jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

<3

I so have to make this now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Lol, blames journalism for how things are deciphered and then makes an article about perspective on food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    nuffer wrote: »
    Bacon is, by definition, cured pork. Your "uncured" bacon most likely lists celery juice as an ingredient. Celery is a great source of sodium nitrite and that's the stuff that cures it and turns it that tantalizing pink color and contributes to its flavor.

Real uncured bacon would be pork belly. Also delicious. But it's not bacon.
    </pork nerd>

Yes, it has this in it: Pork, Water, Less Than 2%: Salt, Vinegar, Celery Powder - so I still don't understand how that makes bacon bad.

People see the term "sodium nitrite" and assume it's bad stuff. Because it sounds like a chemical. And there was an article back in the '70s linking nitrate/nitrite to increased risk of cancer. That research is now discredited.

There really is no such thing as "uncured bacon". If it's not cured with pure sodium nitrite, it's cured from the nitrate/nitrite in celery. Or beets. The nitrates in celery powder convert to nitrite as part of the curing/aging process. The definition of bacon is that it has been cured. That cure is what increases its safety and shelf life and gives it a distinct flavor.

You can find plenty of articles that say too much cured meat is unhealthy. What I've never been able to find is why the nitrite in meat is somehow a greater danger than the nitrates in vegetables.

I'm guessing that the research that links excess cured meat intake to increased cancer risk may not be taking into account that other eating choices, like too much food overall, may be more of a contributor than the sodium nitrite.

I like this answer. I'm going to keep eating my healthy bacon. :smiley:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    in semi related news, bacon was buy 1 get one free at the grocery store this morning.

guess who came home with 4 pounds of bacon? LOLOLOLOLOL
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and bacon sandwich = awesome.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Dreams really do come true... Someone brought in a box of bacon caramel doughnuts this morning to work.

3rvok3mcocsq.jpg