Why am I so heavy?

Options
124»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    bb4886 wrote: »
    This is a bit off topic but since OP has had her question answered . . .

Is it common to know what your friends weigh? I know what sizes my friends are but I have no idea what they weigh. Am I doing friendship wrong?

My best friend I know yeah :-)

I don't even know my best friend's and she doesn't know mine. Guess I'm an odd ball-- no surprise there. ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Is it common to know what your friends weigh? I know what sizes my friends are but I have no idea what they weigh. Am I doing friendship wrong?

I know how much my sister weighs and my bestie. my sister is slimming for her wedding after having a baby, so we talk about weight, and my bestie is my only RL fitness pal so we talk about that sort of thing.

Is "slimming" anything like "cutting"?
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    “Comparison is the thief of joy.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

If you're happy with yourself, who cares what everyone else weighs. Don't ask, don't talk about it, just be happy if you like what you see in the mirror. I've always weighed more than I look, so the numbers on the scale are only meaningful to me.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and when I weigh around 140lbs, people say I look great, and that goes for men and women. If I fall under that, they start asking if I'm sick or something. I don't get it either really. Most gals think they are fat at 140lbs and short like me. It may be because I'm an hourglass figure, and I have a natural big booty and boobs, which account for some of it. Anyways, it probably is because you have more muscle than they do. Like people have said, don't go by the numbers. Some people carry it well I guess.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Being heavier is great - it means your body needs more calories just to maintain weight. Ergo more cake.

SO MUCH THIS!!!

I'm lighter than my friends who are smaller than me. I hate it. It means I have less muscle mass than they do, a higher body fat percentage at the same weight, and a lower TDEE than they do. It also means I'm wearing the same clothing size as women who weigh lots more than I do.

Of the two issues, I'd prefer to have yours over mine. The number on the scale doesn't matter all that much.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I don't even know my best friend's and she doesn't know mine. Guess I'm an odd ball-- no surprise there. ;)

I don't know any of that stuff either. It's not just you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I don't know mine's. But hers also changes a lot due to her health problems/how much she can exercise (which oftentimes is very little). She's still smaller than me, though, because a couple months ago she was cheering getting back into a size 8.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Some people are just more dense than others. Muscle is a huge factor.

In example, I'm 5'8 and 130 lbs right now. I have a small frame and not a lot of natural muscle. I was basically skin and bones (and fat!) before starting strength training last year.

One of my best friends is 5'4, the same weight. She is in great shape, has abs (I don't), arm muscles, and strong legs. She is also a large frame (not fat at all, just thick wrists, bones, etc).

We were shocked when we realized we weighed the same. I mean, we're both thin, both in shape, but 4 inches apart! AND she has abs and I don't! Bodies are just different and composition is different. I will probably never be as buff as she is (although I'm working towards it), and she will never have a frame like mine.

So don't feel bad about your body! The scale number means absolutely nothing. My weight sounds like I'm emaciated when in fact, I still have a lot of fat to lose in order to hit my goal of 18% body fat. The number is not one-size-fits-all. It doesn't account for body types and those differences.

If you want to tone up a certain area, do that. Go off of your measurements. But don't worry about what the scale says.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Worst.

Best friends.

Ever.

EVER!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

Can we stop with the meathead shaming?

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 143lbs (65kg) which I know isn't overweight as a size 8 (UK) that's all that should matter. But I'm the heaviest of all my friends and smaller than some, I do strength training 4 times a week and I am toned, so is it muscle that's keeping me heavy? I was lead to believe muscle is not heavier but just takes up less room than fat?

Anyway, I'm happy with my body shape which is the main thing I know, just wondered if anyone can clear up the muscle weight thing for me, thanks.

That's what heavier means...an equal amount by weight is less by volume. So yes, muscle DOES weigh more than fat. That's why you weigh more than your friends but are smaller...greater weight, smaller volume.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »

Can we stop with the meathead shaming?

This is the opposite of meathead shaming, it is way better to be muscular! You burn more calories, you look better, you don't jiggle, etc. I've been strength training to try to get more dense! Be proud of being buff! It's hard work!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Worst.

Best friends.

Ever.

EVER!

That is probably true.

But for completely unrelated reasons. ;)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Some of us just exert more force upon the earth. :)

Damn gravity!

I have a friend who weighs exactly half as much as I do. We are about the same degree of overweight. Frame size and build aside, people are just different and that is FINE.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I only know my best friend's weight (approximately) because she's not heavy enough to activate the dead man's switch on the forklifts she drives at work :wink:
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can be skinny without muscle tone, sounds like your friends are thin without muscle. You probly just have muscle which would cause you to weigh more then your friends.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I don't even know my husband's weight. Or size, for that matter.

size doesn't matter anyway

:noway: :tongue:
    segacs wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    size doesn't matter anyway

Yeah, that's just what the ladies tell you to make you feel better. :p

:+1:

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm "thinner" than my sister, but i weigh more than her. She is much more petite and smaller boned than me.