shoe help please

Options
2»

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    gsschulte wrote: »
    Personally I go to a running specific store and buy 1 pair of shoes for the gym. Having 2 shoes at 100 bucks each is a bit much to ask especially if you are lifting light and doing elliptical. When you go to a running shoe store tell them what you are doing treadmill etc and they should evaluate your pronation and suggest a few shoes. Try them all on and pick the most comfortable. I have experience with a few brands. I like mizunos but they breakdown the fastest on me, I think new balance should die in a fire when I walk in them, but my sister loves them, and I usually end up with asics which my brother hates so definitely try on every option and see what works for you. And be sure to buy a shoe you like since you will be running/jogging/walking in them this is one area of my gym items that I am very picky about since the shoe will make your foot move different if you pronate a great deal so make sure you love them before you walk out. A good running store will have a treadmill you can try the shoes out on for a bit.

My running store is good but they don't have a treadmill.
    Not all running shops have the space for it, there's nothing wrong with going to a place without one.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My latest pair of running shoes I got over lunch hour and there was another runner there evaluating pairs. We kept the clerk hopping, let me tell you! The Running Room hires runners and they can be so helpful. We tried on many pairs each and my co-shopper was much pickier than I was, walking back and forth and around the store. I wish I had spent more time because the Adidas I ended up getting gave me a blister the first day.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My latest pair of running shoes I got over lunch hour and there was another runner there evaluating pairs. We kept the clerk hopping, let me tell you! The Running Room hires runners and they can be so helpful. We tried on many pairs each and my co-shopper was much pickier than I was, walking back and forth and around the store. I wish I had spent more time because the Adidas I ended up getting gave me a blister the first day.
    Most running shops have a 30 day (at least) return policy
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    gsschulte wrote: »
    Personally I go to a running specific store and buy 1 pair of shoes for the gym. Having 2 shoes at 100 bucks each is a bit much to ask especially if you are lifting light and doing elliptical.

The right running shoes needn't be $100, and the other shoes certainly don't need to be.

Running shoes have a mileage life of about 300-500 miles, so using them for other things, particularly resistance training, reduces their useful life significantly. As with Ishie, I retire my running shoes to use for other things after they're lifed out.

Running shoes also start to wear, with that wear pattern driven by gait. I opened a new pair three weeks ago, I've done 50 miles in them and can already see quite distinctly the indicators of my running style on there. Using them for other things would put different wear on them, making them less useful for running. Whilst the originator is only doing very short distances similar principles apply. That said, if someone is doing only 3 miles a couple of times per week on a dreadmill I can understand not enjoying running. I can cope with about 10 minutes on one of those things.

That said, LoneWolfRunner also has a point, minimalist or barefoot shoes might be appropriate for the originator.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options