daily calorie seems wrong

Options

Replies

• bblondeclair
    bblondeclair Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am currently waiting for disability social worker to get in touch.
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    I'm just putting this out there... I'm 5'4, and currently 236 (down from 310!). I work out 5-6 days a week (mix of swimming, weights, and other cardio), and I'm losing about 2lbs a week on average. I usually eat between 1800-2000 calories a day, and am losing this much. If you are working out, and logging accurately, you should be able to eat a lot more than 1300 to lose weight. Don't be afraid of eating back your exercise calories, or at least a portion of them!

Thanks I think I will eat more. Maybe add nuts or something to up the cals. I only eat 3 meals a day fruit inbetween.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah now I'm confused

Your OP says you've been eating 1300 - and you went to the docs because you're not losing weight

Now you're saying you've been eating 1800

and Now you're saying you're going to eat more

can you clarify please?

Oh and did you say you had over 70 lb to lose, your ticker says around 30 - are you micro-goaling it?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    bannedword wrote: »

I thought 2 pound a week was the norm to be honest. Sometimes I don't have time to exercise because I look after my boy. That's enough exercise on its own. I have 98 pounds to lose :)

EVERYONE has time to exercise. You choose not to. And that's okay.

But it's not because you don't have time.

My son's disabled he needs 24 hour care I don't have a chose but when I do I try really hard. Looking after my son is exercise as far as I'm concerned.

You are making excuses. I know the child sleeps. If you don't want to exercise, fine, no one cares and you can still lose weight. But it IS A CHOICE.

To the replier, that said "you are making excuses". You really need to apologize for your lac of understanding.
    Most of the time caretakers are just trying to ground themselves and relax during the time he/she "sleeps" IF they do. What do you think, people with disabilities take naps like children??? You think its easy putting someone elses needs before yours 24 hours a day for the REST of your life??? How ignorant are you? I was in an administrator role at a non profit organization that managed group home for people with physical and mental disabilities and I watched families deteriorate just from caring for someone with a disability. It was so labor intensive and they had no time for themselves or other children. This woman has probably worked harder and have scarified more than most of the people on here so give her some respect.

Yes, because caring for a disabled (paralyzed) husband, a grandfather confined to a wheelchair, and 3 children of my own.... I have NO idea what it is like to put others needs before my own.

Don't even begin to tell me what i do and dont understand because I deal with more *kitten* than the average person!

She didn't say you don't put other's needs before your own. And just because you don't have an easy time of it DOES NOT give you the right to judge anyone else's life. We are all different and we all cope in different ways and no one event/situation will effect everyone involved in the same way. VERY hypocritical of you to tell people to not 'even begin to tell me what I do and dont understand because I deal with more *kitten* than the average person' when that is EXACTLY what you did to OP.

• bblondeclair
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yeah now I'm confused

Your OP says you've been eating 1300 - and you went to the docs because you're not losing weight

Now you're saying you've been eating 1800

and Now you're saying you're going to eat more

can you clarify please?

Oh and did you say you had over 70 lb to lose, your ticker says around 30 - are you micro-goaling it?

My fitness pal told me to eat 1300 my doc said 1800 I been eating 1800 Because my friend said to deduct 500 cals from my tdee. I did explain this in posts. As for the ticker...it said to put my goal in and thats what my goal is for now and then I will make another one does that make sense? and no I have stayed the same for a few weeks on 1800. I haven't eaten my exercise cals (because i didn't know how many I burned?) I guessed on one occasion but I didn't eat my extra cals (II am still getting my way around this app) I have been told on here to eat more and to eat my exercise cals so that what I'll do thanks for the advice everyone.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Someone said to me not to eat what I burn. Now I'm confused that's why u have never put it in. Plus I do interval training it doesn't have it on mfp and I have no idea how many calories I'm burning

so make your own exercise

http://www.livestrong.com/article/548316-how-to-calculate-interval-calories/

Op, I am set to sedentary as well and get 1300, but enter my exercise and eat back some (like 20 to 50%) of those calories. I am dropping weight and mostly losing size. I started weight lifting about a month in now and am not as concerned with the scale, but it still is going down. Are you losing size and some weight? Try adding some exercise and eat a portion back.

@rabbitjb that link is great. I'm reading it now. I think this is what i'm doing now, but did not know what to call it. I run for about a minute every 1/3 of a mile than walk @ 4 mph. Gtk the term of what i'm doing :smiley:
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Someone said to me not to eat what I burn. Now I'm confused that's why u have never put it in. Plus I do interval training it doesn't have it on mfp and I have no idea how many calories I'm burning

Op, I am set to sedentary as well and get 1300, but enter my exercise and eat back some (like 20 to 50%) of those calories. I am dropping weight and mostly losing size. I started weight lifting about a month in now and am not as concerned with the scale, but it still is going down. Are you losing size and some weight? Try adding some exercise and eat a portion back.

@rabbitjb that link is great. I'm reading it now. I think this is what i'm doing now, but did not know what to call it. I run for about a minute every 1/3 of a mile than walk @ 4 mph. Gtk the term of what i'm doing :smiley:

I'm more confused than ever now. lol it don't take much. So if I want to lose 2 pound a week stick to the 1300 cals and eat a percentage of my exercise? Do you weigh the same as me?
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I thought 2 pound a week was the norm to be honest. Sometimes I don't have time to exercise because I look after my boy. That's enough exercise on its own. I have 98 pounds to lose :)

My son's disabled he needs 24 hour care I don't have a chose but when I do I try really hard. Looking after my son is exercise as far as I'm concerned.

You are making excuses. I know the child sleeps. If you don't want to exercise, fine, no one cares and you can still lose weight. But it IS A CHOICE.

To the replier, that said "you are making excuses". You really need to apologize for your lac of understanding.
    Most of the time caretakers are just trying to ground themselves and relax during the time he/she "sleeps" IF they do. What do you think, people with disabilities take naps like children??? You think its easy putting someone elses needs before yours 24 hours a day for the REST of your life??? How ignorant are you? I was in an administrator role at a non profit organization that managed group home for people with physical and mental disabilities and I watched families deteriorate just from caring for someone with a disability. It was so labor intensive and they had no time for themselves or other children. This woman has probably worked harder and have scarified more than most of the people on here so give her some respect.

Yes, because caring for a disabled (paralyzed) husband, a grandfather confined to a wheelchair, and 3 children of my own.... I have NO idea what it is like to put others needs before my own.

Don't even begin to tell me what i do and dont understand because I deal with more *kitten* than the average person!

If you understood her situation then you would have NEVER had that attitude with her.

On your profile you have 11 cats, 2 dogs too? You also are a foster mother (admirable). Your husband is partially paralyzed and I am not saying that's not hard because its gotta be challenging at times but according to the pics you guys went sailing and horseback riding too? smh.

Any exert from you profile
    "love the beach (and go frequently), being in the pool, gardening, knitting (i can only make scarves... want one? LOLOL), thrift stores, and spending time with my friends!"

My point: You have chosen most of the chaos in your life with a few unwanted hardships. You seem to have time for a lot of things that YOU like. I simply believe that you up-played that last post to try to make yourself look like a victim and make an excuse for your rudeness.

This lady is having a hard time finding time for herself and was looking for support. How about instead of saying "Thats an excuse" say something like "I understand (because you said you apparently do) and here are a few possible options".

I gotta go to the gym, I'm not wasting any more of my time with someone like you.
  • bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I do think that your approach is a little harsh and thats why its been taken the way it has.

Everybody is different, I have Arnold Chiari Malformation, some days i cant even open my eyes without pain other im on and i can walk my dogs and be "normal-ish" but all it takes is for me to laugh too hard or cough any i get blinging pains in my head.

I dont have the choice to be able to excersise, im either haveing a good day or a bad day but all days anything more than a gentle walk can bring about alot of pain, Yoga, stretches, anything that causes any sort of pressure in my body all hurt me.

But as the OP has said she does what she can when she can - she isnt making excuses.

She wants help and advice as do most people on MFP

OP you could try squats and pressups against the bench whilst your cooking, I have a Jawbone up that tracks my steps and sleep, it adjusts MPF for me letting me know what i should aim for in a day :smile:

Also try upping your food to 1800 and just make healthier choices like no bread bun with a burger or boiled potatoes instead of chips to cut the fats down. I have an actifry - i love it!

Good Luck
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    bb4886 wrote: »
    quote]

I do think that your approach is a little harsh and thats why its been taken the way it has.

Everybody is different, I have Arnold Chiari Malformation, some days i cant even open my eyes without pain other im on and i can walk my dogs and be "normal-ish" but all it takes is for me to laugh too hard or cough any i get blinging pains in my head.

I dont have the choice to be able to excersise, im either haveing a good day or a bad day but all days anything more than a gentle walk can bring about alot of pain, Yoga, stretches, anything that causes any sort of pressure in my body all hurt me.

But as the OP has said she does what she can when she can - she isnt making excuses.

She wants help and advice as do most people on MFP

OP you could try squats and pressups against the bench whilst your cooking, I have a Jawbone up that tracks my steps and sleep, it adjusts MPF for me letting me know what i should aim for in a day :smile:

Also try upping your food to 1800 and just make healthier choices like no bread bun with a burger or boiled potatoes instead of chips to cut the fats down. I have an actifry - i love it!

Good Luck[/quote]

I was thinking of getting one of those (jjawbone) or fitbit I was looking at Them. They do look really good. Can you tell me what OP stands for lol x
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

If you understood her situation then you would have NEVER had that attitude with her.

On your profile you have 11 cats, 2 dogs too? You also are a foster mother (admirable). Your husband is partially paralyzed and I am not saying that's not hard because its gotta be challenging at times but according to the pics you guys went sailing and horseback riding too? smh.

"love the beach (and go frequently), being in the pool, gardening, knitting (i can only make scarves... want one? LOLOL), thrift stores, and spending time with my friends!"

My point: You have chosen most of the chaos in your life with a few unwanted hardships. You seem to have time for a lot of things that YOU like. I simply believe that you up-played that last post to try to make yourself look like a victim and make an excuse for your rudeness.

This lady is having a hard time finding time for herself and was looking for support. How about instead of saying "Thats an excuse" say something like "I understand (because you said you apparently do) and here are a few possible options".

I gotta go to the gym, I'm not wasting any more of my time with someone like you.

Pretty judgy. Her profile doesn't necessarily describe her life - maybe she just focused on the positive aspects there.

She's not allowe to go sailing? Smh.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Pretty judgy. Her profile doesn't necessarily describe her life - maybe she just focused on the positive aspects there.

But did you see the way callsitlikeiseeit became abusive telling OP not to judge her life when she did the EXACT same thing to the OP all in the same post? It was pretty hypocritical and head-banging-on-desk worthy.
  • uvi5
    Options

I'm more confused than ever now. lol it don't take much. So if I want to lose 2 pound a week stick to the 1300 cals and eat a percentage of my exercise? Do you weigh the same as me?

No, I weigh 150 and am 5, 5', but when you entered your cw under your goals and set to "sedentary" it gave you 1300 as a minimum. In otherwords if you don't exercise than eat that, but if you do eat back some (not all because from what I am reading, mfp overestimates calorie burns) and see how you do over time and adjust as needed to meet your goal.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

But did you see the way callsitlikeiseeit became abusive telling OP not to judge her life when she did the EXACT same thing to the OP all in the same post? It was pretty hypocritical and head-banging-on-desk worthy.

Sure and then it becomes this on going struggle about who's life is harder, perpetuating the one person's judginess by doing what? Adding more of the same.

My bad. Carry on.
  • bblondeclair
    Options

No, I weigh 150 and am 5, 5', but when you entered your cw under your goals and set to "sedentary" it gave you 1300 as a minimum. In otherwords if you don't exercise than eat that, but if you do eat back some (not all because from what I am reading, mfp overestimates calorie burns) and see how you do over time and adjust as needed to meet your goal.

Ok thank you x
  • uvi5
    Options

Ok thank you x

:smiley: I'm learning too, keep it up you got this!
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    Listen I didn't want arguments. All I was was saying that it's hard for me to get out and do exercise. I can manage 2 to 3 times a week. I'm far from lazy because my son keeps me on my toes and he has to have 24 hr care. He sleeps 3 hours and that's the time I get to sleep myself. I'm ignoring the bad comments as I wasn't asking for advice on "how much exercise do I do" I envy anyone who can get out and about to do stuff xx peace xx
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Don't mean to be blonde but I just read it and still don't know how to work out what I'm burning. I do 15 mins interval on treadmill. 30 sec work 30 sec rest. Then I do 4 mins kettle bell. 20 sec work 10 sec rest for 4 mins. Then kettlebell squats same as above. Then I do 4 mins interval of sit ups. Then 4 mins of slam balls. Have no idea how much I have burned lol

Buy a heart rate monitor for a more accurate estimation of your calorie burn. Start logging more accurately, because at 1800 calories plus exercise, you should be losing steadily. Wait for the thyroid function test and come up with a plan with your doctor if it's under-active. It's not difficult.

• bb4886
    bb4886 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    OP IS ORIGINAL POSTER
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    bb4886 wrote: »
    OP IS ORIGINAL POSTER

Thanks lol I'm new to this x