and my injury just won't completely heal. I felt like I was getting nowhere fast and my mobility was terrible. I got home and just sat in the recliner after the day's busyness was done with my swollen painful feet and ankles, ate cookie doh and brownies and thought, "I'm old." I was 34.

The truth was I was overweight anyway at the time of my injury (100 pounds over weight according to the BMI charts) which did not aid in my recovery. The weight slowly came on even more and I gained another 50 pounds over the course of the next 10 years. I gave up for a while, an entire decade which I can't get back now. So, I'm doing something about it going on 7 months now and carving time out for me, my girls are 12 and 14 and I don't want to get sick or die and leave them or my husband alone because of something I can directly DO somthing about.

It's still a struggle every day, but it is slowly coming off, 50 pounds so far and a hundred more to go. I am thankful for a second chance and I want to not only prove to others I can do it to but mostly to myself. I know my body will never be the same as it was in HS, but I want to see how good it can be at 44.

Good luck and safe journey to you all. -Nancy

What a great testimony! Keep it up!
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used a lot of excuses. Some of the "I don't need to lose weight because I'm in good health" and "My husband is still attracted to me, so who cares". Some along the lines of "I have PCOS so I can't lose weight without cutting carbs, and I hate doing that".
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I truly believed that I was just "meant" to be obese. I had weight problems from childhood on, and was over 200 lb by my teenage years. I was always taller and heavier than the women around me, older or younger. I felt like I was eating the same or less than they were and most of the time I looked to my (overweight) dad or boyfriends for appropriate portion amounts, or took it that a Value Meal from a restaurant was an appropriate portion.

I thought as an adult that I really couldn't lose weight because the times when I ate a lot less than normal I still fit into the same clothes as during times when I ate a lot more than normal. I told myself "It doesn't matter what you eat, you'll always be 260 lb" and for like 10 years that was true for me but then my weight shot up to 300 and I realized I needed to eat less and exercise more for health, even if it didn't result in much weight loss (which it didn't, at first, years before "discovering" MFP)

For an otherwise smart woman, I was really ignorant about CICO and even general nutrition. It wasn't until I found this website that changes came more easily for me and now I've lost (in total) 140 lb.

Other denial-type excuses...some better "backed" than others...I always managed to fit into plus size clothes really well and never had trouble finding clothes to fit/flatter, so when a lot of my friends gained weight with pregnancy or sedentary habits I felt like I was "meant to be plus" because I didn't have the fit problems they shared with me. I didn't have weight related health issues like diabetes or COPD or any of that (YET...thankfully it didn't come to that). I was pretty well proportioned and always had a thin face compared to my body, so it was easy to live in denial.