Are you afraid to weigh yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I typically only weigh the first 10 days after my period then don't for 3 weeks, as I never lose during that time anyway... so it's always a bit stressful to step on the scale.

It does help that I'm tracking as accurately as I can so I already have an idea of what the scale will say... and I'm usually pretty close. And if I'm not close, I know that I'm just retaining water weight and it will come off in a few days (I'm always right - I lost 2 pounds of water weight since yesterday, for example).

So, trusting the numbers and the science has made it easier. Because I track, I haven't had a really bad surprise yet (or I knew that those extra 6 pounds were water weight after Christmas, for example, so it really didn't bother me that much, I lost it all in a few days).

But I HAVE to weigh. For me not weighing myself is the first step of denial.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    focus on the fact that you're losing inches - the BEST way to gauge progress :) i hardly weigh myself. think of it this way: pro body builders are huge on the scale but their body fat% is really low and they are super healthy/fit!. so the scale is not a good way to measure progress!!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I love to weigh myself. I look forward to it every morning. I even bought a special scale that talks over my home wifi network to post my weight automatically to MFP. I love data. I love seeing the weight loss. I keeps me focused on progress.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ugh...I hate to weigh myself. 1 of 2 things can happen. I can get frustrated that I haven't lost (or haven't lost what I thought/hoped I would) or I'll do well & reward myself with a false sense of entitlement allowing me to eat quantities of food that would make anyone fat. I knew it was going to be a long process so I just keep logging & buying smaller pants, weighing occasionally. I'm fine as long as I'm accountable to my food diary.

It's a personal decision.
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm never afraid. I like to know where I stand even if it's not good. It helps keep me accountable and motivates me to work harder if I need to.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    The only times I'm afraid to weigh myself is after a bad few days of binging & around my period & during it.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most days but I only log it when the weight goes down. I know as long as I eat reasonably, then sometimes the scales might go up but they WILL go down again.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I am afraid to weigh myself. I have been on this eating path for almost 3 weeks now. I feel leaner and my clothes fit better so I know that the scale should not matter. But I have been so good and usually eating under my calories. Sometimes really hungry too. Exercising a good deal. Not a lot because I have a bum knee so I walk...a lot. Plus some upper body weight stuff. I do feel better but I am so afraid that I have not lost as much as I hope with all of the effort I have put in. I don't want to be discouraged. Do any of you feel that way too?

For me to be successful at this whole thing, I had to realize that weight loss/maintenance is mostly mindset, then calories and math. You have to get your head in the right place to make this work. One of the things that goes along with that is your relationship with the scale. Realize that it is simply a tool you can use, in order to get a better idea of your progress. It has no power over you, unless you let it. Remove all emotion from weighing yourself and you'll see how helpful the scale can be :)

I've been a daily weigher for over 3 years now and I have absolutely no emotion attached to my weigh-ins. It's like brushing my teeth or combing my hair. I weight myself, record the data on a phone app I use, and then move on with my day.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    campdawson wrote: »
    I weigh myself almost every morning and that keeps me on track. Not weighing for several years created a false sense that my burgeoning waistline was simply water weight, specifically around that time of the month. Next thing I knew I was 20 pounds overweight, then 30, 40, 50. I will always step on the scale daily. Don't be afraid.

Exactly what she said. Now I weigh myself daily. Keeps me in check
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why would i be afraid to weigh myself? its just a number.

there are far scarier things in the world...
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not really to be honest. I weigh daily (naked, in the morning) and keep a record at WeightGrapher so I can see the general trend. But I know that there will be days where my weight won't move, or even go up, so I am not bothered. I also take measurements every Sunday, and take photos every now and then to compare. They all lead to the bigger picture. :smile:
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Afraid to weigh yourself? That seems silly.

Are you afraid to know how tall you are?
    It's a little different though. You can't really control how tall you are. You have great deal more control over how much you weigh. Which I think is what scares people - I know it does me - the number on the scale to a great degree depict our own successes or failures, which in turn can both make us complacent and make us discouraged, depending on the circumstance.

What I think is important to understand is that the number on the scale is just one of many measures that depict our successes and failures. Other measures include body measurements/how well your clothes are fitting, whether you feel more energetic or lethargic, whether your level of physical fitness and mental sharpness has increased, etc.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yep, and when it happens for more than two days, I know I'm on a bad track. At the moment I'm weighing daily to stay in control, and trying not to let little gains upset me as I can rationalise them. tbh at the start its good to weigh yourself right away, because in the first week you can lose quite a lot and I find that a boost to progress.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I get very nervous right before I weigh myself every Friday morning
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself multiple times a day. I don't worry about the fluctuations though. I like seeing how what I eat and drink affect the numbers on the scale.

I think it's easier to see the weight loss when you weigh often. You'll see when you have a new low that you've never hit before. A couple days later that loss may disappear on the scale because of water retention from the food you ate, but you know you didn't get fatter. A lot of people prefer to weigh once a week, but that can sometimes be frustrating because it's easy to gain a few lbs in water weight which hides your fat loss.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I was, back when I was in denial about my weight. I refused to own a scale for the longest time.

Now I weigh religiously every morning. I even weighed myself in the medic's office on the cruise ship when I was on vacation. I am not nervous. I have even learned to keep track of how much I am or am not peeing to have a rough idea of how much water I am retaining. Then I am not surprised when I weigh 3lbs more/less today than yesterday. My weight always hits its lowest point about 2-3 days before my period starts. Once I have a new low, the next spike up tells me the rag is on its way. Zzz. Weighing in is interesting and fun.