is 1,200 calories too low?

13»

Replies

• Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    100% of my eating is healthy lean protein,veggies & fruit
    Nothing else, i also workout 5 days a week 1 hour of cardio& 45 mins of strenght
    Training so i highly doubt it's muscle loss.

Yeah, thats how I feel. I eat a low-calorie high-protein diet and I still have plenty of energy to exercise everyday. I can't imagine it's muscle loss when I'm significantly stronger and faster than I was before, lol. Proof's in the pudding. I like what this guy said:
    ... but (I) see nothing unhealthy about 1200! Hardly starving yourself as some have posted. If your works outs start to lag up the protein a little but you sound on track!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    100% of my eating is healthy lean protein,veggies & fruit
    Nothing else, i also workout 5 days a week 1 hour of cardio& 45 mins of strenght
    Training so i highly doubt it's muscle loss.

Yeah, thats how I feel. I eat a low-calorie high-protein diet and I still have plenty of energy to exercise everyday. I can't imagine it's muscle loss when I'm significantly stronger and faster than I was before, lol. Proof's in the pudding. I like what this guy said:
    ... but (I) see nothing unhealthy about 1200! Hardly starving yourself as some have posted. If your works outs start to lag up the protein a little but you sound on track!

How you feel and getting stronger doesnt mean you havent lost muscle. Without track body composition, you wouldnt know that. Getting stronger just means your muscles are becoming more efficient. Regardless, the leaner you become the more likely you will lose more muscle, especially for an active man at 1000-1500 calories. But listening to your body will not give you any indication of muscle loss.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    People make the claims about muscle loss but the numbers usually don't add up. A pound of fat supplies 3500 calories; a pound of muscle only 600. When you plug in the numbers and see what your deficit for a week was versus how much you lost, it would be really obvious if a lot of it came from muscle because the loss would be really high. I have run my numbers and they make sense for burning mostly fat. Yes, I probably lost a little muscle also that I may have to put back on, but only a little.