How much $ is your gym?

Options
123457»

Replies

• myturn15
    myturn15 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for sharing! I look forward to making a decision soon:)
  • recklesswithacapitalr
    Options
    $15/mo and I love it!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I use the little dinky one that is part of our apartment complex. So it costs nothing (extra) but it also hasn't got the most supplies and machines. But I get the job done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    myturn15 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am just trying to get a feel for monthly prices of gyms. I am currently trying to decide between two. It is a $20 difference a month and the two are very different. I like the more expensive one, of course. They open 30 minutes early in morning, which I will use.
    I just wanted to see if $77/month is totally outrageous or high average. What do you pay/month?

It depends on what you're getting out of it or wanting to get out of it. I pay around $33/month for a local 24/7 gym that caters mainly to lifters. It has good equipment, but it is a no frill kind of place...there are no classes, there is no pool, no child care, etc. People who go there do so primarily to get their lift on.

I paid around $80/ month as I recall at my old gym...and something like $120 when I upgraded my membership to "family". You got a lot of bang for your buck there though. Equipment was great...gym was large with a large cardio area as well as a separate weight lifting area...indoor short track, basketball/volleyball gymnasium, any number of fitness classes from spin to yoga to ballroom dancing, Olympic swimming pool, child care, etc. It also had a lot of other perks that you could pay extra for too.

I also liked that they had a small cafe with good quality food as I was often there in the evening and I could just grab something on the way out for dinner. It was nice on weekends too because my wife and I would workout and then go hit the cafe for a coffee or something to take advantage of the total 2 hours of childcare while we were at the gym.

That place was great, but ultimately the commute got to us...we were having to commute 30 minutes each way just to workout for an hour.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    About $75 a month - with childcare for two kids. It's a Ruby level membership with Golds. I'm happy with it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't come into these threads as I get a bit sad about how much more we pay for everything in Australia. My no-frills (just weights and cardio machines) 24/7 gym in $50 a month. IMHO I would pay an extra $20 a month if the services that are offered are ones that you will use and will make you more likely to go. I'd also pay extra for a better location. The more expensive gym membership you use 5 times a week is worth sooooo much more than the cheap one you don't use very often because you don't like it/it's out of the way/it doesn't offer what you need/it doesn't have child care/it doesn't open at the right times
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ten dollars/month at LA Fitness. My original contract with Nautilus Plus (1993) was transferred to Bally's Fitness and then to LA Fitness. They lose money on me because of my long, hot showers.
  • myturn15
    myturn15 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    I shouldn't come into these threads as I get a bit sad about how much more we pay for everything in Australia. My no-frills (just weights and cardio machines) 24/7 gym in $50 a month. IMHO I would pay an extra $20 a month if the services that are offered are ones that you will use and will make you more likely to go. I'd also pay extra for a better location. The more expensive gym membership you use 5 times a week is worth sooooo much more than the cheap one you don't use very often because you don't like it/it's out of the way/it doesn't offer what you need/it doesn't have child care/it doesn't open at the right times

You are very right. Since I am going to use the the extra half hour they open early compared to the other. I calculated that it is only about $1 more per workout day to get the extra time. So, that isn't too bad. I am almost late some days with losing that half hour.