daily calorie seems wrong

Options

Replies

• bblondeclair
    bblondeclair Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First thing is to find out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
    At 37, 18 stone, 2 lbs and 5'6 this website says you should eat 2269 calories a day to maintain your weight
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Saying that, I have found websites like that to overestimate the amount of cals you should consume.
    I am 240, 5'7, size 16 jean, 36 years old(almost) and my goal is 1883 which is obviously a lot lower than what the calculator told me. I do exercise a lot too.

When I last saw the nutritionist she told me that the average woman eats around 1500-1600 calories a day to maintain a healthy body weight but that's when they are at the ideal size, not overweight and the number goes up the more you weight obviously. I would start with those numbers, or even a little higher depending on how many calories you are burning when you work out.

I takes -3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. If you ate a 1500 cal a day diet, the 2269-1500 cals means your at a 769 deficit every day which is a 5383 deficit every week. If you burn 200 calories a day, that's another 1400 cals so that would be a total of 6783 = almost -2 lbs a week loss.

I hope that helps.

Thankyou
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry on my phone and missing everyone's questions I started end of feb. Lost in my first week and stayed the same since. I didn't expect the 3rd degree. I'm doing this because my son has a disability and i need to lose weight to care for him. Went to the doctors as there is a history of thyroid but if that's not the reason then it's my diet. My doctor said I should be eating 1800 cals a friend of mine told me I should deduct 500 cals from my tdee. Tdee is 2300 so 1800 cals seems right going by that. But fitness pal is saying 1300 which is a massive leap. From now on ill put in my exercises as u was wrongly advised. Thanks

That can certainly affect weight loss

BUT - nobody is having a go or giving you the 3rd degree, we all have our reasons to watch our weight - would you prefer to be doing it wrong and frustrated or people give you their honest opinions

MFP will give you a figure based on the information you put in - 1300 without exercise is based on you telling it your height, weight, current activity level (excluding exercise) and goal weight loss

if you have less than 75lb you should not be aiming for 2lb a week

how do you know your TDEE? 2300 is quite high .. I'm at slightly less than that and do considerably more exercise than you and have a decent musculature (5'8 and 160lb)

I thought 2 pound a week was the norm to be honest. Sometimes I don't have time to exercise because I look after my boy. That's enough exercise on its own. I have 98 pounds to lose :)
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Sorry on my phone and missing everyone's questions I started end of feb. Lost in my first week and stayed the same since. I didn't expect the 3rd degree. I'm doing this because my son has a disability and i need to lose weight to care for him. Went to the doctors as there is a history of thyroid but if that's not the reason then it's my diet. My doctor said I should be eating 1800 cals a friend of mine told me I should deduct 500 cals from my tdee. Tdee is 2300 so 1800 cals seems right going by that. But fitness pal is saying 1300 which is a massive leap. From now on ill put in my exercises as u was wrongly advised. Thanks

Your metabolic rate (calorie burn) can be reduced by thyroid issues.
    I really do hope it's not that :(
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I thought 2 pound a week was the norm to be honest. Sometimes I don't have time to exercise because I look after my boy. That's enough exercise on its own. I have 98 pounds to lose :)

EVERYONE has time to exercise. You choose not to. And that's okay.

But it's not because you don't have time.

• loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I thought you weren't supposed to eat back your exercise calories? That's what I've been told since I started this 2 years ago.

You didn't hear that on HERE.... if you go by TDEE you don't, but that's not how MFP is designed.

When I first started and posted about it on the forums I was told not to.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That can certainly affect weight loss

BUT - nobody is having a go or giving you the 3rd degree, we all have our reasons to watch our weight - would you prefer to be doing it wrong and frustrated or people give you their honest opinions

MFP will give you a figure based on the information you put in - 1300 without exercise is based on you telling it your height, weight, current activity level (excluding exercise) and goal weight loss

if you have less than 75lb you should not be aiming for 2lb a week

how do you know your TDEE? 2300 is quite high .. I'm at slightly less than that and do considerably more exercise than you and have a decent musculature (5'8 and 160lb)

You chose not to. Which is fine, weight loss occurs in the kitchen, anyways.

I have 3 children, care for a disabled husband, an 84 year old grandfather and own a business and work full time. and a 'zoo' of 13 animals to look after. I work out an hour each and every day.

its a choice.
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    bannedword wrote: »

My son's disabled he needs 24 hour care I don't have a chose but when I do I try really hard. Looking after my son is exercise as far as I'm concerned.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

My son's disabled he needs 24 hour care I don't have a chose but when I do I try really hard. Looking after my son is exercise as far as I'm concerned.

You are making excuses. I know the child sleeps. If you don't want to exercise, fine, no one cares and you can still lose weight. But it IS A CHOICE.
  • bblondeclair
    Options

You are making excuses. I know the child sleeps. If you don't want to exercise, fine, no one cares and you can still lose weight. But it IS A CHOICE.

Actually no he doesn't sleep!!!
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You are evidently eating more than your TDEE if you are not losing weight. Thyroid issues can affect your metabolism but not to a huge degree as you might think (http://www.thyroid.org/wp-content/uploads/patients/brochures/Thyroid_and_Weight.pdf). According to Health-Calc, a 36 year old women of your weight and who sleeps 7hours per night, will burn 2,677calories. Now you can give or take a 100 for individual differences in metabolism, but this calculator works pretty well, the equation has factored into it that obese people will tend to have their energy expenditure overestimated, so it will give a lower TDEE for people with a BMI over 30 (http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced).

Yep, you might think 2,600 calories seems huge, but if you want to lose weight slowly and be able to maintain the loss long term, then it's probably not a good idea to drastically cut your calories. I would recommend not going below 2,200 and defiantly not below 2,000. That way you will still feel full and satisfied each day, while slowly losing weight right down to around 190lbs - the weight that can be sustained eating 2,200 calories per day (while inactive). If you are exercising as you say, then your weight may go lower than 190lb on 2,200 calories per day.

But in any event, not eating enough calories will NEVER cause you to maintain or gain weight. So you are eating more than you are burning at the moment - most likely due to incorrect recording, not because you are actually burning less than 1,300 calories daily - no, not physically possible.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

okay then
  • bblondeclair
    Options
    You are evidently eating more than your TDEE if you are not losing weight. Thyroid issues can affect your metabolism but not to a huge degree as you might think (http://www.thyroid.org/wp-content/uploads/patients/brochures/Thyroid_and_Weight.pdf). According to Health-Calc, a 36 year old women of your weight and who sleeps 7hours per night, will burn 2,677calories. Now you can give or take a 100 for individual differences in metabolism, but this calculator works pretty well, the equation has factored into it that obese people will tend to have their energy expenditure overestimated, so it will give a lower TDEE for people with a BMI over 30 (http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced).

Yep, you might think 2,600 calories seems huge, but if you want to lose weight slowly and be able to maintain the loss long term, then it's probably not a good idea to drastically cut your calories. I would recommend not going below 2,200 and defiantly not below 2,000. That way you will still feel full and satisfied each day, while slowly losing weight right down to around 190lbs - the weight that can be sustained eating 2,200 calories per day (while inactive). If you are exercising as you say, then your weight may go lower than 190lb on 2,200 calories per day.

But in any event, not eating enough calories will NEVER cause you to maintain or gain weight. So you are eating more than you are burning at the moment - most likely due to incorrect recording, not because you are actually burning less than 1,300 calories daily - no, not physically possible.

I been eating 1800 so I'm not eating enough? Problem is healthy food is low in cals. maybe I should have that bottle of wine lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

I been eating 1800 so I'm not eating enough? Problem is healthy food is low in cals. maybe I should have that bottle of wine lol

you are eating more than you think you are. eating MORE will NOT solve your problem!
  • bblondeclair
    Options

okay then

If you have a look at my posts I have said I exercise but I can't do it everyday. I got to the gym 2 maybe 3 times a week. If i have care for my son.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

okay then

If you have a look at my posts I have said I exercise but I can't do it everyday. I got to the gym 2 maybe 3 times a week. If i have care for my son.

thats great but the fact remains that you lose weight in the KITCHEN - exercise is for general and cardiac health (and yes, helps weight loss, but isn't required).

You almost certainly, are eating more than you think. Get a food scale. Use it for EVERYTHING you put in your mouth.
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I really hate to say this and it really sucks to hear but you may be on your feet all day but it really only counts toward normal daily activity, not exercise :( I have seen it over and over again with moms saying "I am busy all the time running around after kids" but it simply doesn't get up your heart rate up like focused exercise does.

To the replier, that said "you are making excuses". You really need to apologize for your lac of understanding.
    Most of the time caretakers are just trying to ground themselves and relax during the time he/she "sleeps" IF they do. What do you think, people with disabilities take naps like children??? You think its easy putting someone elses needs before yours 24 hours a day for the REST of your life??? How ignorant are you? I was in an administrator role at a non profit organization that managed group home for people with physical and mental disabilities and I watched families deteriorate just from caring for someone with a disability. It was so labor intensive and they had no time for themselves or other children. This woman has probably worked harder and have scarified more than most of the people on here so give her some respect.

Saying that, if you don't have time to yourself you need help hunny. There are resources out there that can help you and even give your son more independence and social skills depending on his disability. You need to decompress, get out of the house and put yourself first every once in a while. Taking a few hours a day to go to the gym would do wonders for your energy both physically and mentally.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    edited April 2015
    Options
    duplicate

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

To the replier, that said "you are making excuses". You really need to apologize for your lac of understanding.
    Most of the time caretakers are just trying to ground themselves and relax during the time he/she "sleeps" IF they do. What do you think, people with disabilities take naps like children??? You think its easy putting someone elses needs before yours 24 hours a day for the REST of your life??? How ignorant are you? I was in an administrator role at a non profit organization that managed group home for people with physical and mental disabilities and I watched families deteriorate just from caring for someone with a disability. It was so labor intensive and they had no time for themselves or other children. This woman has probably worked harder and have scarified more than most of the people on here so give her some respect.

Yes, because caring for a disabled (paralyzed) husband, a grandfather confined to a wheelchair, and 3 children of my own.... I have NO idea what it is like to put others needs before my own.

Don't even begin to tell me what i do and dont understand because I deal with more *kitten* than the average person!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    You're the ignorant one! It is a choice. a Choice i make every *kitten* day, because if i DONT make that choice, I won't be here to care for all these people.

But what the *kitten* do i know.
  • bblondeclair
    Options

I really hate to say this and it really sucks to hear but you may be on your feet all day but it really only counts toward normal daily activity, not exercise :( I have seen it over and over again with moms saying "I am busy all the time running around after kids" but it simply doesn't get up your heart rate up like focused exercise does.

Saying that, if you don't have time to yourself you need help hunny. There are resources out there that can help you and even give your son more independence and social skills depending on his disability. You need to decompress, get out of the house and put yourself first every once in a while. Taking a few hours a day to go to the gym would do wonders for your energy both physically and mentally.

Thanks for understanding x