To Share Your Diary or Not to Share...

124»

Replies

• yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    My diary is not open to the public as I don't think a complete stranger whom I have no interaction with is in a place to comment if I have an off day or if I decided on a beer rather than cabbage.

My MFP friends can see it and I welcome comments or criticism from them as they know me a bit better and at least have an idea of my goals and way of life rather than looking at a food diary in isolation. I sometimes get comments from them about not eating veg and that's fine - it reminds me I'm an adult now and I can't live on biscuits forever :)
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    I keep mine open, I try and make healthy choices but some times I falter, I am only human after all...yes I drink and occasionally eat things I shouldn't but we are all human and all make mistakes from time to time...I find it keeps me honest about what I eat and if others want to judge that is fine...that being said I love looking at my friends diaries when I have the time it gives me ideas on other healthy low calorie meals I may not have thought of and I hope my diary provides my friends with the same. whether you share or don't I really think it does not matter, this site is here for you to help you on your journey if you choose not to share that is what works for you :smooched:
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Open to public.

I'm thinking of closing it now though, I didn't know what you ate was a national security threat.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    why not
  • Mine is open.

BEHOLD MY PIZZA AND ICE CREAM

And I'm still (slowly) losing weight.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    i keep mine open,
    nothing to hide and probably one of the most boring and basic diary's on here anyway

not sure how may people other than who is on your friends list would actually be diary snooping anyway?, but if they wanted too then it does'nt bother me
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Closed. Most of the products are from Dutch origin anyway, so I doubt anyone would get much information from it other than macro's.
  • Closed, I don't feel the need to flaunt what I eat everyday or flip through what my pals do.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member

I leave mine open. It doesn't matter to me what people think of what I eat. ............ If I have a day where I am over, they need to get over it, cause I know that I do!

I do have one friend here on MFP that consistently eats 800ish calories a day. He'd be called out on it nearly everyday (not in a mean way, and by someone different each time). Funnily enough, that person now has a closed diary yet still finishes each day "under their calorie goal." So nothing's changed. Evidently, when you have disordered eating, you want to keep that secret... (Not that this is why everyone who has a closed diary doesn't open theirs...so don't make inferences that aren't true...)

I've lost friends who were undereating consistently, now I don't comment on diaries I can't see. If they end the day with "xxxx was under their calorie goal" and I can't tell if that was by 50 calories or 800 calories I don't comment at all. There's nothing like a string of mindless "Way to go" messages to reward dangerous undereating.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member

I leave mine open. It doesn't matter to me what people think of what I eat. ............ If I have a day where I am over, they need to get over it, cause I know that I do!

I do have one friend here on MFP that consistently eats 800ish calories a day. He'd be called out on it nearly everyday (not in a mean way, and by someone different each time). Funnily enough, that person now has a closed diary yet still finishes each day "under their calorie goal." So nothing's changed. Evidently, when you have disordered eating, you want to keep that secret... (Not that this is why everyone who has a closed diary doesn't open theirs...so don't make inferences that aren't true...)

I've lost friends who were undereating consistently, now I don't comment on diaries I can't see. If they end the day with "xxxx was under their calorie goal" and I can't tell if that was by 50 calories or 800 calories I don't comment at all. There's nothing like a string of mindless "Way to go" messages to reward dangerous undereating.
    I've deleted friends for that. When I had flu and barely managed 300 a day, the 'way to go!' was more irritation than I was willing to put up with. Now I don't close my diary at the end of the day, and that way it doesn't show up at all.
  • I have mine open to friends (I believe), but no one comments on it anyway (could be the lack of friends on here though). I sometimes look at other diaries just to see how others are doing it, and sometimes I get an idea (could be as simple as "I haven't had strawberries in a long time!"), but since I eat a veg*n most people's diaries don't inspire me.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Mine's open. Why not? I don't care who sees it.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    I've always had mine open. It's all about accountability! You just have to be accountable for yourself so it doesn't matter what others think. Also, I like to see what other's eat just for ideas myself. :)
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    I don't mind sharing my diary. I figured if I joined this community for support then I need to be opened minded to others' advice or opinion. I think some people are afraid of being judged for their food choices. I look at it as just being honest with yourself. If you can actually see what you are putting or not putting in your body and how it is affecting your weight loss/gain, it can only help you.

^^THIS^^!!!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    I keep mine open altough in most other things in life I am pretty private. I don't care if people know what I eat. I like to look at my friends' diaries for ideas too. When I first started this I had one friend send a message about she was dropping anybody who didn't have open diaries and I saw where mine was closed (maybe that's default?) and I was a bit taken aback. I thought that a bit extreme- to each his or her own.
    I have friends from different countries and get a kick at the different foods other people eat, maybe they get a kick out of seeing what I eat. Sometimes it includes things some "city" folk turn their noses up at - deer , squirrel, wild rabbit- altough lately it has been a lot of pork from pigs raised on my farm.