How much $ is your gym?

Options

Replies

• carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    $20/month. I'm at a Canadian version of Planet Fitness.
  • CMLatsha
    CMLatsha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just go to Planet Fitness: open 24 hours, $10/month, and exercise bikes and showers work perfectly well.
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I pay $30 a month and it's open 24 hours, and I have childcare for both of my kids included...
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    $40/mo www.brutestrengthgym.net
  • bdlingafel
    bdlingafel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I currently pay $20 a month for a 24/7 gym I go to. It's a little hometown gym, but has everything I need. Come June, they are running a special $129.99 for a year...
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    $10/month (no contract and 24/7) with a $30/year charge (I use this for cardio). A "real" gym (with rock wall, sauna, weights, classes, etc.) in my area is $35/month (1 year contract and 24/7) with a $40/year charge.
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I pay $19.99/month at World Gym... I used to pay $5/class outside of the gym and now I can go to unlimited classes whenever I'd like. And I'm trying new ones, too!
  • myturn15
    myturn15 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    $40/mo www.brutestrengthgym.net

Looks like a great place to really learn weightlifting. I couldn't find anything like that near me, or they had weird hours.
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I pay $30 a month for LA Fitness. My coworker pays $70 a month for Lifetime Fitness right up the street. That's too much for me. I went to Singapore last year and the gyms there charge $120 a month so it's all relative.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live... I pay around $60 and it's a great situation for me given the gym locations & classes. Other gyms cost hundreds, which is way out of my price range, and cheaper gyms aren't near me and thus would be a waste of money as I'd never go.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    I use PF for cardio, and a real gym for weightlifting. PF is $20/mo with my black card, and the real gym is $40/mo.

Why don't you do your cardio at the real gym? This would save $20 a month. Just curious.

Because the real gym only has two treadmills, and two ellipticals, all of which are nearly always either broken, or in use. Other than that, the rest of the gym is almost all free weights with a few weight machines, and resistance bands.

That, and PF is actually only a quarter mile from my apartment, so I can hit it up much more easily than I can the real gym.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    My gym was $40 per month for the family plus about $60 per month for gas there and back. Then I switched to the base gym which was free, but again, about $60 per month for fuel. Now I lift in my garage. I found a good used squat stand, bench, oly bar, and 455 pounds of plates for $150, added a used incline/decline bench for $35, second oly bar, curl bar, pieced together some dumbells and added 1" thick stall mats for the floor for another $250, and ordered three sets of good barbell collars for $50 give or take.

So I'm at about five to eight months worth of gym membership/fuel and now I just step into my garage, crank up the tunes and do my thing. Next on the agenda, I'm building a DL platform, buying a set of bumper plates, and a ceiling mounted pull up bar and wall mounter dip station and plate storage, all out of the funds I have saved from not having a gym membership. Highly recommended.

Rigger
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    $72.00 a year... I love it!
  • myturn15
    myturn15 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My gym was $40 per month for the family plus about $60 per month for gas there and back. Then I switched to the base gym which was free, but again, about $60 per month for fuel. Now I lift in my garage. I found a good used squat stand, bench, oly bar, and 455 pounds of plates for $150, added a used incline/decline bench for $35, second oly bar, curl bar, pieced together some dumbells and added 1" thick stall mats for the floor for another $250, and ordered three sets of good barbell collars for $50 give or take.

So I'm at about five to eight months worth of gym membership/fuel and now I just step into my garage, crank up the tunes and do my thing. Next on the agenda, I'm building a DL platform, buying a set of bumper plates, and a ceiling mounted pull up bar and wall mounter dip station and plate storage, all out of the funds I have saved from not having a gym membership. Highly recommended.

Rigger

My husband and I are talking about doing the same thing, but it will take awhile. This way we could work out together. Your home gym sounds great!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I pay about $55 a month at Goodlife. This includes fitness classes & child care (not that that last part applies to me). It's open 24 hours and in convenient location. The gym I was going to previously was about $45. The new place has more/better equipment & classes so I'm okay with paying a bit more.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Bonus, I never have to reconnoiter my routine because of a lack or barbells in the gym, or wait in line for a bench, or deal with some jackwagon doing curls in the squat rack, or put up with dirt balls who think their mom came to the gym to clean up after them and re-rack their weights.

Rigger
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    myturn15 wrote: »

Rigger

My husband and I are talking about doing the same thing, but it will take awhile. This way we could work out together. Your home gym sounds great!

That's what I did, and it's a world of difference, no more waiting, driving, done in 40 mins, upstairs and showered with no weird dudes walking around with their junk all out. Better than any gym. But the going rate around here for gyms are between 10- 64 dollars a month.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You could look into your local rec center - around here it is silly cheap... like $60 for the whole year. You get access to all the rec centers in the city - I think all of them have pools and like the picture posted above some are really geared toward kids and adults who are young at heart. Plus, you get a discount on classes offered and what not.

I go to YMCA for free while my service member is deployed. It's a nice perk, although I'd rather have him home...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I've said this before on threads discussing gym prices, but have never received a response or feedback, but I'll throw it out there again:
    Check with your health insurance for gym membership deals and discounts! Via a plan through my health insurance I pay $25.00 per month and I can go to ANY gym I want. Not just in my city. Nationwide. Super cheap and handy. Yes, you have to sign up at each gym, but that's a small price to pay, IMHO. (yes, I'm sure there are a few gyms that don't participate in this plan, but whatever; I don't travel much)